What's the first thing that calls to you about a bag?

No Cute

cupcake butt
Aug 17, 2008
When I see purses, whether I intend to buy them or not, I always notice shape first. Then color and hardware. But a great shape ALWAYS makes me stop and look.

I don't really know what attracts me. I think colour (I love non-colours, mostly black and grey), but also texture - I like my bags either boxy/stiff and entirely smooth (i.e. McQueens Novak, Hermes Box Calf) OR completely pebbled and very distressed/textured (like most Fendi Spies, Chloe paddy etc.). I don't like 'in-betweens' (just soft leather without texture). So, I'd say both colour and texture do it for me.

I have color phases when looking for a bag, but I usually only buy leather bags. I will notice the quality of the leather first, then grab it to look at the style.

for me it's all about the handles. There is something to be said about where your handbag meets your body. There are so many different styles. It's what attracts me first.

Shape!!! I am very picky about my bags - I like very structured bags, sort of like the Louboutin on the PurseBlog right now ;) Since I hate slouchy bags and hobos, that rules out like half of all bags right there!!

Next is color - I loooove bright colors like pink blue and green, but a sleek sexy black, white or grey bag will make me stop in my tracks.

I recently looked at all my bags together and the ones I use all of the time have something interesting going on with the handles, they are either braided, twisted, or something else funky. The ones I never use are the ones with just plain jane handles. So I guess the handle either makes or breaks the bag for me. After that, it would be material, shape, and then color.

I think whether the shape calls out to me, and also looks functional. Each bag I buy has a special something that appeals to me... the hardware, the pockets, the space, the colour, the straps, the way it looks when you put it one. That's why I need so many bags!