What's the difference please

lulu86

Dec 27, 2010
I have been on here a while now and am very confused as to what makes the jumbo , maxis and maxi jumbo's different.

Been thinking for well over a year whether to jump in and buy one . Especially as they keep increasing the price :sad: . I have never set foot in a Chanel store or department and am worried as I find it really intimidating and don't knw what the SA will be like. Another thing do you have to notify your bank that you will be making a large purchase? I dnt knw what I'd do if it declined ( I have the money but you hear stories of this happening if they think it's unusual ).

Sorry for all the Q's !
Would love any advice

If you check the reference library, you will find many pictures of the different sizes, styles, etc.

Just briefy, Jumbos are about 12 inches across, they are probably the most popular size as many find the M/L (10 inches across) too small and the Maxi (13 inches across) too big. For the last year or so they now come with double flaps like the M/L.

Maxi vs. Maxi Jumbo - the Maxi was brought back in Spring 2009. (You may see vintage ones refered to as XL jumbo's) The shape was squarer and had the straight across flap. the leather was softer (both the Caviar & lamb) then the "normal" leather on flaps. This lead to the bags becoming unstructured and developing what we call "wings". For Fall 2009, the Maxi became the Maxi Jumbo. It was now made of the "harder" leather and was shaped exactly like an overgrown Jumbo. This style Maxi took off and is now permanent line. And when tPF refers to Maxi, we are usually talking about this style. Oh and like the Jumbo's they also went from single flaps to double a little over a year ago.

Hope that helps for now. Do read the reference threads. They are a great source of info. :smile:

Hi, don't be intimidated by the sales assistants, they are there to assist you while you shop, and you have the money, thus the power to make the transaction happen. If an SA is rude to you, don't shop with them, wait for a nice one to help you and answer all your questions.

In my experience, Chanel SA's have been really nice and patient with me, go in the store and try on different styles and sizes, the Jumbo is a good practical size, if you need more space go for the Maxi.

You could call your credit card co. ahead of time to avoid any issues, and find out if theres a limit amount on your card, or if you've ever been a victim of fraud there might be a monitoring service on your card, otherwise I think most people can charge without a problem.

Good luck, tell us how it goes :smile:

lulu86 said:
I have been on here a while now and am very confused as to what makes the jumbo , maxis and maxi jumbo's different.

Been thinking for well over a year whether to jump in and buy one . Especially as they keep increasing the price :sad: . I have never set foot in a Chanel store or department and am worried as I find it really intimidating and don't knw what the SA will be like. Another thing do you have to notify your bank that you will be making a large purchase? I dnt knw what I'd do if it declined ( I have the money but you hear stories of this happening if they think it's unusual ).

Sorry for all the Q's !
Would love any advice

You should not run into any problem with the bank if your debit card allows it. Most regular debit card has a limit of $3000 for daily purchase, the premier accounts ranges from $5000 and up. It's a good idea to let the bank know you'll be making a big purchase but I don't think it's necessary. Now if you ordered it from out-of-state then that's a different story. The debit fraud prevention might decline the purchase before they confirm it with you.

I have a great SA at NM Fashion Valley and she's super sweet and patient. PM me and I will give you her contacts. Dont be intimidated, they're there to assist you :smile: Good luck!

I get intimidated too especially if I am the only one in the store. I feel a little more comfortable when there are more people in the store. But they are there to help. I think you should go in and browse to see the purse irl.