What's the best way to handle this dispute?

Maybe try explaining to them the difference?

Good idea. It certainly sounds like you know more about MJ than the seller. You should document in detail the differences between the two bags. The point about the bag you got being readily available at Bloomies and the bag you thought you were getting being a more premium bag and hard to find is a good argument.

If it ends up going to a SNAD you will need this type of information anyway. Good luck.

According to the MJ girls the purse is authentic, so I'll be filing this as a SNAD if the seller doesn't change his mind about working with me on this.

As far as the differences in the bag...the hardware is different (the old style was more streamlined and simple),the color of the hardware is different (it used to be gorgeous shiny gold and now it is antiqued, which I'm not crazy about), the old bag used to have a keyring which was HUGE for me since I always lose my keys, and the biggest difference is the leather quality (the old bag had SUPER smooshy pebbled leather and the new one has much stiffer, cheaper feeling leather). I know I'm being picky but I already bought the bag he sent me once for $318 from Bloomies (over $100 less than his price for the bag)...I paid the extra $$ for the qualities I loved about the old Hilier :sad:

These sound like significant differences to me although I can see how someone who is not as familiar with the line as you are might not be aware. Have you explained these differences to the seller?

You have some good arguments and Paypal tends to favour the buyer so you should be able to win a SNAD if it comes to that.

Update: Told the seller what the differences were and that I really didn't want to go through the dispute process through Paypal since it would be time consuming for both of us. He agreed to refund the bag, so I'm shipping it back today! YAY!