Scarves What's the best way to get wrinkles out of a scarf?

I don't want to get the fold lines out that came with the scarf!!! They help with re-folding it properly. As to lines that come from wearing it, when one refolds the scarf along the original lines, they disappear in a matter of hours. Yes, even on scarves worn repeatedly over the years!

• Insightful
Reactions: Hermes Zen
I have refused a scarf because it had no fold lines!

(It was a scarf I had been looking for in a particular c/w for quite a long time and the only one my H store had was the one that was on the wall display).

However, if you really want to get rid of the folds, a very, very gentle pressing will do the trick, but avoid pressing the hems.

I personally don't like the original harsh folds or the stiffness of the scarves when they are new. You shouldn't feel worried if you don't like them either—you can hand wash the scarf, then iron (on low low heat, no steam) when slightly damp (make sure not to iron the folds).

The thing is, the folds lines will come back when you fold it up to store . . . It takes a lot of handwashing and wear before the silks become soft enough to quickly lose the fold lines. IMHO, I like it best when scarves become that soft.

I got my first Hermes scarf about 11-12 years ago. I'm always amazed that when I just re-fold the scarf after wearing (following the original fold lines), when I get it out again, any folds caused by wearing have disappeared completely! No, I don't leave it out overnight, just fold it and put it away in the silk lingerie case in which I keep my scarves.

I have no strong feelings either way about the fold lines. But eventually mine are destined to disappear when the scarf is washed or dry cleaned. If I get creases from wearing my scarf but it isn't yet time to clean it, I use a professional-grade steamer from Jiffy. (I highly recommend getting one of those anyway if you have clothes that you value and want to care for gently.)

I got my first Hermès carré as a New Year gift from my husband 5 years ago. At that time it was not only my first H carré - it was my first silk scarf in my life. I had absolutely no idea how to take care of it.
By that time I had already ruined a couple of sweaters in a washing maschine and since I knew that Hermès was the brand only gods kings and queens wear I was frightened to death to do anything with it:
Ironing? - Impossible! I will burn it!
Washing? - No way! The colors are so delicate, it'll lose it's shape, it's shine and the oroginal folds would dissapear.
I was so afraid to ruin it with a touch of iron or a drop of water that I just wore it for special occasions only and than carefully folded it along the 4 original fold lines and put it back in the box it came from hoping that H scarves would do their magic after a couple of nights of good sleep in their box and come out as perfectly polished and smooth as the first day...
But not all the creases after numerous wears went away that way. All those wrinkles and folds from being knotted around my warm human neck were more and more visible up to the point that a friend eventually asked me - Don't you ever iron your scarf?
I was so ashamed to wear this scarf anymore that I put it away since I was still too afraid to wash it and since childhood I knew that ironing something that has already been warm is a taboo - you will lock in dirt permanently.
After lots of reading I eventually bought a special soap for silk and washed my scarf in a maschine at "silk" mode - separately from other items, of course, in a protective bag for washing delicates.
The scarf turned out fine.
I dried it on a horizontal surface on a white sheet for an hour and after that I ironed it at lowest temperature trying my best to recreate 4 original H folds to fit my carré back into it's box like I always did. The folds weren't as perfect as they were from the store but what can I do? - I'm no wonder woman.

The queston still remains. It's a very painful subject for me. I worship Hermès. I have 7 H scarves now. I want those items to live as long as I do (like when you hear about those wonderful ladies who have had the same scarf for more than 20 years and it still looks like new) but I think my silks won't be very wearable if I wash them and iron them after each use... and if I don't - I'm wearing a scarf with creases that didn't go away overnight after previous use - and people see it.

I did not know some like the creases. I don't like them.

I hand wash my scarves ever so often (I am move concerned that a dry cleaner will ruin them). I also iron my scarves before each use (right side down) and I haven't damaged any yet.

When ironing scarves, be careful not to flatten the plump hems. That's what H scarves are known for and I think it takes like 12 hours for a crafts person to stitch. I like my folds crisp so I refold to the original lines.

Reactions: Hermes Zen
I did not know some like the creases. I don't like them.

I hand wash my scarves ever so often (I am move concerned that a dry cleaner will ruin them). I also iron my scarves before each use (right side down) and I haven't damaged any yet.
lynne_ross
when you say "ever so often" do you mean "from time to time" or "very often" ? How many wears per wash is it?