Scarves What's the best way to get wrinkles out of a scarf?

I began collecting Hermes scarves in the mid seventies. My mother handed a scarf to me in '85 to wear ( she had already had it for 20 years) and I still wear it. She always said (just like India) to fold them along the original pleats and they will last forever.Her scarves were always folded and put away on top shelf in hall coat closet as soon as she got home. I keep mine folded and in their original tissue and boxes.
How does the group here fold and store their shawls ?

What a great story! Your mother was clearly a very stylish woman who knew how to care for her expensive things. H scarves are meant to last for generations when cared for properly. I, too, fold all my scarves and put them away after use [H ones always go in their original boxes!]. I love the creases as well :biggrin: I have not washed an H scarf yet but I have hand-washed some Versace and Dior silks and they came out just fine; they even re-creased themselves overnight when they were folded and put away in boxes.

Just received my first scarf. How do I safely get the wrinkles from being folded out? And how do I prevent them in the future?
Great question....

I'm not 100% sure, but what seems to work for me is to just air them out a day or two on a hanger, then refold and place in the box.

I generally do not apply any kind of heat to the silk, esp. if it is not pristine, freshly washed, as that could cause any soiling to become 'set' into the fabric.

Another way of coaxing wrinkles out of clothing (and it could apply to scarves), is to hang it in the bathroom after taking a shower. The temporary humidity can help coax out wrinkles w/out having to apply high heat.

Hello! I was looking for advice on how to get scarves looking nice again after being worn but don't necessarily need to be washed.

Thank you!
There's a big thread on this, and the moderator will shut this one down and direct you there shortly, but in the meantime, I've had very good luck with the following:

When I'm done with a scarf for the day, I use a clip hanger (with extra padding) to hang the scarf by a corner. I leave it in the bathroom, and gravity starts to pull out some of the wrinkles. In the morning, the steam from the shower does a great job with the rest.

This works well with 70s and 90s. It's not as great with gavroches, which don't have quite the weight needed to pull out the wrinkles, but it does freshen them up and air out any odors they might have picked up.

I don't leave them hanging longer than 24 hours, because I worry a bit about corners stretching, but I haven't had any problems thus far. If the boutiques feel OK hanging them by a corner, so do I. Good luck!

Reactions: lulilu
There's a big thread on this, and the moderator will shut this one down and direct you there shortly, but in the meantime, I've had very good luck with the following:

When I'm done with a scarf for the day, I use a clip hanger (with extra padding) to hang the scarf by a corner. I leave it in the bathroom, and gravity starts to pull out some of the wrinkles. In the morning, the steam from the shower does a great job with the rest.

This works well with 70s and 90s. It's not as great with gavroches, which don't have quite the weight needed to pull out the wrinkles, but it does freshen them up and air out any odors they might have picked up.

I don't leave them hanging longer than 24 hours, because I worry a bit about corners stretching, but I haven't had any problems thus far. If the boutiques feel OK hanging them by a corner, so do I. Good luck!
Thank you!!!

I think this is different than washing scarves and a good question. I use a steamer, a Jiffy professional-level one. Either hang the scarf from soft clips or DH and I each hold a corner and steam lightly from a slight distance. Faster than a shower steam, and more eco-friendly. But then I'm a bit addicted to my steamer!

I think this is different than washing scarves and a good question. I use a steamer, a Jiffy professional-level one. Either hang the scarf from soft clips or DH and I each hold a corner and steam lightly from a slight distance. Faster than a shower steam, and more eco-friendly. But then I'm a bit addicted to my steamer!
I agree that the question is excellent. I wish this larger thread didn't have the word "fold" in the title: I kind of like the straight-from-the-boutique folds and try to preserve them. It's the scrunchy daily-wear wrinkles I'd like to remove.

The Jiffy J-2000 steamer will make scarves look much nicer than my lazy-person-with-only-a-cheap-unwieldy-travel-steamer-but-at-least-give-me-credit-for-showering-every-day method. Just curious: is there any risk that steam from the professional steamer will set a stain? It would be very like me to miss a drop of apple juice or oil spot or some other temporarily camouflaged spot that would then grab my eye forever once I had set it in permanently.

Reactions: QuelleFromage
I agree that the question is excellent. I wish this larger thread didn't have the word "fold" in the title: I kind of like the straight-from-the-boutique folds and try to preserve them. It's the scrunchy daily-wear wrinkles I'd like to remove.

The Jiffy J-2000 steamer will make scarves look much nicer than my lazy-person-with-only-a-cheap-unwieldy-travel-steamer-but-at-least-give-me-credit-for-showering-every-day method. Just curious: is there any risk that steam from the professional steamer will set a stain? It would be very like me to miss a drop of apple juice or oil spot or some other temporarily camouflaged spot that would then grab my eye forever once I had set it in permanently.

Exactly what I meant! There is a difference between store folds and refreshing worn scarves.
I use the Jiffy on everything...it's been life-changing. As far as I know it won't set stains - today I dropped moisturizer on a pair of silk culottes, wiped it quickly with water (yes, I use water on immediate spills on silk) and steamed it after air drying. Culottes look perfect. But every fabric and every stain is different.

Exactly what I meant! There is a difference between store folds and refreshing worn scarves.
I use the Jiffy on everything...it's been life-changing. As far as I know it won't set stains - today I dropped moisturizer on a pair of silk culottes, wiped it quickly with water (yes, I use water on immediate spills on silk) and steamed it after air drying. Culottes look perfect. But every fabric and every stain is different.
Did you hear about it ? No advertising, but I use this for many years and, I think, it beats your Jiffy :smile:
https://www.laurastar.ch/de/?gclid=CMbT3oz4s9QCFcoaGwodHnINNg

Did you hear about it ? No advertising, but I use this for many years and, I think, it beats your Jiffy :smile:
https://www.laurastar.ch/de/?gclid=CMbT3oz4s9QCFcoaGwodHnINNg
Yes, I'm familiar with Laurastar. The Jiffy is only about $200 and I have no issues with it - it is the model used by most high-end boutiques here - so no need to buy something more expensive (Laurastar floor models start at $700 in the US and go up from there).

Reactions: Belphoebe
Yes, I'm familiar with Laurastar. The Jiffy is only about $200 and I have no issues with it - it is the model used by most high-end boutiques here - so no need to buy something more expensive (Laurastar floor models start at $700 in the US and go up from there).
I didn't know the Jiffy was so inexpensive and I'll check if I can find it in Europe. The Laurastar is top, but costs an eye.

I have a question for the knowledgeable ladies of this forum.

What is your favorite steam iron for your scarves? Any one got one that is a pleasure to use and does a good job?

I noticed that the steam outlets on my iron are not very close to the edge of the iron so it makes it difficult to do the part next to hem. An iron that can get next to the hem is my major desire. Thanks.

Reactions: prepster