What's the best thing to do with this?

bamberio

O.G.
Jan 22, 2009
hello everyone,
I've not posted here in a long time but am looking for some help please. I got my white buffalo leather Alexa out of the dust bag to find it badly stained. The bag is about five years old now. I think it must have been the effect of suncream last year. I don't know what to do for the best, either to sell or keep the bag and try and fix it. The Handbag Spa offered me a quote of £215 to clean and dye it another colour which seems steep. Does anyone have any other suggestions please?

Here are some photos of the staining.

Attachments

• IMG_9174.JPG
    IMG_9174.JPG
    212.8 KB · Views: 529
  • IMG_9175.JPG
    IMG_9175.JPG
    215.4 KB · Views: 531
  • IMG_9176.JPG
    IMG_9176.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 532
  • IMG_9177.JPG
    IMG_9177.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 542
  • IMG_9178.JPG
    IMG_9178.JPG
    216 KB · Views: 534
It depends whether you want to keep it or not, does it have sentimental value etc.
I'd re-dye that. I don't know if you'll be able to sell it for a good price. Best of luck!

I would look to see how many damaged ones sell on eBay for. Then depending on the value, I would try and give the bag a clean? Maybe look into how to dye the bag yourself? If the bag no long has any monetary value, I would clean it up as best you can and then use it without worrying.
Personally, I have washed a black NVT Bays, an Oak NVT Bays and a creamy pink Alexa. They all cleaned up well considering there earlier state.

I've cleaned and re-dyed bags myself in the past, the dye only costs £10-15 and you can do up to three bags with it. I've rescued a Marc Jacobs Aiden bag through re-dying which I can now use again and she looks like brand new. Best dye I found was called Tarrago, lots of colours to choose from and they also do leather cleaning stuff and treatments which might be worth a try?

Personally if it was my bag, I'd wet wipe the sections which have worst marks to see if it comes off and then once the surface marks are off or lessened I would feed and clean the bag with Collonil 1909 cream.

Hope this is of some help and sorry to hear about your bag x