What's the best shipping to send out your package to protect yourself?

pinkiwi

Sep 12, 2009
Hi Everyone,

So I just realized that that's so much potential horror on ebay and I don't want to take my chances. What's the best shipping to send out for your item? What kind of insurance should you choose - or is there only one kind. Is the insurance price a percentage of your item's worth?

It's confusing bc they have so many options. I remember a few months back sending a parcel to my cousin and when I asked the post office worker, she didn't really know much herself and had a nasty attitude. Thanks!

Signature confirmation is required for items costing a total of $250 or more including shipping & handling, if paid for with paypal.

Insurance protects the seller in case of loss or damage of an item.

Personally I prefer USPS shipping, priority or express, with insurance.

Doesn't the insurance protect the buyer? I thought that's why some sellers say they ship priority with delivery confirmation, but recommend that the seller gets insurance.

First, I always use USPS
1) Almost my entire family works there (except one UPS traitor)
2) For speed they are cheaper than the other couriers

Downside- the tracking often sucks

I ALWAYS get insurance. If a buyer doesn't pay for it and it gets lost YOU are responsible, not them regardless what your listing says. If the seller can't prove it was delivered the buyer gets their money back automatically.
Be careful with boxes. Now for Priority (not Express or Parcel Post) you get charged a surchage for anything with a larger cubic footage than 12x12x12 and that surcharge can equal the actual postage at times!

This time of year, I always get insurance for my protection. Lots of temps working the postal service.

I just had a small item going to Canada. it would have fit in the small flat rate box, but USPS does not offer insurance on small flat rate boxes. So I had to go with a regular small PM box (or my own box).

This time of year, I always get insurance for my protection. Lots of temps working the postal service.

I just had a small item going to Canada. it would have fit in the small flat rate box, but USPS does not offer insurance on small flat rate boxes. So I had to go with a regular small PM box (or my own box).

This is SO TRUE. No insurance on flat-rate international boxes.
Also, if you send an international package with Priority pay attention to the coverage for non-insured packages. Going to Canada for a 1lb box it is $67. So if your item is less than that no need to pay for the insurance separately as it will automatically be covered.

NEVER send international packages via FedEx or UPS. It costs buyers ridiculous amounts in brokerage fees!

Unless I am shipping Internationally, I always use FedEx. Super reliable, full insured, with signature required....no ifs ands or buts.

Always have had good luck shipping VERY expensive items with them.

Not to mention, I think FedEx ground is better AND cheaper than USPS.

Actually, fedex offers an indirect signature option. PP requires a direct one, if I remember from the post a few weeks ago. So you have to make sure you get a direct signature.

Actually, fedex offers an indirect signature option. PP requires a direct one, if I remember from the post a few weeks ago. So you have to make sure you get a direct signature.

This is so true for UPS. I learned that the hard way after I mailed an expensive bag and they just left it on a porch. I called them and stated I had NOT checked the no signature required box and UPS informed me that a required signature is extra. For UPS it is $4-5 not sure what the cost is for FedEx.

But for UPS and FedEx never assume they will get the signature unless you pay for it.

Thanks for posting everyone!!

For insurance, is there only one kind? Like you just say you want insurance and they won't ask you what type?

coachfreak: what do you mean be careful with the boxes?

kristie: what do you use when you ship internationally?

Im still confused - if someone who wins my item is actually a scammer and they file with paypal, paypal only needs to see the delivery confirmation/tracking number to know the item was delivered in order to side with me right? So if that's the case, why would I have to get signature confirmation and insurance?

I always use USPS Express Mail International to send the parcel from US to Australia. It said that the parcel will need to arrive in 5-7days. But because of the custom,i usually receive it in 2 weeks from the parcel sent and no more than that. This is the fastest way I can get my parcel and safest I think because less time involved.