What's the Alternative to Barenia Leather?

djmm

Jun 17, 2010
I've asked my usual SA and he's also not very sure whether we can still get Birkin in full Barenia leather - something about the lack of availability of leather and also people don't like it because it scratches easily or something like that.

Anyway, I am just trying to come up with plan B here - Let's say if I can't get a Birkin in Natural Barenia anymore, what is the second closest leather to Natural Barenia (that you know for sure is still available for Birkin)?

I love the colour tone of Natural Barenia (especially old, worn out Barenia) and can't really find anything identical to it... Anyone can help me? Or can anyone confirm whether we can still get Barenia through podium or something? Thanks in advance guys.

DJMM I have a bag in Noissette VL and it is very very very close to Barenia. I think any leather in Noissette would be a close color match. Also Fauve I have heard but have never seen IRL. I hope this helps!!:flowers:

Do you like Tadelakt in Fauve?

attachment-2.jpg

You're right - Noisette looks close to it. I was thinking about Noisette too but not quite sure because as in other colour, Noisette looks slightly different between leathers... By the way, I thought we can't get Vache Liege anymore too?

I am not very familiar with Tadelakt's characteristics... I'll look around a bit. I wonder if it has the same aging characteristics as Box. Anyone owns a Birkin in tadelakt?
But in the mean time any other alternatives would be appreciated, thanks. By the way, is Barenia really not available through PO anymore?

I heard from my SA that barenia was not available because the cattle had to have perfect hides and cattle just don't. So, barenia is used for small items like wallets where the craftsmen can cut around the flawed parts of the hide. Other clients in past years have been demanding barenia, and it's not been a happening thing at podium.

I am not sure I totally accept this explanation. Barenia bags seem to have been made in 2009 or so, not that long ago, from what I can tell from reseller sites. There may have been a corporate decision to emphasize other leathers.

I also got told that noisette was a very old color. The implication was that it's not made anymore. Hmmmm. So, djmm, it's a very good question to ask what could substitute for barenia. I wish I had thought of it.

Reactions: wilmi
IMHO, nothing is similar to Barenia. It is a very specific look and texture, beyond the color. I have recently been told that there is more Barenia available. So who knows, perhaps a bag can be ordered now.

I heard from my SA that barenia was not available because the cattle had to have perfect hides and cattle just don't. So, barenia is used for small items like wallets where the craftsmen can cut around the flawed parts of the hide. Other clients in past years have been demanding barenia, and it's not been a happening thing at podium.

I am not sure I totally accept this explanation. Barenia bags seem to have been made in 2009 or so, not that long ago, from what I can tell from reseller sites. There may have been a corporate decision to emphasize other leathers.

I also got told that noisette was a very old color. The implication was that it's not made anymore. Hmmmm. So, djmm, it's a very good question to ask what could substitute for barenia. I wish I had thought of it.

What I don't get is why they managed to get 'perfect' leather before but not attainable now. Cattles are getting rough to each other? :lol:

Different environmental issues, different feed, all of those things can affect hides.

I agree that though you may find a close colour match, there is nothing comparable to the skin itself.

Different environmental issues, different feed, all of those things can affect hides.

I agree that though you may find a close colour match, there is nothing comparable to the skin itself.

That's very sad to hear. I wish Hermes would invest in a farm and monitor their own catlle leather production.

I look at a kelly and think that it's made of a lot of smaller pieces--not real small but surely with a good tick dip and stuff to ward off flies, chunks of the hides would be ok. I don't see other quality makers' bags with marks on the leather.

Does texturizing leather, making it into togo or clemence (for example), compensate in some way for whatever marks exist on the hide? I was told togo was easier to get.

I think it has more to do with contemporary cattle farming and the companies Hermes uses to finish the skins than anything else, frankly.

just bumping this thread...

i have been told by "other" fashion houses that they source the "same" barenia leather from the same suppliers as Hermes do. and they have no problem supplying barenia bags. to my untrained unprofessional eyes, they touch, smell and behave eerily similar to barenia.

and we all know that Hermes still produce barenia, just mostly for SLGs. but for large surface area, I know the barenia apron was one of the key items for "promotion" this year, although it will be hard to say how many they actually sell.

does anyone know if Hermes barenia production issue is specifically for bags (large size) or ??? is Hermes quality control stricter than other brands or ??

Barenia is produced by the Haas Tannery and is available wholesale, but my theory is that Hermes requires only the top quality and in that sense it is limited.