What's the age gap between you and your SO?

My boyfriend is 18 years older than me (I'm 24, he's 42). I'm mature for my age, but it is hard sometimes. Things are fine when we're alone, but it's hard to integrate him into my life with my friends - I like trendy restaurants, he likes quiet ones, etc. I find it a lot easier for me to hang out with his older friends than the other way around.

Having said that, I wouldn't change it for the world. His extra years on the planet have given him intelligence and experiences that would take me years of hard lessons to learn on my own.

Ryan

My DH is 11 years and 2 months older than me. Sometimes it was kind of weird (like for instance his oldest kid is 18 now) and he is only 11 years younger than my parents. BUT it all works...he is like a big child (aren't most men??!!??)...he can relate to me (we listen to same music genres and watch same TV shows)..but also to my parents (they start talking about old 70s TV shows that I am clueless about).

eastern_jewel said:
My friend is currently having a mini crisis :hysteric: as she is being wooed by two guys. Guy #1 is 9 years older than her so it makes him 34 years old, while guy #2 is her age which makes him 25 years old.

These two guys are at different point in there lives and she was wondering if age really matter.

So it got me and her thinking about certain age issues... would 34 be too old for her??? or would 25 be too young for her???

The qualities she like about "older guy" is that he's more settled, he has his life on track and knows what he wants. However, she like the fact that "younger guy" is more of a free spirit and fun but hates the fact that at his age, there's no deifinite career and a risk that he might flake.

Anyways, it bring up the whole issue: is a girl more mature than a guy that the same age???

Ok... I told her about my experience that I have only dated guys who are 2 years older or more older than me. Currently, my SO is 8 years older than me and I find that even though initially I felt he was a tad bit more mature that me (we started dating when I was 22 years old) that it has worked out for the better.

Anyways... what do all our wonderful TPF members think about the situation??? And if you like and don't mind sharing what's the age gap between you and your SO/DH? :flowers: TIA

Age does not matter as much as stage of life.

I have a similar dilemma: date a guy 2 years younger, 4 years older or ~7 years older? The real question is: date a grad student or date someone who has a job?

Her choice should ultimately depend on what is important to her right now. If she is looking to "settle down," then the older guy may be a good choice, but if she is looking to just have fun, then go for the younger guy.

I'm personally torn between having fun or being more serious. That's why dating business school guys works out well enough. :nuts:

Kat said:
There are 22 years between my husband and I. We will be married 13 years in August, and we're having a blast!

I love hearing that Kat! I've recently considered dating someone 23 years older than myself and it's a real dillemma. Of course there is a clear downside to the whole thing -- if we ended up together for the long term, he would hit old age way before me. But it's great to hear of someone having a positive experience with an "inter-generational" relationship:smile: