What's so special with Guess bags?

ElenaAlex

Jul 16, 2020
Hello everyone.
I'm currently in Bucharest, I'm staying in 5* hotel and I made a tour around the luxury boutiques. Because of all that I see many obviously wealthy women wearing Guess bags - both in boutiques and hotels. Can you explain me what is so special about those bags? For me they look cheap and made out of cheap plastic, even cheaper with the big Guess logo. And the prices, at least in my country, are damn high - there are much better options at the same price point.

I've never had a Guess bag because they look cheap but I have quite a few inexpensive bags, cheaper and better looking than Guess bags.

Thanks

papertiger

MOD
Authenticator
O.G.
May 23, 2009
G-orgeous H-eaven
I've never bought anything Guess either. They used to make jeans, and had a very sexy marketing campaign about 30-40 years ago starring some very beautiful models.

I guess (sorry) it's about the legacy of that advertisement campaign.

Can't think of another reason, although perhaps, even though they're expensive, they're not quite as expensive as premium designers and they have a quite obvious logo.

Someone else who actually owns one can chip-in.

ElenaAlex

Jul 16, 2020
Thank you for your answer. I find their clothes ok, as far as there is no logo printed on (I don't like such prints in any brand) but I just don't understand why their bags are so popular when there is better value for the money on the market. I definitely don't suggest that every wealthy person should buy only designer bags. Maybe it is advertising or maybe they are good quality bags.

Reactions: papertiger

Amazona

Crazy bird lady
Mar 31, 2013
Finland
Guess is a starter brand for teenagers and women in early 20s when it comes to bags. They tried the whole Guess Couture with real leather bags thing a few yrs ago but the bags were too espensive/boring for teens and Guess is too much of a teenager brand that grown women didn't really go for it either. Guess still does some leather bags if I remember correctly, but all you really see is the fake leather bags and SLG.
They used to be worth the price when you could get a wallet for 40€ and a bag for less than 100€. The prices nowadays are a bit bonkers, even though the fake leather they do is very good quality.

I started with Guess 16 yrs ago and things kinda escalated from there on. I still have my 1st Guess bag, a gold&white hobo and it's still in great shape. I still carry it a few times a year.

Last edited:
Reactions: ElenaAlex

ElenaAlex

Jul 16, 2020
Thank you. Probably that is the answer, although all women were well over 30, some over 40. I will not be surprised to see such bags worn by a woman in her 20s but for women over 30 and even over 40, I was definitely very surprised. And so many of them...

ElenaAlex

Jul 16, 2020
I went today in Guess store just to have a look and I was actually quite surprised - they have some good bags, well made and looking quite modern and elegant. Not like the bags I saw few days ago. I would definitely buy one if they were made of leather.

Apr 30, 2017
I bought a Guess bag a couple of years ago (along with a couple of basic wallets) when I was still getting into designer stuff and at the time was in my early 20s. I didn't wear it much and eventually tossed it, I think, but I still have the wallets even though I no longer use them. Will sell them on Poshmark eventually. I found I preferred real leather for my bags, but still visit the Guess website occasionally just to check their stuff out. Think I bought a little backpack maybe a year ago, but it was impulse and I've never even worn it. I know most of their designs are blatant rip offs of other, more high end designs, but they do sometimes have some simple, okay looking stuff. Majority of it though is a little too... cheaply gaudy?... for me.

Edit: I will say, I do not vehemently hate Guess like I have seen some others on this site. Not everybody can afford a bag that costs almost half a year's worth of rent (and should not be shamed or called tacky because they choose to buy from brands like Guess), so I think Guess is a good brand to break into if one is interested in exploring "designer" bags.

Last edited:
Reactions: ElenaAlex