What’s on your for-sure, longterm jewelry wishlist?

sosauce

Jan 27, 2021
Curious to know what everyone’s concrete holy grail dream items are. And how you decided that these would be your longterm shopping goals.

This week, I was literally just on the cusp of buying the Bulgari Bulgari bracelet with lapis, malachite, mop, and carnelian motifs. It’s so gorgeous. But then I remembered that I already bought the Tiffany medium T smile diamond pendant the other day (which is $5,000+) and I need to save up for my big summer purchase this year! Also, since it’s March, my friend and I started talking about buying matching aquamarine rings from Tiffany this month, which is going to be a very significant amount of money if I cave in for a five-figure friendship ring... :doh:

Anyways, it made me realize that it might be better for me to write down the things that I definitely want to get one day. This made me curious to know how people on this forum save up for their dream pieces, especially if you have a lot of things on your “concrete” shopping list. There are smaller things that always distract me, and my thinking is that I can get those small things first and save up for my other stuff later, since I was always planning to buy those in the future anyway.

For me, these are the items that I am 99% planning to buy in the future, just in a distant day from now. It’s not really the price that deters me for some of them, it’s just that there are other things that also interest me, which get in the way of me finishing my ultimate jewelry collection. And I figure that I’ll get the dream piece eventually some day, so it’s no biggie about timing
  • Tiffany Victoria alternating bracelet (which I’ll be getting this summer in 2021 if everything stays on course)
  • VCA lotus ring
  • VCA perlee clover bangle
  • Bulgari serpenti viper bracelet
  • Cartier double love pave ring
These are the items I’m more iffy about:
  • Tiffany Schlumberger bird on a rock brooch in morganite or yellow topaz (It’d be in the six-figure range, so who knows. Is that how you decide if something is a HG?)
  • VCA folie des pres bracelet in pink sapphire (Again, very expensive, since it’s in the six-figure range. Would you consider this a HG?)
  • Cartier pave and ceramic love bracelet (I like the contrast, but the design just isn’t always my favorite. I fall in and out of love with it. This is possible. I don’t know if it’s considered a HG for me though.)
  • Tiffany Schlumberger 16 stone ring (Classic, but another piece I fall in and out of love with.)
  • Cartier diamond JUC (It’s simple and easy to wear. It feels likely that I’ll buy it, since the price point isn’t too unrealistic. But I feel like there are other things I’d like to buy first, so maybe I’ll never get around to buying this. I don’t know if this counts as a HG or not.)
Honestly, I just feel like I need help deciding how to put things into my wishlist, so maybe seeing other people’s lists will help me better learn how to organize my spending. After all, I could technically buy the VCA folie des pres bracelet, if I abandoned everything on my lists and didn’t shop for several years. Is that how most people on TPF shop? I just feel like the things on my dream/unicorn/HG list are totally unobtainable unless I make very drastic changes to my lifestyle. And, honestly, I’m not sure if it’d even make me that much marginally happier to have a FDP bracelet over a lotus ring.

Maybe this all comes down to me not even understanding how something becomes a “holy grail.” Is it based around price? Does HG mean it’s definitive that you’ll buy it? Or does it mean that you’re not certain you’re going to buy it? Or does it mean that the reason you haven’t bought it is because of scarcity as opposed to finances? I just feel confused about how people even know what counts as a holy grail. :facepalm: It’s a term I really didn’t give much thought until I joined this forum, so I feel like my understanding of HGs is limited.

Last edited:
I'm always torn between my love for jewelry and the fact that I can't really wear it much because I live in a city that is incredibly unsafe.
My jewelry wishlist is therefore really modest and wearable, so I think I'll get these items in 5 years or so:
A tennis bracelet (maybe 3 or 4 carats)
Diamond hoops that look spectacular
A Cartier Trinity Ring
Maybe a great watch (My fav is Omega Constellation), but I'm on the fence about getting one.

I'm always torn between my love for jewelry and the fact that I can't really wear it much because I live in a city that is incredibly unsafe.
My jewelry wishlist is therefore really modest and wearable, so I think I'll get these items in 5 years or so:
A tennis bracelet (maybe 3 or 4 carats)
Diamond hoops that look spectacular
A Cartier Trinity Ring
Maybe a great watch (My fav is Omega Constellation), but I'm on the fence about getting one.

Ooh! Those are some very nice, classic choices. You really can’t go wrong with any of those :heart:

Reactions: looksjustright
I must be totally off base about what “holy grail” means. I thought it meant hard to find or super expensive pieces. My hard to find item is a good Tahitian, 10 mm+, multi color pearl bracelet in 18k white gold with some type of rondell or decoratve end caps on the pearls to separate them and give them some pizazz.
Btw,I love your list @sosauce. You already have gorgeous pieces but your wish list items will take your collection into a whole new category.

I must be totally off base about what “holy grail” means. I thought it meant hard to find or super expensive pieces. My hard to find item is a good Tahitian, 10 mm+, multi color pearl bracelet in 18k white gold with some type of rondell or decoratve end caps on the pearls to separate them and give them some pizazz.
Btw,I love your list @sosauce. You already have gorgeous pieces but your wish list items will take your collection into a whole new category.
Yeah, I don’t have any holy grail pieces because you just can’t wear them where I live. I shared my long term wish list which may seem super modest to some, but those are the fanciest pieces I would wear without fearing for my life. :,D

Curious to know what everyone’s concrete holy grail dream items are. And how you decided that these would be your longterm shopping goals.

This week, I was literally just on the cusp of buying the Bulgari Bulgari bracelet with lapis, malachite, mop, and carnelian motifs. It’s so gorgeous. But then I remembered that I already bought the Tiffany medium T smile diamond pendant the other day (which is $5,000+) and I need to save up for my big summer purchase this year! Also, since it’s March, my friend and I started talking about buying matching aquamarine rings from Tiffany this month, which is going to be a very significant amount of money if I cave in for a five-figure friendship ring... :doh:

Anyways, it made me realize that it might be better for me to write down the things that I definitely want to get one day. This made me curious to know how people on this forum save up for their dream pieces, especially if you have a lot of things on your “concrete” shopping list. There are smaller things that always distract me, and my thinking is that I can get those small things first and save up for my other stuff later, since I was always planning to buy those in the future anyway.

For me, these are the items that I am 99% planning to buy in the future, just in a distant day from now. It’s not really the price that deters me for some of them, it’s just that there are other things that also interest me, which get in the way of me finishing my ultimate jewelry collection. And I figure that I’ll get the dream piece eventually some day, so it’s no biggie about timing
  • Tiffany Victoria alternating bracelet (which I’ll be getting this summer in 2021 if everything stays on course)
  • VCA lotus ring
  • Tiffany Schlumberger bird on a rock brooch in morganite or yellow topaz (It’d be in the six-figure range, so who knows. Is that how you decide if something is a HG?)
  • VCA folie des pres bracelet in pink sapphire (Again, very expensive, since it’s in the six-figure range. Would you consider this a HG?)
  • Cartier pave and ceramic love bracelet (I like the contrast, but the design just isn’t always my favorite. I fall in and out of love with it. This is possible. I don’t know if it’s considered a HG for me though.)
  • Tiffany Schlumberger 16 stone ring (Classic, but another piece I fall in and out of love with.)
  • Cartier diamond JUC (It’s simple and easy to wear. It feels likely that I’ll buy it, since the price point isn’t too unrealistic. But I feel like there are other things I’d like to buy first, so maybe I’ll never get around to buying this. I don’t know if this counts as a HG or not.)
Honestly, I just feel like I need help deciding how to put things into my wishlist, so maybe seeing other people’s lists will help me better learn how to organize my spending. After all, I could technically buy the VCA folie des pres bracelet, if I abandoned everything on my lists and didn’t shop for several years. Is that how most people on TPF shop? I just feel like the things on my dream/unicorn/HG list are totally unobtainable unless I make very drastic changes to my lifestyle. And, honestly, I’m not sure if it’d even make me that much marginally happier to have a FDP bracelet over a lotus ring.

Maybe this all comes down to me not even understanding how something becomes a “holy grail.” Is it based around price? Does HG mean it’s definitive that you’ll buy it? Or does it mean that you’re not certain you’re going to buy it? Or does it mean that the reason you haven’t bought it is because of scarcity as opposed to finances? I just feel confused about how people even know what counts as a holy grail. :facepalm: It’s a term I really didn’t give much thought until I joined this forum, so I feel like my understanding of HGs is limited.
I love your post above @sosauce!
I don’t really have holy grail bags or jewelry, but there are items that I know I will get eventually:
1. Verdura cuff
I’m about a month away from receipt. I’ve wanted one all my adult life since my mom gave me a chanel bag and a chanel mini bag on the belt in 1988 or so. I think I was in college. . . I saw a pic of coco Chanel in a white chanel jacket and the cuffs and it was all over. Other kids may have had the Calvin Klein underwear model on their boards, but I had a pic of chanel. I stopped for a while when I realized she probably was a collaborator and started again when I read the Weirthheimer family forgave her. . . All this is probably too much information for you, apologies.
Anyway, it was a dream I never thought would happen. . .

2. Van cleef buton d’or white gold yellow gold Diamond earrings (no red or blue)
I’m still thinking about these. I’m not enitirely sure bc my earring tolerance is wonky and I cannot wear much weight. Plus, I’m not entirely sure I’m a VCA person. I love my six motif, but I think of myself more in the Verdura Suzanne Belperron wheelhouse.

3. A yellow gold watch. I always thought of myself as a Cartier and not a Rolex person. I am an old model pasha person, but I dislike the bling of the new pashas, and I don’t want diamonds. I saw a Breguet princess reine watch and fell in love except it’s too hard to read the time on the face. . But, is it really necessary to be able to tell the time on your watch. I mean, uou always have a phone. :biggrin: (this picture does not do it justice, the chain links that comprise the bracelet are heavy and gorgeous and drape beautifully. sadly, it does not have a hidden clasp.

Here is my wishlist (I don’t own them yet) #2 and #3. I will update with my cuff when it comes in
8DB1AB1F-9459-4086-B8FE-97668C002D90.jpeg83D47624-DFA9-40E2-8E44-065CE4824114.jpeg

Edit: just realized this is more my list to purchase rather than unicorn or HG? Something here should be by Suzanne Belperron. (I do have the Belperron corne earrings and they are perfect for me)
I think the HG that I will never own is the Belperron Cambodian cuff in chalcedony. At Verdura, I could not try it on bc it was tiny and also priced like a museum piece.

The Verdura cuff I’m getting is gold. My HG (that I will never get) is a black jade Maltese cross, mainly bc SA explained it’s delicate and should be put on and taken off over a soft surface like a bed. she said it’s easily breakable and can crack if you are not careful. DH started laughing hustericallu (bc I’m a klutz and break lots of things) and said pls (expletive) not for you :biggrin:

Last edited:

• VCA lotus ring

I enjoyed reading your insightful post and the items on your wish list are beautiful and will make wonderful additions to your collection!

I have actually just bought and am waiting for my holy grail item which is a pair of beautifully cut diamond studs. I have diamond studs already but although they are a good size I am not satisfied with the quality. I was offered a good deal at the time I bought them by my jeweller but regretted not going down the custom route to get the specifications I would be happy with. My new studs are a similar size (1.62 ttcw as opposed to my current 1.60 ttcw) but ideal cut, VS2 clarity, D colour, GIA triple excellent and with HCA scores of 1.2 and 0.8. I bought them from Blue Nile with the knowledge that I can upgrade in the future should I want a bigger size (eventually 2-2.50 ttcw which is as big as I would want to go living where I do and with the lifestyle I have). I am incredibly excited to get them but feel sick at how much I have spent, my most expensive jewellery item to date! However, they are classic and I feel good knowing that they are top quality stones that I can pass down to my daughter.

My other holy grail item is the Cartier Love slim bracelet with six diamonds in yellow gold, but after buying the studs I can’t see myself buying the bracelet until at least next year at the earliest. I will also buy it when I am able to get a discount at the airport.

I’m not really sure what HGs are, either. I found out the perlee clover is a lot of people’s “holy grail” but the bangle is pretty easy to find. It’s more of a purchase that’s difficult to swallow.

I’m starting to think holy grail might mean “piece you’re saving up to.” And unicorn means “piece you’d buy immediately if you could find it.”

But again this is all speculative, since I hadn’t given much thought to how I prioritize my shopping until I joined this forum.

I love your post above @sosauce!
I don’t really have holy grail bags or jewelry, but there are items that I know I will get eventually:
1. Verdura cuff
I’m about a month away from receipt. I’ve wanted one all my adult life since my mom gave me a chanel bag and a chanel mini bag on the belt in 1988 or so. I think I was in college. . . I saw a pic of coco Chanel in a white chanel jacket and the cuffs and it was all over. Other kids may have had the Calvin Klein underwear model on their boards, but I had a pic of chanel. I stopped for a while when I realized she probably was a collaborator and started again when I read the Weirthheimer family forgave her. . . All this is probably too much information for you, apologies.
Anyway, it was a dream I never thought would happen. . .

2. Van cleef buton d’or white gold yellow gold Diamond earrings (no red or blue)
I’m still thinking about these. I’m not enitirely sure bc my earring tolerance is wonky and I cannot wear much weight. Plus, I’m not entirely sure I’m a VCA person. I love my six motif, but I think of myself more in the Verdura Suzanne Belperron wheelhouse.

3. A yellow gold watch. I always thought of myself as a Cartier and not a Rolex person. And a pasha person, but I dislike the new pasha models. . . And I don’t want diamonds. and I saw a Breguet princess reine watch and fell in love except it’s too hard to read the time on the face. . But, is it really necessary to be able to tell the time on your watch. I mean, uou always have a watch on. :biggrin:

Here is my wishlist (I don’t own them yet) #2 and #3. I will update with my cuff when it comes in
View attachment 5020453View attachment 5020452

Wow! I love your list. Such unique pieces.

I love those drop earrings!

I enjoyed reading your insightful post and the items on your wish list are beautiful and will make wonderful additions to your collection!

I have actually just bought and am waiting for my holy grail item which is a pair of beautifully cut diamond studs. I have diamond studs already but although they are a good size I am not satisfied with the quality. I was offered a good deal at the time I bought them by my jeweller but regretted not going down the custom route to get the specifications I would be happy with. My new studs are a similar size (1.62 ttcw as opposed to my current 1.60 ttcw) but ideal cut, VS2 clarity, D colour, GIA triple excellent and with HCA scores of 1.2 and 0.8. I bought them from Blue Nile with the knowledge that I can upgrade in the future should I want a bigger size (eventually 2-2.50 ttcw which is as big as I would want to go living where I do and with the lifestyle I have). I am incredibly excited to get them but feel sick at how much I have spent, my most expensive jewellery item to date! However, they are classic and I feel good knowing that they are top quality stones that I can pass down to my daughter.

My other holy grail item is the Cartier Love slim bracelet with six diamonds in yellow gold, but after buying the studs I can’t see myself buying the bracelet until at least next year at the earliest. I will also buy it when I am able to get a discount at the airport.

Wow, those are some very nice studs! Are you considering remounting your old pair into a pendant or something?

• Love
Reactions: Onebagtoomany
Wow, those are some very nice studs! Are you considering remounting your old pair into a pendant or something?

Thank you! I learnt a lot about diamonds from this forum and Pricescope and was determined to get it right this time. I think I’m going to sell the old studs as I should be able to get a decent amount for them to put towards what I spent on the new ones.

I've been slowly checking off my for sure jewelery items but have few more on my list.
1. Sapphire ring--actively looking...would love a 6ct+with diamond trapazoid sidestones set in platinum. Looking for a vivid sapphire blue, heirloom quality. Something like
1615588237161.png
2. Emerald ring--not quite sure on style yet but something Wow!!
3. Cartier diamond Tank Americaine...having hard time pulling the trigger since I have Rolex and other Cartier watches but this has always been on my list
1615588566467.png
4. Tiffany Shlumberger pieces--ring and enamel bracelet...on the fence...they have been in and out over the years
1615589028660.png

1615588924908.png