What's everyone's birthstone?

Prada Psycho said:
I love this thread! It's right up my alley!! :nuts:

DlkinVegas: you too suffer from "the original stone cost too much so let's come up with something cheaper" syndrome in birthstones. The real November is Imperial Topaz, not citrine. Citrines were chosen because they vaguely resemble Imperial Topaz (also extremely rare). Imperial topaz is the most BEAUTIFUL colored stone and very hard to describe. It's sort of a peachy-golden-peachy color. Just beautiful!!! If you ever get the chance to see one in person, grab it!! You'll never go back to citrine.

Actually, while were on it, the real birthstone for December is blue zircon (as well as turquoise). It's not "cubic zirconia", but zircon. It's a natural gemstone. Those are beautiful too! Just like a blue diamond. In fact, they have higher "sparkle value" than diamonds.

Ya'll can tell me to shut up any time. I could go on for a month about gemstones! :blush:

When I read that I said,"YES", Finally someone who appreciates the beauty of Imperial Topaz! If it's not obvious, that's my birthstone :love: :tender:

Cat said:
Born July 4th,another Ruby baby. Don't dispair Ruby gals,our stone is not only beautiful but the leader of precious stones :yahoo: .Some interesting facts below regarding the beloved Ruby.

Ruby marks the month of July as it's birthstone. It means 'contentment'. The name ruby comes from the Latin "rubrum" meaning red. When flawless, a Ruby is more valuable than a diamond. It has been the world's most valued gemstone for thousands of years. In the ancient language of Sanskrit, ruby is called ratnaraj, or "king of precious stones" and ratnanayaka, "leader of precious stones."

Historically, the Ruby is associated with royalty & the power or life and death. It was attributed the power to prevent loss of blood, strengthen the heart, and negate poisons. Rubies are today still more valuable and rare than even the top quality colorless diamonds. A 16 carat ruby sold at auction for US$227,301 per carat at Sotheby's in 1988. A 27.37 carat Burmese ruby ring sold for US$4 million at Sotheby's in Geneva in May 1995, or $146,145 per carat. A 32 carat ruby sold for US$144,000 per carat at Sotheby's in 1989.

In contrast, eight D-color internally flawless diamonds over 50 carats were sold in the past 9 years and the largest, a pear-shape of 102 carats, fetched a mere US$125,000 per carat. Top rubies are so rare even the world's top gem dealers must incessantly comb estate sales and auctions to find them. Sizes above five carats are particularly rare.
oh i feel so special now!