What's everyone's birthstone?

MandM said:
Thanks Prada Psycho! I actually have an alexandrite ring and should have remembered all that -- It was crazy b/c a friend once complimented me on my pretty "green" ring when we were outside. I looked down and, sure enough, my typically purple ring was green. It was really cool and I can't believe I forgot about that aspect
OOOooooo, you lucky dawg!!! I'm jealous! :greengrin:

It's a running joke with everyone that knows me that I own at least one of every gemstone under the sun. While that's not far from true, I don't have any natural alexandrite! :crybaby:

PS-Thanks for straightening me out on what color the stone turns under which light source. I knew I wasn't right about that. Maybe because I don't have one. :cry:

Prada Psycho said:
Resident wannabe gemologist here. :smile:

Historically, alexandrite was the birthstone for June (you lucky dog!), however as they became more rare (and expensive), the powers that be picked pearl for June, presumably because they are more available to the masses. You have an option that you may not have considered and I personally LOVE: Tahitian pearls. They are so much more durable than akoya pearls and come in lots of beautiful tones besides the usual black/teal you may have seen.

:tender:

Prada Psycho, thank you! I didn't realize Alexanderite was so precious!

IntlSet said:
Prada Psycho, thank you! I didn't realize Alexanderite was so precious!
You're quite welcome!

I'll have to check on this, but at one time I believe alexandrite was more valuable per carat than DIAMONDS, because they are so rare.

Overlooking that, they are still the coolest gemstones! :supacool:

DlkinVegas said:
November-Citrine. I love jewelry I get out of control with my spending when it comes to jewelry.
I love this thread! It's right up my alley!! :nuts:

DlkinVegas: you too suffer from "the original stone cost too much so let's come up with something cheaper" syndrome in birthstones. The real November is Imperial Topaz, not citrine. Citrines were chosen because they vaguely resemble Imperial Topaz (also extremely rare). Imperial topaz is the most BEAUTIFUL colored stone and very hard to describe. It's sort of a peachy-golden-peachy color. Just beautiful!!! If you ever get the chance to see one in person, grab it!! You'll never go back to citrine.

Actually, while were on it, the real birthstone for December is blue zircon (as well as turquoise). It's not "cubic zirconia", but zircon. It's a natural gemstone. Those are beautiful too! Just like a blue diamond. In fact, they have higher "sparkle value" than diamonds.

Ya'll can tell me to shut up any time. I could go on for a month about gemstones! :blush: