What's considered a good starter piece?

bagloverss

O.G.
Feb 18, 2007
I definitely want a necklace. My wardrobe is lots of black, I have dark skin (if that helps) and am quite petite. Trying not to completely break the bank. I love love love the Alhambra. What is a good piece for a newbie? Thank you so much for your opinions and suggestions!

Reactions: thebookishbaker
I don't necessarily believe in starter pieces, I think anything you fall in love with and will wear and enjoy is a great piece to have that hopefully will stay with you from START to FINISH!!!
Thank you! Yes I am hoping to fall in love with a piece that I will wear all the time! Sadly we don't have a VCA store here- so I can't try them on.

Thank you! Yes I am hoping to fall in love with a piece that I will wear all the time! Sadly we don't have a VCA store here- so I can't try them on.

I can see how that is more difficult. To be honest, the stones are all so unique and have their own character. You said your wardrobe consists of black and have darker skin, I think MOP would be beautiful to contrast and it really does go with everything (think of modern pearls). if your wiling to take a risk with some colors, I really do love malachite and against black is also elegant and timeless.

I can see how that is more difficult. To be honest, the stones are all so unique and have their own character. You said your wardrobe consists of black and have darker skin, I think MOP would be beautiful to contrast and it really does go with everything (think of modern pearls). if your wiling to take a risk with some colors, I really do love malachite and against black is also elegant and timeless.

Thanks for understanding my dilemma! What do you think of the onyx for me? Will it be too dark against my black? No enough gold to make it stand out?

Thanks for understanding my dilemma! What do you think of the onyx for me? Will it be too dark against my black? No enough gold to make it stand out?

I love yg/onyx, but it might be too black against your black wardrobe, if you know what I mean. I think it looks best against skin or against another color, so it can pop. As jssl1688 says, malachite might be a good choice. Or maybe carnelian? Or you could look at the all yg or rg pendants (not offered in Magic size, unfortunately).

Reactions: nicole0612
I love yg/onyx, but it might be too black against your black wardrobe, if you know what I mean. I think it looks best against skin or against another color, so it can pop. As jssl1688 says, malachite might be a good choice. Or maybe carnelian? Or you could look at the all yg or rg pendants (not offered in Magic size, unfortunately).
Thank you so much. I am going to have to look up malachite now!

I definitely want a necklace. My wardrobe is lots of black, I have dark skin (if that helps) and am quite petite. Trying not to completely break the bank. I love love love the Alhambra. What is a good piece for a newbie? Thank you so much for your opinions and suggestions!

Bagloverss, you didn't say if you prefer YG or WG or have more pieces in either.

If you have dark skin, then I think MOP or Chalcedony will be a lovely pop on you and will set off nicely against your black clothing.

MOP comes in both golds, however Chalcedony comes only in WG.

My first piece was a 10 MOP YG but in hindsight, I should have gone with a 20.

With that said, I can still add another 10 but with Chalcedony, it might be a bit more difficult to match 2 X 10s, so that's definitely a bigger purchase as a 20.

Hi! I definitely want YG. I know this is awful but I don't know what Chalcedony is. Going to have to look into this some more. No matter which piece I get, I do want just one motif. Do you think the Sweetie would be a good option for me in opal? Maybe it would be nice and petitie.
Bagloverss, you didn't say if you prefer YG or WG or have more pieces in either.

If you have dark skin, then I think MOP or Chalcedony will be a lovely pop on you and will set off nicely against your black clothing.

With that said, I can still add another 10 but with Chalcedony, it might be a bit more difficult to match 2 X 10s, so that's definitely a bigger purchase as a 20.

Hi! I definitely want YG. I know this is awful but I don't know what Chalcedony is. Going to have to look into this some more. No matter which piece I get, I do want just one motif. Do you think the Sweetie would be a good option for me in opal? Maybe it would be nice and petitie.
You can read about Chalcedony in an ongoing discussion on this thread.
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads...my-current-15-motifs-vintage-necklace.965746/

Chalcedony is offered as a single motif but only in WG. VCA does not do Opal, so I don't know if you are referring to Chalcedony.
White MOP is offered as a single motif in both YG and WG.

The Vintage Alhambra size is small enough with great impact. You will have to try both the sweet and vintage size to see which suits you best.

You can read about Chalcedony in an ongoing discussion on this thread.
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads...my-current-15-motifs-vintage-necklace.965746/

Chalcedony is offered as a single motif but only in WG. VCA does not do Opal, so I don't know if you are referring to Chalcedony.
White MOP is offered as a single motif in both YG and WG.

The Vintage Alhambra size is small enough with great impact. You will have to try both the sweet and vintage size to see which suits you best.
Oops sorry, I meant MOP not opal. Thanks for the link- am going to read some more!

I'd probably go with the yellow gold vintage pendant to start, especially given that you don't have a boutique nearby. Classic, easy to pair, low-maintenance, and easy to layer with other pieces. With any of the stones, I'd want to either see it in person or have an SA with whom I've established a rapport in case I had to send it back.

So true, totally agree.

Reactions: HADASSA