What's better quality?

that_claudz

Jan 6, 2013
Hi there,

Long story but I have a store credit with NAP to use up. Didn't want to buy anything too pricy as I simply plan on using just so I don't waste the credit. Thought I might as well look at a few bags I like.

What do you all think is better quality when comparing Marc by Marc Jacobs, Michael Michael Kors and See by Chloé?

I wanted the MJ and MK upon a recent trip to USA (too over priced in Australia) but didn't get either as I settled on several Kate Spade and Coach instead.

Any thoughts?

I haven't bought anything from MbMJ for years, but out of those brands I think it's the best. I am often very tempted by some of the kooky designs and at the price-point where something just for fun is OK (strangely the last thing I bought was a very serious plain black bag).

Everything I have ever bought by See by Chloe (mostly RTW) has fallen apart, even simple skirts so I would never by from them again.

MMK, I don't know sorry but those great big MK dangly things put me off even looking.

Thank you all.

My husband has talked me out of all of them. LOL. I have a store credit to spend with NAP so wanted to pick up something not too pricy. As I suppose I'm sort of spending for the sake of it being there.

I might put it towards a wallet instead by a premium designer as he suggested!

I do still like the MBMJ bags though, but they seem so pricy for what they are!

I think it also depends on what lines you go for. I have a mbmj hillier and it's quite nice, but I saw a bag from the petal to the metal line (I think that's the name) and the preppy leather line and they both had quite inferior leather, felt almost fake.

I also think that coach uses a wide variety of leathers, but mine have always held up well.

MBMJ bags are great workhorses, and IMO they are better value for money than most luxe designers. I have a MBMJ lil Ukita that I use a lot, it takes a beating and still looks great. :biggrin: I think this designer is best when working with the thick, chewy cow leather that they use on the Hillier, Natasha and Ukita, it's really thick and soft and lovely. Quality-wise, I'd happily compare it to my other bags like Bal, Mulberry and PS, and it's a fraction of the price of the others.

MK is a bit over-saturated where I live. The quality seems fine (haven't examined them in detail), but for roughly the same amount of money I'd definitely go for MBMJ over MK.

Chloe (both the original and diffusion lines) aren't good value for money based on what I've heard. No first-hand experience but I've heard a lot of people complaining about them falling apart.

Did you get the NAP credit from doing mystery shopping, by any chance? ;) I have a credit that I'm trying to spend too.

MBMJ bags are great workhorses, and IMO they are better value for money than most luxe designers. I have a MBMJ lil Ukita that I use a lot, it takes a beating and still looks great. :biggrin: I think this designer is best when working with the thick, chewy cow leather that they use on the Hillier, Natasha and Ukita, it's really thick and soft and lovely. Quality-wise, I'd happily compare it to my other bags like Bal, Mulberry and PS, and it's a fraction of the price of the others.

MK is a bit over-saturated where I live. The quality seems fine (haven't examined them in detail), but for roughly the same amount of money I'd definitely go for MBMJ over MK.

Chloe (both the original and diffusion lines) aren't good value for money based on what I've heard. No first-hand experience but I've heard a lot of people complaining about them falling apart.

Did you get the NAP credit from doing mystery shopping, by any chance? ;) I have a credit that I'm trying to spend too.

Thanks for your thorough feedback!

How did you do mystery shopping with NAP? That sounds intriguing! Lol.

I have store credit that they offered me after DHL decided to leave my package on my front door step and not bothering to ring the bell (and signed the package on my behalf!) and because they did not include the designer box and dust bag from my purchase. I am sad I don't have the box but can't complain as it gives me some money to put towards another purchase. It will cover the international shipping plus a little more.

I was actually looking at the Ukita. None of the brands I named above are really that popular in Australia. Not in the same volume I saw in the states. I felt like everyone there owned a MK where else here, it's the more fashion conscious that venture to those brands. I don't like all of the MK stuff, but have been interested in a few models of bags.

The more I think about it though, the more I just want to save a little extra more and spend it on something ever better. Lol. At this rate I won't be buying anything soon as I am so indecisive!

Really I didn't know that mainline Chloe has that reputation :-s is that a recent thing, I'm not a reg in the Chloe sub-forum? I have/had both, but See by Chloe compared mainline Chloe was like chalk and cheese. Whist I would never by See again from my own experiences, I have personally never had a problem with mainline Chloe ever, and love everything I still have, my Paddy and Bay are still amazing after years of heavy duty work, the diffusion and the mainline are world's apart in my eyes.

Really I didn't know that mainline Chloe has that reputation :-s is that a recent thing? I have/had both, but See by Chloe compared mainline Chloe was like chalk and cheese. Whist I would never by See again from my own experiences, I have personally never had a problem with mainline Chloe ever, and love everything I still have, my Paddy and Bay are still amazing after years of heavy duty work, the diffusion and the mainline are world's apart in my eyes.

It is indeed disappointing if they are really both similar. I am glad you've never had a bad experience with a Chloe. I have never really heard of the main line being bad in quality but at the same time have been reluctant to buy one as personally have been leaning towards more "mainstream" brands that seem to have a longer history of reputation. Not always the way to go I know, but also don't want to just throw money around for the unknown! LOL.

Thanks for your thorough feedback!

How did you do mystery shopping with NAP? That sounds intriguing! Lol.

I have store credit that they offered me after DHL decided to leave my package on my front door step and not bothering to ring the bell (and signed the package on my behalf!) and because they did not include the designer box and dust bag from my purchase. I am sad I don't have the box but can't complain as it gives me some money to put towards another purchase. It will cover the international shipping plus a little more.

I was actually looking at the Ukita. None of the brands I named above are really that popular in Australia. Not in the same volume I saw in the states. I felt like everyone there owned a MK where else here, it's the more fashion conscious that venture to those brands. I don't like all of the MK stuff, but have been interested in a few models of bags.

The more I think about it though, the more I just want to save a little extra more and spend it on something ever better. Lol. At this rate I won't be buying anything soon as I am so indecisive!
Oh, that sucks about your purchase, but it's good that they gave you a credit. I agree that it's much better to wait and think and buy something that you really want, instead of wasting your credit just for the sake of spending it on something. Not sure how long yours lasts, but I've got mine for a year, and I keep having to tell myself to sit on it until something that I really want comes up.

I'm originally from NZ and I totally know what you mean, things feel a lot more casual and less brand-conscious back home. Depends on which city you're in, of course. Are you close to any stores that carry these brands so you can go and compare in person?

Mystery shopping for NAP involved ordering something using their premium delivery service, making a made-up complaint to customer service, then returning the item using the premium service. It was quite fun, even though I had no real complaints about my item (amazing BV pouch) and was quite sad to have to return it. :biggrin:

Really I didn't know that mainline Chloe has that reputation :-s is that a recent thing, I'm not a reg in the Chloe sub-forum? I have/had both, but See by Chloe compared mainline Chloe was like chalk and cheese. Whist I would never by See again from my own experiences, I have personally never had a problem with mainline Chloe ever, and love everything I still have, my Paddy and Bay are still amazing after years of heavy duty work, the diffusion and the mainline are world's apart in my eyes.
Two of my friends had problems with their Paraty and Marcie respectively, with stitching becoming undone and bits falling off. I don't frequent the Chloe subforum either so I don't know if this is a common thing, or if they just had really bad luck. In any case I get the sense that Chloe of recent years isn't holding up, quality-wise.

Oh, that sucks about your purchase, but it's good that they gave you a credit. I agree that it's much better to wait and think and buy something that you really want, instead of wasting your credit just for the sake of spending it on something. Not sure how long yours lasts, but I've got mine for a year, and I keep having to tell myself to sit on it until something that I really want comes up.

I'm originally from NZ and I totally know what you mean, things feel a lot more casual and less brand-conscious back home. Depends on which city you're in, of course. Are you close to any stores that carry these brands so you can go and compare in person?

Mystery shopping for NAP involved ordering something using their premium delivery service, making a made-up complaint to customer service, then returning the item using the premium service. It was quite fun, even though I had no real complaints about my item (amazing BV pouch) and was quite sad to have to return it. :biggrin:

Yep mine is for a year too. So I'm doing all my research and waiting to see if any of the things I like come on sale- as their sale prices are soooo good! One minute I don't want to spend too much- so thinking contemporary design, next minute I want a YSL wallet or McQ bag. I'm hopeless. I'm doing a Europe trip this year too so want to buy something that I perhaps wouldn't get there. Lol.

I live in Sydney so despite being in major city, I don't think people in my age group are as brand conscious. I mean, I know in the States I saw young girls with designer. Even on this forum! But for me it was kind of "uncool" to have a designer brand back in high school or even university. I was into a lot of surf and skate stuff back in my late teens, early 20s! I started indulging in Mimco and Oroton and what not during my uni days. Even now, in mid 20s- none of my friends own a Coach or any designer really. It's just a really different culture! My friends think I'm mad and obscene for the amount I spend on things. (I like designer sunglasses and what not too) And I seem to relate better to people at work who are slightly older than me and have this sort of stuff. The variety here is just not so great!

Your mystery shopping experience sounds really interesting! Looks like if it was me I would have had a real complaint though with my package left out like that! Lol.

i agree with paper that i am not into those Mk hanging from the kors bags. Anything from MJ is my choice. great company and excellent designers with the best materials is top notch in my book.