what's after HG?

I think that holy, sublime feeling can only come over time, because it needs to be based on memories, experiences and some stronger emotional basis than the exciting obsession we feel in anticipating our bags. For me it's normal not to feel that right away... where would it come from anyway in a completely new-to-me-bag?

where would it come from?
"in a completely new to me bag"?

I think you're more emotionally attached to your stuff than I am. the desire and the hunt is simply what excites me. I don't build memories with my bags. I just want them and feel good once I've acquired them.

so every purchase is HG. :P

Oh no, I don't think so. I bought the Westminster basically for travel. Great bag, great size, Holy Grail - no.

Now my Black Capucine with Hot Pink interior - now that's a Holy Grail bag. Nothing like it before and I'm assuming nothing like it after. (Of course the jury is still out on that one). Hehe

I guess HG means different things to different people. As well it should be. :ghi5:

Oh no, I don't think so. I bought the Westminster basically for travel. Great bag, great size, Holy Grail - no.

Now my Black Capucine with Hot Pink interior - now that's a Holy Grail bag. Nothing like it before and I'm assuming nothing like it after. (Of course the jury is still out on that one). Hehe

I guess HG means different things to different people. As well it should be. :ghi5:

I understand. I got my speedy DE for winter (when it rains) but not HG.
you're right...
there's the practical reason behind every purchase and then there's that *gasp* I-want-that purchase.

I think that holy, sublime feeling can only come over time, because it needs to be based on memories, experiences and some stronger emotional basis than the exciting obsession we feel in anticipating our bags. For me it's normal not to feel that right away... where would it come from anyway in a completely new-to-me-bag?

if I have any attachment, it would be the celebration behind the purchase (anniversary, had a baby, etc...) and that applies whether new or pre-owned.

I don't think I knew that I had a HG until I found one!

I had a couple Marc Jacobs and eventually came around to LV when I discovered the Manhattan bc it's essentially a more structured MJ in mono print. I lusted over a couple LVs and pulled the trigger on mostly SLGs while saving up for an Artsy and...whammo...caught myself vintage browsing around town and walked right into a Mahina situation. Head swiveled, clouds parted, classical music started playing, etc. In all fairness, I didn't even know what Mahina was, but I knew it was LVoe at first sight!

I'm sure someday I'll pull the trigger on an Emp or DA Artsy bc I still admire the style but now that I have a gorgeous smooshy Mahina that can be worn on my shoulder or crossbody & is possibly the most functional bag ever, I'm not as antsy about Artsy. The only thing that makes me slightly antsy is that if I wait I'll have a DH to say (!!!) on the price point whereas in the next....several months...anything I buy only has to be answered to me, myself and I.

I don't think I knew that I had a HG until I found one!

I had a couple Marc Jacobs and eventually came around to LV when I discovered the Manhattan bc it's essentially a more structured MJ in mono print. I lusted over a couple LVs and pulled the trigger on mostly SLGs while saving up for an Artsy and...whammo...caught myself vintage browsing around town and walked right into a Mahina situation. Head swiveled, clouds parted, classical music started playing, etc. In all fairness, I didn't even know what Mahina was, but I knew it was LVoe at first sight!

I'm sure someday I'll pull the trigger on an Emp or DA Artsy bc I still admire the style but now that I have a gorgeous smooshy Mahina that can be worn on my shoulder or crossbody & is possibly the most functional bag ever, I'm not as antsy about Artsy. The only thing that makes me slightly antsy is that if I wait I'll have a DH to say (!!!) on the price point whereas in the next....several months...anything I buy only has to be answered to me, myself and I.

In my case, I've always wanted the mahina but felt that it's too pricey to avail. I've acquired 6 LVs in 3 or 4 years without the thought that I'd ever get a mahina.
I stumbled across a like new condition in the pre-owned market in the color that I really love. justifying the price difference from a brand new one, I thought I'd grab it. so I did.
if I were to add all the LV pieces I've acquired, I would have been able to purchase a brand new mahina. why didn't I do it sooner? :smile:
also, the mahina is getting discontinued, so I assume it would be harder to find.
I'm really glad I did this purchase.
It's getting delivered tomorrow. I'll do a reveal if I have time.

after this, I'm not too crazy about everything else. had I done this from the beginning, I would have probably stopped at having only 1. "probably". :smile:

Definitely no remorse, I'd never give away that gorgeous SC bag ever again. :biggrin:
But I "only" love her equally as much as my Eva, my Balenciaga City, my Speedy etc ... even though I obsessed over the SC waaaaaay longer and waaaaay more than over any of my other bags. Again, I love her and I'm in no way or shape disappointed, but when I hear the words "holy" and "grail", I imagine a different feeling - eg the feeling I have with my key holder. Which btw was a complete impulse buy. Nevertheless, that tiny thing gives me a way more sublime and "holier" feeling than my actual HG bag... that's all I was trying to say. Don't necessarily expect your HG bag to make you feel this holy sublime way, because often they don't, but something else will cross your path and feel totally "holy" and "grail"-like. :smile:

I read both your posts, and I get it, about the 'holy grail' item.

I think maybe that holy grail is also a subjective term. There seem to be many valid understandings of what 'holy grail' means, from person to person.

I think, one needs to ask first what an HG really is.

For me, it always used to be the bag that was the most difficult to obtain (in my case that was the most expensive one on my wish list) and because of that, I desired it more and more and overly glorified it.
I was finally able to buy it (an SC bag) and - don't get me wrong - I love the bag, it's awesome. But it's the same kind of love I already had for other bags before her. I like taking her out, I feel good when I carry her, but an ecstatic holy grail OMG WOW experience? No.

If you'd ask me today, what my HG is, I'd say it's my monogram key holder. I use it every single day for my keys (duh) and my bus pass. Whenever I slide it into my pocket, I'm thinking how amazing the canvas still feels in my hand. When I pull it out of my pocket at the bus stop I smile broadly, because it's just the most perfect, handy little thing.
The leather on the inside still smells divine after a year, so sometimes I sniff it. Did it ever come to my mind to sniff the leather on my holy grail SC bag? Nope, never.

I think the true holy grails only crystalize after one has had them for a while and suddenly realizes how they've added tons of unexpected joy every day.

With the SC I got my HG-bag in theory, but in practice it's not an HG at all, while that tiny key holder turned out to have stolen my heart. I'll just keep collecting bags and surely another one will really stand out again one day. That's what happened after my HG, hope it helped! :smile:

:goodpost:

You will want another one in a different color or size - for me, there are currently only 2 HGs. Other bags have their place but these are the only bags that make my heart skip a best - Chanel classic jumbo double flap in black caviar with gold hardware is the ultimate HG. I put it above LV and above the hermes bags that I have considered. For LV, there is my SC.

I would trade in all of my bags if I could just have SCs and flaps in varying colors and sizes. I am waitlisted for a Kelly so we shall see if I take the leap into Hermes territory though I am very scared to start that obsession. I swore there would only be one chanel when I got the flap . . . that hasn't panned out. But I figure no other Hermes has won me over so I might as well shoot for the the only one that I dream of. Maybe that will be the bag that cures my obsession.

I have tons of HG list from LV...so it would be never ending cycle for me after I obtain my HG one by one. Their is a lot that are extremely expensive, I would have to wait till I can get into a high paying career! :lol:

Ever since I got my HG bag Capucines I've fallen more and more in love with it. I think for me, getting my HG bag just made me want the same bag in different colors and sizes. :P

After i got my HG, in my case, the sc in jasper, I m satisfied with wat i own. So i should take a long break until my next bag purchase (most likely will b a Celine box bag). This way, i ll have more time to enjoy the sc. In the interim, i m buying slgs. The SC set a v high benchmark, i believe that if my next target doesnt give me that HG feeling (as the SC did), then it means i dont need to buy that. kwim.