what's after HG?

HG to me is something you've obsessed about in order to obtain. regardless of price.
did you obsess about the key holder before making the purchase?
if you didn't then it's just an impulse purchase that happened to be a smart choice that you're happy about until now.

HG is something you've lost sleep over. if you're not as happy as you thought you'd be, then that's buyers remorse perhaps?

I think, one needs to ask first what an HG really is.

For me, it always used to be the bag that was the most difficult to obtain (in my case that was the most expensive one on my wish list) and because of that, I desired it more and more and overly glorified it.
I was finally able to buy it (an SC bag) and - don't get me wrong - I love the bag, it's awesome. But it's the same kind of love I already had for other bags before her. I like taking her out, I feel good when I carry her, but an ecstatic holy grail OMG WOW experience? No.

If you'd ask me today, what my HG is, I'd say it's my monogram key holder. I use it every single day for my keys (duh) and my bus pass. Whenever I slide it into my pocket, I'm thinking how amazing the canvas still feels in my hand. When I pull it out of my pocket at the bus stop I smile broadly, because it's just the most perfect, handy little thing.
The leather on the inside still smells divine after a year, so sometimes I sniff it. Did it ever come to my mind to sniff the leather on my holy grail SC bag? Nope, never.

I think the true holy grails only crystalize after one has had them for a while and suddenly realizes how they've added tons of unexpected joy every day.

With the SC I got my HG-bag in theory, but in practice it's not an HG at all, while that tiny key holder turned out to have stolen my heart. I'll just keep collecting bags and surely another one will really stand out again one day. That's what happened after my HG, hope it helped! :smile:

HG to me is something you've obsessed about in order to obtain. regardless of price.
did you obsess about the key holder before making the purchase?
if you didn't then it's just an impulse purchase that happened to be a smart choice that you're happy about until now.

HG is something you've lost sleep over. if you're not as happy as you thought you'd be, then that's buyers remorse perhaps?

Definitely no remorse, I'd never give away that gorgeous SC bag ever again. :biggrin:
But I "only" love her equally as much as my Eva, my Balenciaga City, my Speedy etc ... even though I obsessed over the SC waaaaaay longer and waaaaay more than over any of my other bags. Again, I love her and I'm in no way or shape disappointed, but when I hear the words "holy" and "grail", I imagine a different feeling - eg the feeling I have with my key holder. Which btw was a complete impulse buy. Nevertheless, that tiny thing gives me a way more sublime and "holier" feeling than my actual HG bag... that's all I was trying to say. Don't necessarily expect your HG bag to make you feel this holy sublime way, because often they don't, but something else will cross your path and feel totally "holy" and "grail"-like. :smile:

Definitely no remorse, I'd never give away that gorgeous SC bag ever again. :biggrin:
But I "only" love her equally as much as my Eva, my Balenciaga City, my Speedy etc ... even though I obsessed over the SC waaaaaay longer and waaaaay more than over any of my other bags. Again, I love her and I'm in no way or shape disappointed, but when I hear the words "holy" and "grail", I imagine a different feeling - eg the feeling I have with my key holder. Which btw was a complete impulse buy. Nevertheless, that tiny thing gives me a way more sublime and "holier" feeling than my actual HG bag... that's all I was trying to say. Don't necessarily expect your HG bag to make you feel this holy sublime way, because often they don't, but something else will cross your path and feel totally "holy" and "grail"-like. :smile:

I certainly hope I don't feel that way.
I can't sleep waiting for UPS and if I feel like that once I get my hands on it, I'd be bummed.

lol. did you get the ana or the fascinate?
I told my husband that I think this is it for me and he was like, I've heard that before. LOL.
That is what my DH says too....:lol:
But seriously, I really do think that there is something to be said for getting your HG. It does make you content in a different way, not to say that you NEVER want anything else but it does make other bags less appealing. After I feel like I have a "category" covered, I am good. :cool: So excited for you to get your Mahina ~ it really is a great bag!!

Well, I have to say, I've never processed the term HG in purse speak the way others here do. As I understand the term, it's a bag that is the end all be all bag for each of us. A bag you dream of, stress out over, want terribly, but is slightly out of reach for whatever reason and you have to wait for it.

I don't have a HG. I just have a list and I'm methodically working my way down it. Sounds kinda boring, doesn't it? But, I think what Tulip says is more along how I feel. I can be "done" with my list, but I KNOW I'll find something new and fun I want to have.

And, I also understand Waugse in that I stayed awake obsessing over getting a speedy b DE (not a worthy bag by some standards!) crunching numbers, trying to get there faster. I finally stumbled on an awesome deal on Yoogis. An item I bought was pulled, so they gave me a 10% discount, then a fab speedy B came up and I grabbed it for an excellent price thereby pushing up my purchase date-joy! But, here I sit, still enjoying that bag tremendously and using it a ton this winter, but it's not my favorite item.

It just dawned on me-it's like wanting a tattoo and loving it so much you think you'll be happy with it the rest of your life. For me, noooooo way! There is nothing I want to wear on my body the rest of my life. Therefore, this is no permanent HG bag. :lol:

That is what my DH says too....:lol:
But seriously, I really do think that there is something to be said for getting your HG. It does make you content in a different way, not to say that you NEVER want anything else but it does make other bags less appealing. After I feel like I have a "category" covered, I am good. :cool: So excited for you to get your Mahina ~ it really is a great bag!!

thanks, I'm super excited and I can't wait.
I understand how others have become less appealing.

I had a choice to buy 2 brand new ones. (I was eyeing raspail, speedy B or gucci boston)
or 1 pre-owned mahina.
mahina being my ultimate HG bag, I grabbed the chance to own one.
now the raspail / speedy B or gucci boston don't appeal to me as much even though I had them in mind to purchase brand new prior to the mahina coming in to picture.

I'm not being snobby or anything, I still own NF and speedy and delightful and it's not like those will take a backseat. I still love them to pieces but as far as acquiring bags in the future, I feel really content for now.

let's see how long this will last. it certainly is a good feeling though. :smile:

Well, I have to say, I've never processed the term HG in purse speak the way others here do. As I understand the term, it's a bag that is the end all be all bag for each of us. A bag you dream of, stress out over, want terribly, but is slightly out of reach for whatever reason and you have to wait for it.

I don't have a HG. I just have a list and I'm methodically working my way down it. Sounds kinda boring, doesn't it? But, I think what Tulip says is more along how I feel. I can be "done" with my list, but I KNOW I'll find something new and fun I want to have.

And, I also understand Waugse in that I stayed awake obsessing over getting a speedy b DE (not a worthy bag by some standards!) crunching numbers, trying to get there faster. I finally stumbled on an awesome deal on Yoogis. An item I bought was pulled, so they gave me a 10% discount, then a fab speedy B came up and I grabbed it for an excellent price thereby pushing up my purchase date-joy! But, here I sit, still enjoying that bag tremendously and using it a ton this winter, but it's not my favorite item.

It just dawned on me-it's like wanting a tattoo and loving it so much you think you'll be happy with it the rest of your life. For me, noooooo way! There is nothing I want to wear on my body the rest of my life. Therefore, this is no permanent HG bag. :lol:

from what I see, if we define HG as something we obsess over, then all our purchases are HG. :smile: nothing wrong with that. lol. and so it follows that there is no permanent HG bag.

Well, I just got my HG for Christmas....the Speedy 30 in Infini. I'm content for now BUT DH and I are going to Paris next year and I hope to get the W! I think the fact that I'm not obsessing about it is because I have a stunning bag to love (and 9 other LV bags). I'm OK with waiting. I never felt that way before. For years I would buy, sell, buy, obsess. I'm over that now. Could be my age - almost 40...could be that I know I can buy what I want now when I want it instead of having to sell or save up...or it could be that I have "enough now with my HG. Not sure exactly what it is, but I'm happy that I'm content....for now. :smile:

I certainly hope I don't feel that way.
I can't sleep waiting for UPS and if I feel like that once I get my hands on it, I'd be bummed.

Why? I'm super-happy about my HG bag. Exactly as happy and thankful as I feel for all of my gorgeous bags. "Holy" is just a very big word for me, that I wouldn't use easily unless I have a long, heartfelt connection with something (eg my old key-holder). I don't understand why you hope you don't feel as happy about your bag as I feel about mine. I certainly hope your bag brings you as much happiness as each of mine has brought me. :smile:

Anyway, just to tie that back in with the original question: After my planned/theoretical HG there will be many more planned/theoretical HGs, like the Monceau BB in Indian Rose I'm obsessing over right now. And a Celine Box. And a Bottega. And and and. So many more HGs to obsess over and look up on Google Image Search during sleepless nights. :graucho:

And the surprising/heartfelt HGs will also come up during that journey. Maybe in a year, when I've used my planned/theoretical HG-SC to death, she'll also turn into a piece as holy to me as my beloved key-holder. :smile:

Well, I just got my HG for Christmas....the Speedy 30 in Infini. I'm content for now BUT DH and I are going to Paris next year and I hope to get the W! I think the fact that I'm not obsessing about it is because I have a stunning bag to love (and 9 other LV bags). I'm OK with waiting. I never felt that way before. For years I would buy, sell, buy, obsess. I'm over that now. Could be my age - almost 40...could be that I know I can buy what I want now when I want it instead of having to sell or save up...or it could be that I have "enough now with my HG. Not sure exactly what it is, but I'm happy that I'm content....for now. :smile:

I like that content feeling...it's a good thing. :smile:

"Don't necessarily expect your HG bag to make you feel this holy sublime way, because often they don't" --that's what I don't want.
I want to be happy and "holy-grail-like" at the same time.

Why? I'm super-happy about my HG bag. Exactly as happy and thankful as I feel for all of my gorgeous bags. "Holy" is just a very big word for me, that I wouldn't use easily unless I have a long, heartfelt connection with something (eg my old key-holder). I don't understand why you hope you don't feel as happy about your bag as I feel about mine. I certainly hope your bag brings you as much happiness as each of mine has brought me. :smile:

Anyway, just to tie that back in with the original question: After my planned/theoretical HG there will be many more planned/theoretical HGs, like the Monceau BB in Indian Rose I'm obsessing over right now. And a Celine Box. And a Bottega. And and and. So many more HGs to obsess over and look up on Google Image Search during sleepless nights. :graucho:

And the surprising/heartfelt HGs will also come up during that journey. Maybe in a year, when I've used my planned/theoretical HG-SC to death, she'll also turn into a piece as holy to me as my beloved key-holder. :smile:

+1000

Totally nailed it! The question really is, can anyone of us crazy bag ladies (and gentlemen) ever accept a truly final bag? :graucho:

I'd personally crumble immediately!

For me, having and enjoying the bag is equally as big of a factor as the anticipation and the hunt. If I'd stop at one final bag at some point, half of my satisfaction would be gone. But then again, I'm one of these people who sell unused bags in an eye-blink. If, however, you keep each of your bags and your closet is slowly overflowing, then I can certainly see how it is attractive to finalize the collection with an HG at some point. :smile:

"Don't necessarily expect your HG bag to make you feel this holy sublime way, because often they don't" --that's what I don't want.
I want to be happy and "holy-grail-like" at the same time.

I think that holy, sublime feeling can only come over time, because it needs to be based on memories, experiences and some stronger emotional basis than the exciting obsession we feel in anticipating our bags. For me it's normal not to feel that right away... where would it come from anyway in a completely new-to-me-bag?