What's a hard gold?

dearmissie

I'm MARRIED!!
Aug 16, 2007
I'm reading up about gold because I'm wanting to buy some people some jewelry for this Christmas and I stumbled upon some articles saying that 10kt gold is "harder" and more "durable" than 14kt and 18kt gold?! Are my eyes reading this right?? All my stuff is 14kt or 18kt. (very few 24kt). I don't really pay attention to how sensitive some of my stuff is. I guess I should. Whatever I buy this year I just want it to be really durable and strong if they wanted to wear their jewelery everyday.

(I should call my Grandparents because they are retired Jewelers, but my Grandma is sleeping [and has lost a lot of her memory from her Jeweling days! And her first husband, whom she shared her business with back them, and now are divorced] lives in Thailand. Hope I can find some help on here! TIA lovely tPFers!!)

Thanks, I know about how they are catagorized by how much pure gold and alloys are in it. But I still am clueless if 10k is the hardest?? Maybe because of added alloys?? Any articles on that?? TIA!

It is the hardest anything beyond that just isn't gold anymore. Even the 10k doesn't have the warmth and color of the higher karats if you are just looking for something that can take alot of wear then go with 14k it is plenty durable. With 10k you never know what metals they are putting in could be nickel but who knows, many people find if they have metal allergies it will be with that type of gold. Hope that helps

Gold by itself is a soft metal. 10k is harder because of the alloys. But if you want yellow gold, 10k might not look as "golden" as you'd like.

A lot of men's jewelry is made of 10k because it's assumed they'll be rougher on their jewelry..

As for possible allergies to the other metals in the alloy; as long as you buy high-quality jewelry, there will probably not be nickel in it. It just varies from person to person though. My sister can wear the cheapest costume jewelry and have no problems, whereas my best friend has to wear at least 18k.

Basically, if you're going to buy an item that will get a lot of everyday contact/wear, such as a ring or a bracelet, 10k or 14k would probably be fine and durable enough. If it's an item that won't get banged around much, such as earrings or a pendant/necklace (or any special occasion item even) then 18k would be fine. :tup:

Overall, yes 10k is the hardest available in the US, but 14k would do just fine for most people for everyday wear; so I, too, would recommend 14k. Also, if you're wondering about my qualifications, I have an Accredited Jewelry Professional diploma from the GIA. ;)

I don't wear much gold but I have a few 18k and it's pretty good. I do however have a gold ring that is very soft. If I press hard enough, it changes. 24k? I don't know. I've had it since I was young and due to constant playing around with it, no longer is round and as such, no longer used. I wouldn't recommend that one!

Gold by itself is a soft metal. 10k is harder because of the alloys. But if you want yellow gold, 10k might not look as "golden" as you'd like.

^:yes:

10k yellow gold is really strong, but I hate the color. I usually buy 18k and I've never had any problems.

Just make sure the pieces are solid all the way through... A lot of cheaper gold pieces (like rings, hoop earrings, etc) are hollow in the center, so you can crush them between your fingers because they're so soft :sad:...

I was actually informed that some 18k gold is harder than any other gold alloy. Here is a link to a website that explains why that is the case. It is not true that the less gold there is in the alloy the harder the alloy overall since some of the alloys used in 10k, 12k etc are not exactly harder than gold and because a mixture of metals has different chemical properties than the individual properties of the individual element metals.

This website sums up the issue quite well http://www.18carat.co.uk/hardnessofgoldalloys.html

I personally prefer 18k gold overall for its color and strength.

Diana

I wear a lot of gold & i prefer 18ct as it's a richer & more golden in colour but it is a softer metal, although my Gran has a 18ct wedding ring & has worn it every day for over 50 years & it is still solid & i wear my 18ct rings every day & never had a problem. If you buy a good quality 18ct ring you will be bored of it before it's worn. it's made to last. Just make sure you don't stack a 9ct next to a 18ct as it will get worn over time. It's true though 9ct & 10ct are a harder gold, just not as pretty.
:yes:

Having worked in a jewellers for years (not anymore) it really depends where you shop. If you buy gold from one of the big jewellery chain stores there really is not going to be alot of difference. 18,14,12,10 and 9ct will really be of the same density and most of the time even the same colour. These days they manufacture gold with a number of alloys and they even very often have the same weight.... 9 or 18!! These days there is really no difference...other than the price and amount of actual gold in the product.

It's when you go to the more upmarket even custom made jewellers you will notice a difference in colour (especially) and density.... that is my personal experience in buying / selling / managing jewellery. Obviously there is bette quality control and you are certainly paying for a certain standard of craftmanship.

If you buy from a bigger outlet you can combine a 10ct enagagement ring with an 18ct wedding band for EG.... there will be no rubbing / wearing down... but if one is an older piece of jewellery or perhaps has been custom made I would not wear them together or next to eachother. THEN you will notice a differnce and your 18ct may be affected in the long term.

Big chain jewellers are very sneaky these days... sometimes your ring might say 18ct but there can be less than 12 parts gold in there.... also the mark up is ridiculous.

In terms of white gold you will not notice a difference in colour whether it be 18 or 10. IMO white gold never really has 18 over 24 parts of gold in it anyway...!! UNLESS of course it is an antique or custom made. Big jewellers get away with murder these days...IMO....