What's a good starter wallet?

Lifewithkenya

May 6, 2013
I'll be graduating High school and heading to college and I noticed that my wallet is literally coming apart and I want to invest in a wallet this year. I'll be working this summer so I figured I would spoil myself on a first Louis Vuitton item. I am going to be a college student so I don't want to spend a lot of money. I am looking at the Emilie wallet but I don't know wether to get the canvas I heard its not sturdy and I love the epi but Im not sure what color would be neutral enough. I do have a lot of cards but I want a key pouch so thats not a big deal as far as storage space goes. What would be a good starter wallet?

P.S. Would the silver on the epi clash with the brass on a Louis Vuitton speedy. I want one of those also but way down the line.

Last edited:
I'll be graduating High school and heading to college and I noticed that my wallet is literally coming apart and I want to invest in a wallet this year. I'll be working this summer so I figured I would spoil myself on a first Louis Vuitton item. I am going to be a college student so I don't want to spend a lot of money. I am looking at the Emilie wallet but I don't know wether to get the canvas I heard its not sturdy and I love the epi but Im not sure what color would be neutral enough. I do have a lot of cards but I want a key pouch so thats not a big deal as far as storage space goes. What would be a good starter wallet?

P.S. Would the silver on the epi clash with the brass on a Louis Vuitton speedy. I want one of those also but way down the line.

I really like the sarah, it has a lot of card slots and a lot of storage pockets plus a zipped pocket...monogram canvas is very durable, I've had no issues with mine.....

The disclaimer here is that I don't own an LV wallet (yet...lol), but the Josephine has personally caught my eye. I like the envelope front a smidge better than the rounded front of the emilie. I think both Josephine and Emilie are Great entry-level wallets.

Canvas is very durable. I had a monogram French purse wallet that I used for 5 years and it was still in good condition when I sold it. My vote is for the Sarah or Emilie wallet!

Hi there! My LV starter wallet was the Josephine in DE... I've had it for about 8 months, using it nonstop. It's a beautiful wallet, that's very durable and roomy. I'm also able to keep my checkbook in the larger compartment.

I hope you find your dream wallet and enjoy

I think the Emilie is a perfect starter wallet! It's a great price and very durable. My mom got hers in DA that she's let me use a few times and I love it! It's a great value.

Good luck!

I vote for Emilie or Josephine :smile:

Both are of the same price. Almost have the same features, just differs on their fold -- Emilie is bifold, Josephine is trifold (you might know that already). New model of the Emilie will be coming out soon around June-end til July. There will be some modifications so maybe you should wait for it. Also the Josephine will be coming out soon in other colors.

I have the Josephine in DE and have no problems or trouble using it even if it's trifold. But I'll be checking out the new Emilie too once it's released.

GL deciding! ^^)

Sent from my iPhone using PurseForum

Last edited:
The canvas Emilie is a great wallet to start with and super durable. If you are looking at the epi emilie, the dark blue (navy) is a great neutral and an all leather wallet is beautiful. I wouldn't worry about the hardware not matching down the line but I am a big mix and match person so others may feel differently. GL! And congrats!

I vote for Emilie or Josephine :smile:

Both are of the same price. Almost have the same features, just differs on their fold -- Emilie is bifold, Josephine is trifold (you might know that already). New model of the Emilie will be coming out soon around June-end til July. There will be some modifications so maybe you should wait for it. Also the Josephine will be coming out soon in other colors.

I have the Josephine in DE and have no problems or trouble using it even if it's trifold. But I'll be checking out the new Emilie too once it's released.

GL deciding! ^^)

Sent from my iPhone using PurseForum

I also vote for Emilie or Josephine as a starter wallet.

I have linked reviews of each by two of my favorite Utube LV reviewers. GL on deciding.

Emilie wallet review by Jerusha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZwknN4m0zM

Josephine wallet review by Mink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIeNr7qnpYc

Recently fell in LVoe with the Anaïs wallet. It's a compact wallet (so it works in purses small and large, has a separate coin compartment, isn't as pliable as the Josephine or Marie wallets (both known to be more economical wallet in LV with less structure and glazing and therefore lower in price) and it holds a lot!

Great price point too, currently $540 in the us.

It has 6 card slots, front slip pocket where the snap is, two addl returns, and a place to lay cash flat.

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1399821207.711101.jpg
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1399821220.286436.jpg
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1399821233.032356.jpg
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1399821241.959121.jpg

I hope that helped! There's not a lot out there about this gem, but she's just fantastic. Good luck making your decision!!

OP, I just wanted to pop back in and say that I would definitely recommend watching the two YouTube videos that deacc posted. Jerusha is absolutely wonderful, and my favorite YouTube subscription. I just discovered Mink, and she’s great too!

I was also planning on getting my first LV wallet and was really stuck between the Josephine and Emilie too. After many sleepless nights and YouTube replays I came to conclusion that I would rather choose the Emilie wallet. They didn't have the Emilie in DE since its being revised and relaunched mid June so during that wait time, I did some researching and fell in love with the Sarah wallet! I went with the new Sarah because it was a $30 difference and you get extra cc slots and pockets. Reminds me of a Josephine and Sarah in one, the envelope flap and bifold compartment. I'm a one wallet kind of person so I'm not planning on getting another wallet anytime soon so it was worth the big investment for something I love and will use on the daily. :smile: