What's a good 1st REAL bag?

I think the speedy would be my first choice also. That was my first bag. If you wanted another designer I would go with the paddington. They are so beautiful and get tons of compliments although a little heavy

I vote on the Louis Vuitton Speedy 30 - I first fell in love with it's iconic style when I saw a picture of Audrey Hepburn carrying one. However, my "Holy Grail" is the Hermes Birkin.:yes:

So much depends on your personal tastes. Just because the LV Speedy is popular, ask yourself do you like bags with the monogram all over it, do you want a non-leather bag, etc.

The Paddington is very heavy, as is the Marc Jacobs Stam, but they are both 'icon" bags from those designers. What is your price range? Chanels will approach $2000 or more for medium size bags. Bottega Veneta has bags from $1300 and up for their bags. Fendi, Gucci, Dior, YSL, Balenciaga will all be well over $1000, if I'm not mistaken. Online, look at eLuxury, Saks, and Neiman Marcus for ideas and prices. Good luck in your search!

I think I might be the only one on the planet that doesn't like the Speedy. I like the shape, just the sag and the possibility of getting the vachetta handles dirty bother me. :shrugs:

My suggestion is still LV, perhaps something like a Popincourt Haut. A little more expensive than a Speedy and also a timeless style.

Oh, and don't discount your Coach etc. as not being "real". They are perfectly fashionable bags.

depends on your price range too- I love chanel and have my gst 1895 or smaller pst 1300 now? -but if you want something that screams designer for a great price- do the lv speedy- around only 600

With me, I wanted a designer bag that was, no offense to anyone, but not made in China, especially when your paying designer prices! Its worth it to me to feel good about the label as well as where its made. Theres something really cool about leather from Italy, or the USA for that matter! I think the prestige of those items might endure a bit longer as well. Especially when I cant decide between two great items, I always look for that tag and that helps me decide.

LV's too boring. And there are way too many good fakes out there. And the monogram is too "loud". If you decide on LV, at least get damier.

I vote for a chanel flap! Prices are increasing like mad. so get it soon! These have been "in" for half a century.

kooba was my first kinda expensive purchase...

BUT

if i were to get a bag that was of substantial price, it would either be the Fendi Spy, a VERY SECRETIVE LV bag.... which i will NEVER divulge because if for some reason i one day have almost 1500 dollars i'd TOTALLY get it... orrr maybe a Jimmy Choo or Chloe! those are definately some of the first names i'd be looking at!