What year is consider vintage for Kelly box?

Sep 30, 2007
Hello ladies,

I just bought my very first Hermes bag yesterday and it's Kelly box calf in Rouge w/ GHW and it's 1995. I've tried search on Hermes thread and find out what is consider "vintage" for Hermes bag but unable to find the info.

Is 1995 vintage? What year are consider vintage? Please advise.

Not sure what you mean or what information you are looking for. Vintage, strictly speaking, means something high quality from a time gone by so yes, 1995 is a time gone by and the quality is likely to be excellent.

If you like the bag and it's in good shape, does much else really matter?

Hmmm not getting exactly what you mean but let me try ....bydefinition vintage would be classic older and 70s to 2011 would be retro but Hermes has been making the same bags for more than 170 years so........I think this bag is contemporary vintage but .....recent ...but.....but preowned ...but new to you??????

I would go with contemporary vintage ,sounds better .
Hope it helps darling .birkel.

Thanks birkel and mistikat for your explanation.

I've read from some posts stated the mid 90's and called "vintage"; wikipedia that 20's-80's are define as vintage, the on blogs that bags are older than 20 yrs old is vintage.

I am just very confused on the definition and era that define vintage. I wanted to be politically correct and understand what it mean vintage leather handbag or Hermes mean.

Vintage in Kelly would be the 50 th or 60th, the box leather was very different, I have to Kelly H bags from my mom and they are not like mine bought in the 90th and on. But that doesn't matter for you, enjoy your lovely bag it is timeless!

Here is a definition of Vintage from wiki:

Generally speaking, clothing which was produced before the 1920s is referred to as antique clothing and clothing from the 1920s to 1980s is considered vintage. Retro, short for retrospective, or "vintage style" usually refers to clothing that imitates the style of a previous era. Reproduction, or repro, clothing is a newly-made but faithful copy of an older garment. Clothing produced more recently is usually called modern or contemporary fashion. Opinions vary on these definitions.

Although wiki is not always 100% accurate, this description does correspondent to what I've read/known in the past. I think the same applies to accessories.

For me, vintage does not denote any specific age, it means a desirable item of quality and particular style that represents the epitome of an epoch. :supacool:

vintage is what is older than 20 years (vingt ans d'age)

That may be a good rule of thumb, but it's misleading with regards to the true origin of the word. Vintage is an english construction taken from the world of oenologie and doesen't have as much to do with 20 years as it has to do with a certain year when the grapes used for a certain bottle of wine were picked. In that way, it corresponds to papertiger's description quite well. ^_^