What would you have done? Was I wrong?

You guys are great............You have all made me feel better, I was feeling so so so bad for having told her the bag was a fake, but I just wanted to tell her before anyone else did. Now that she knows, she can move on to bigger and better bags ;) As she explained to me in teenage girl words......"You just don't know what a fake Coach bag can do to your reputation, life will just suck"! I tried to tell her that It won't be that bad as long as you just don't try to pass it off as a real bag....

I think you definitely handled it properly. Better that her mom pointed it out than someone at school. Can you imagine her embarrassment if that would have happened? And then the guilt you would feel afterward for not having said something? She was going to be upset either way, but I think this way was the lesser of two evils. Good job!

:dothewave:

I completely agree. Kids at school can be soooo cruel. We were never into name brand handbags when I was in school (just had our 10 yr reunion) but if that's what the kids are all paying attention to, the last thing you want to do is allow your child to go through that humiliation. In High school it's hard enough to avoid giving others something to ridicule you about! I can tell it was hard for you to do, but you definitely went about it the right way! :tup:

I think that you did the right thing!!! If you had not told her, and found out by some other person in front of all the class, she be mortified!!! But the thing about the boy friend is weird, So he told her it was real? I hope he did not really pay money for it... Hey I wonder if thats the same guy thats mom asked a fellow tpf member for a box and bag!!! Maybe your daughter was not as angry of the purse itself.... but if she had any feelings towards the boy she was probably more sad about that!! and embarrassed that you know the truth about him.

O.K this is getting worse...............
The "boy Friend's" mother just called and left a message on my phone asking me If my daughter liked her present. Do I return the call? What should I say? She already said Thank you and all that, but.....

Oh my... this is certainly not good, the phone call from the boy's mother that is. I also agree that you did the right thing by telling your daughter right away that the Coach bag was a fake.

I think you did the right thing. I'm a teen, and though I'd be upset at first if my mom told me, I'd be happy that she saved some embarassment for me if I used that fake in public... I see a lot of fakes where I live, but it just makes me shake my head...

I would tell the boy's mother that she liked the gift, because it seems that she did. No need to mention that it's a fake.

If she's the type of girl that's willing to save her $$$ for your trip to the Coach outlet, then she's definitely not the type of girl who'd want to carry around a fake. You did a very good thing in telling her, even if it did temporarily put a damper on her day.

I think you did the right thing with your daughter. (I don't miss those teenage years!) As for the mother, I would not mention the authinticity or lack there of, just mention that she liked the bag, etc. I am curious to see if she tries to tell you that it is real.

I think you did the right thing! It would be horrible to have her find out from her friends (or non-friends!). I'm sure she'll love her goodies from the outlet! Maybe you could go to the boutique and buy her a little mini skinny or keychain in the meantime.
As for the Mom, I agree with the others, just mention she liked it. I'm willing to bet she brings up whether it's fake! Like "I got a great deal on it!"

:wtf::wtf::wtf:OMG.......You guys are dead on!!
I called the mother back and said thank you for the gift and I didn't mention anything about the fake-ness of the bag!!! She then mentioned if I ever wanted to buy any more Coach bags let her know first b/c she knows a lady that gets maybe 10 at a time at low prices and there is no need to go to the department stores anymore......she got such a great deal on the few that she did buy...... I was like :wtf: I'm just glad I was on the phone b/c if she would have seen my face!!!.........