What would you do?

Jujuma

O.G.
Nov 9, 2009
I got a tiffany sparklers necklace in parisolite for Christmas and love it. I knew I was getting it so I hinted for the earrings from my DH but he didn't get it. He did get me two stacking rings for around $600, a little more than the earrings would have been. The rings were DY and very similar to a DY I have, round pave, double shank, usually a stone in middle but mine is all pave diamonds. My problem is this my DH doesn't care if I return the rings but he wants me to buy something else from the store they were from because SA is a friend, I can get the earrings for my bday. I fell in love with a large cushion cut parisolite DY ring, but it's about $300 more. To me that's more of an anniversary/bday present, not Christmas(too many other expenses). The reason I described my ring is because that one also comes in parisolite for the right price but I don't want it because it's too similiar to the one I have. There were a couple other pieces I liked, but I loved the large DY ring. My DH says just get it, but I'm struggling with decision. What would you do?

You will NOT be happy with the smaller one because you will always want the one your heart is set on. And I guess it depends on the nature of "too many other expenses." Is it simply more than you wanted to spend, or will it require debt or a cutting back in important areas? If that's the case, then it goes without saying to skip it. If you still have the money and just have trouble accepting spending that much, then go ahead. After a short while, when you look at the ring you won't think about the price tag at all; you will just love it.

When is your bday? Or anniversary? If not too far off and the extra $$$ won't strap you, then I would get the ring you want now, and perhaps just the earrings or something smaller for the next gift, bday or anniversary.

dustgirl said:
When is your bday? Or anniversary? If not too far off and the extra $$$ won't strap you, then I would get the ring you want now, and perhaps just the earrings or something smaller for the next gift, bday or anniversary.

She said it could take awhile to get ring so if it came in for Valentines(though we usually don't do gifts, just dinner) I could feel like it was for 2 things. My big gift is usually anniversary, June, so it just feels wrong getting something at a time when we have so much money going out. This is not shared by DH, he says to just get what I really want, but then he never worries about things. That's my department! I just want to be happy when I see it. I love the necklace, now it even over shadows that. I have the necklace on today, got it as a wear whenever piece, the ring I would only wear for dress. So confused!!

You hinted for the earrings but received the a ring..but not the one you really want.
If I were you I would return the ring and get the earrings. While the SA is a friend, he or she will want for you to be happy, right? Then your husband can get the ring for your next anniversary. Especially since this is a ring for occasional/dress wear.

texasgirliegirl said:
You hinted for the earrings but received the a ring..but not the one you really want.
If I were you I would return the ring and get the earrings. While the SA is a friend, he or she will want for you to be happy, right? Then your husband can get the ring for your next anniversary. Especially since this is a ring for occasional/dress wear.

This is what I wanted to do, but DH says no. Wants store/friend(mine, not his) to have sale now.

This is what I wanted to do, but DH says no. Wants store/friend(mine, not his) to have sale now.

Oh my goodness...I am sorry to hear.
Have him return the rings you have for the ring that you want, then.
It has to be ordered, right? Your anniversary is in June so hopefully it will be in by then.
Also get the earrings....and do NOT feel guilty.:smile:

Oh my goodness...I am sorry to hear.
Have him return the rings you have for the ring that you want, then.
It has to be ordered, right? Your anniversary is in June so hopefully it will be in by then.
Also get the earrings....and do NOT feel guilty.:smile:

It's difficult to say when we shop elsewhere. Uncomfortable, even if the other store is Tiffany's.

Oh goodness...I honestly feel that you are worrying about that too much.
You should feel free to buy wherever you wish.
I understand loyalty but this is an expensive purchase, right?

texasgirliegirl said:
Oh goodness...I honestly feel that you are worrying about that too much.
You should feel free to buy wherever you wish.
I understand loyalty but this is an expensive purchase, right?

The ring would be expensive. The earrings would be the same as the original gift. I didn't realize till I wrote it yesterday, my feelings about the ring and it being special. I think that's part of my problem too. Believe it or not my husband had chosen and bought all my larger pieces of jewelry and only missed the mark once. Smaller pieces are more of a problem for him, maybe he doesn't put the same time in? He's telling me to just get the ring. I guess I can wear the necklace whenever I want and dress it up with ring. It's funny I'm stressing over this for a lot of reasons. I usually don't even like my jewelry to match. I guess I'm a little mad too that he didn't listen to my hints! I do love my necklace, at least that makes me happy!

Well, I can understand how you feel about wishing that your husband had picked up more on your hints.... Men are just not always great in this department.
Listen to him and just get the ring...the one you want and be done with it.
You can always get the earrings for your anniversary, then....
We always put so much worry and thought into such things...men typically don't. Just listen to him, get the ring and enjoy it. Everyone will be happy...including you :smile:

texasgirliegirl said:
Well, I can understand how you feel about wishing that your husband had picked up more on your hints.... Men are just not always great in this department.
Listen to him and just get the ring...the one you want and be done with it.
You can always get the earrings for your anniversary, then....
We always put so much worry and thought into such things...men typically don't. Just listen to him, get the ring and enjoy it. Everyone will be happy...including you :smile:

Thanks for your support, know I'm being silly. Will probably, definitely, fall in love when it comes in and not have a choice. I am definitely enjoying my necklace now. I will post pics when I am weak and get the ring!