What would you do?

denim53

O.G.
Apr 5, 2008
I won an auction for a Kate Spade tote yesterday. It was a no reserve auction with a BIN for $350. I got it for much less than the BIN and paid immediately. The seller sent me an e-mail stating that he was refunding my payment and would not sell the handbag for less than $350. I was quite disappointed. I checked my account and saw that the amount I paid him is now listed as "unclaimed funds." Should I contact Ebay to make sure that he doesn't later claim these funds? What would you do as far as leaving feedback for the seller? Thanks for your input.

I don't think "unclaimed funds" is the same as a payment being returned; I'd call PP to check.

You can also report him as being a non-performing seller + leave negative feedback. If he couldn't sell the bag for less than $350, he should have put a reserve up or just left it as a BIN.

What a crappy person.. there's been a lot of stories like that on the forum lately. Basically the only thing you can do is report him as NPS (I think if you get enough of these, then eBay punishes you in some way). If he asks you to cancel the transaction, then reject his request and he will be stuck paying FVFs also.

Junk seller. He should have set a reserve if he knew he wouldn't sell it for less.
I only know of unclaimed funds if the email they used for their paypal in the auction is old and doesn't work. It happened to me when I accidentally left my old email on an auction and had to add the old email to my paypal account so I could claim the amount.

1. DON'T request his request to cancel the transaction (as he more than likely will attempt to do)
2. Report him to E-bay as a non-performing seller as he is now breaking the legally binding contract between you both
3. Leave him VERY negative feedback

I'm sorry this has happened to you OP. I would leave a negative and refuse to cancel the transaction.

We're seeing a lot of this lately. I think it's high time ebay temporarily suspend sellers for say 3 months, if they reneigh on a transaction in this manner. It'll never happen though, because ebay is greedy.

If the funds are unclaimed, you can cancel the payment yourself through PayPal on your end.

Then just report the seller to eBay as a non-performing seller and leave them appropriate (i.e. negative) feedback.

Definitely report the seller. That's not how eBay works. If she doesn't want to sell the bag for less than $350, then she should use a reserve. But she doesn't want to pay eBay for the reserve...that's a scam.

I won an auction for a Kate Spade tote yesterday. It was a no reserve auction with a BIN for $350. I got it for much less than the BIN and paid immediately. The seller sent me an e-mail stating that he was refunding my payment and would not sell the handbag for less than $350. I was quite disappointed. I checked my account and saw that the amount I paid him is now listed as "unclaimed funds." Should I contact Ebay to make sure that he doesn't later claim these funds? What would you do as far as leaving feedback for the seller? Thanks for your input.

I've had it happen to be couple times. There is just nothing you can do. Other then, you can still leave a feedback. Sometimes it is just not worth them leaving you a nasty one back.

Just let it go, get your money back into your account. It is only a bag.

I got the money back into my account (as the above poster advised) and am moving on. This is a new seller who didn't know what he's doing. He's also a jerk who should know better than to keep calling me a "lowballer." Anyway, he's never going to get the $350 he wants--probably doesn't have the sense to check the completed listings for this bag, which is going for MUCH lower than the BIN he'll demand if he figures out how to re-list.

I've had it happen to be couple times. There is just nothing you can do. Other then, you can still leave a feedback. Sometimes it is just not worth them leaving you a nasty one back.

Just let it go, get your money back into your account. It is only a bag.

I would leave a negative, and this poster is wrong. They can't leave you a negative back. Leave him a negative so that other people know.

I got the money back into my account (as the above poster advised) and am moving on. This is a new seller who didn't know what he's doing. He's also a jerk who should know better than to keep calling me a "lowballer." Anyway, he's never going to get the $350 he wants--probably doesn't have the sense to check the completed listings for this bag, which is going for MUCH lower than the BIN he'll demand if he figures out how to re-list.

Maybe, maybe not. Chances are he knows what he's doing kuz he listed that bag, and when you list something eBay explains the various listing options. And even if he didn't, if you say nothing, do nothing, how is he to find out what he's doing?

Ditto- don't mutually cancel the transaction or he'll get all his FVFs back.
Leave negative feedback. He should have listed it higher or had a reserve.

1. DON'T request his request to cancel the transaction (as he more than likely will attempt to do)
2. Report him to E-bay as a non-performing seller as he is now breaking the legally binding contract between you both
3. Leave him VERY negative feedback