What would you do?

giagnm

O.G.
Feb 11, 2009
I won an auction yesterday for a bag I've been wanting forever. Today I get this message from the seller "You got a great deal, eBay didn't put the reserve in place on the listing, & I didn't catch there mistake. The reserve was set at $220. However I have a rating over 99% and I strive for 100% satisfaction.
Thanks for buying ! :smile:"

Now I'm not feeling so good about winning. As a seller, I can see where he is coming from but then I never use reserves (seem pointless to me) on my auctions, just BINs. I don't "need" the bag and thought about offering to mutually cancel the transaction but the seller has alreadly left positive feedback because I paid immediately. Is ebay supposed to set a seller's reserve? I just wonder why the seller did not cancel the listing when he saw the mistake, I know I would have.

Seller is just congratulating you and kicking his own arse. I do the same everytime I run 99 cent clearances, but I don't send that kind of message. Someone got a full price bag from me for $34 a few months ago. I paid over $200 for it.

It's the cost of doing business.

I agree with noshoepolish it is the cost of doing business. She probably thought she put in a reserve price, but did not fill out the form correctly. It happens. You lucked out. Congrats

Thanks everyone, I feel better about it now! Now I can do this:yahoo:!
Good luck that this is what you think it will be. (Sorry to be a pessimist, just of the paranoid mind that there is no free lunch -- ever:P) Please give us an update when it arrives.

Last edited:
Good luck that this is what you think it will be. (Sorry to be a pessimist, just of the paranoid mind that there is no free lunch -- ever:P) Please give us an update when it arrives.

Don't apologize for being a pessimist, I tend to be one also:smile:. I won the item for $194 (includes shipping) and I hate bidding. I'll let you all know how things turn out when I get it. I don't forsee any problems as this seller seems to be reputable based on his good feedback. Like everyone else said, he's probably kicking himself for letting the bag go for a little less than what he wanted. I know I would be.

Don't apologize for being a pessimist, I tend to be one also:smile:. I won the item for $194 (includes shipping) and I hate bidding. I'll let you all know how things turn out when I get it. I don't forsee any problems as this seller seems to be reputable based on his good feedback. Like everyone else said, he's probably kicking himself for letting the bag go for a little less than what he wanted. I know I would be.

i dont think its that much lower. i think the seller will be okay!:smile:

The seller could find a thousand ways to back out, but honoured the deal anyways. I think that is the honorable thing to do, and i would NOT hold that against the seller. ;)

Thanks, I do not hold anything against him. He is getting awesome feedback from me when I get the bag:smile:. I actually would not have minded if he wanted to back out either.