What would you do?

giagnm

O.G.
Feb 11, 2009
Bag Heaven
I won an auction yesterday for a bag I've been wanting forever. Today I get this message from the seller "You got a great deal, eBay didn't put the reserve in place on the listing, & I didn't catch there mistake. The reserve was set at $220. However I have a rating over 99% and I strive for 100% satisfaction.
Thanks for buying ! :smile:"

Now I'm not feeling so good about winning. As a seller, I can see where he is coming from but then I never use reserves (seem pointless to me) on my auctions, just BINs. I don't "need" the bag and thought about offering to mutually cancel the transaction but the seller has alreadly left positive feedback because I paid immediately. Is ebay supposed to set a seller's reserve? I just wonder why the seller did not cancel the listing when he saw the mistake, I know I would have.

Jan 18, 2006
Sounds like a wonderful seller! I'm sure there are some that would decide not to ship. Enjoy your bag!

noshoepolish

Labrador Lover
Authenticator
O.G.
Oct 4, 2006
Seller is just congratulating you and kicking his own arse. I do the same everytime I run 99 cent clearances, but I don't send that kind of message. Someone got a full price bag from me for $34 a few months ago. I paid over $200 for it.

It's the cost of doing business.

fashion_mom1

Apr 28, 2009
I agree with noshoepolish it is the cost of doing business. She probably thought she put in a reserve price, but did not fill out the form correctly. It happens. You lucked out. Congrats

mmmsc

O.G.
Feb 1, 2007
USA
Thanks everyone, I feel better about it now! Now I can do this:yahoo:!
Good luck that this is what you think it will be. (Sorry to be a pessimist, just of the paranoid mind that there is no free lunch -- ever:P) Please give us an update when it arrives.

Last edited:

giagnm

O.G.
Feb 11, 2009
Bag Heaven
Good luck that this is what you think it will be. (Sorry to be a pessimist, just of the paranoid mind that there is no free lunch -- ever:P) Please give us an update when it arrives.
Don't apologize for being a pessimist, I tend to be one also:smile:. I won the item for $194 (includes shipping) and I hate bidding. I'll let you all know how things turn out when I get it. I don't forsee any problems as this seller seems to be reputable based on his good feedback. Like everyone else said, he's probably kicking himself for letting the bag go for a little less than what he wanted. I know I would be.

bag-princess

Spoiled Princess
O.G.
Jun 17, 2007
South
It's the cost of doing business.

exactly!!! some days are better than others.
no need to feel bad about getting a good deal - or even thinking that something for much less than expected!

unluckystars

Dec 11, 2008
philly
Don't apologize for being a pessimist, I tend to be one also:smile:. I won the item for $194 (includes shipping) and I hate bidding. I'll let you all know how things turn out when I get it. I don't forsee any problems as this seller seems to be reputable based on his good feedback. Like everyone else said, he's probably kicking himself for letting the bag go for a little less than what he wanted. I know I would be.
i dont think its that much lower. i think the seller will be okay!:smile:

MOWCAM

O.G.
Nov 18, 2009
Norway
Agree with the others- congrats on finding a seller who is willing to send it to you anyway! Hope it is wonderful!

The seller could find a thousand ways to back out, but honoured the deal anyways. I think that is the honorable thing to do, and i would NOT hold that against the seller. ;)

giagnm

O.G.
Feb 11, 2009
Bag Heaven
The seller could find a thousand ways to back out, but honoured the deal anyways. I think that is the honorable thing to do, and i would NOT hold that against the seller. ;)
Thanks, I do not hold anything against him. He is getting awesome feedback from me when I get the bag:smile:. I actually would not have minded if he wanted to back out either.