What would you do?

I know I might get roasted for this but I'm of the school of thought that you should only buy what you love and what you will use a great deal but this is after years of doing exactly the opposite! I used to buy what made my heart leap without giving thought to cost-per-wear or life style. I wound up with bags that sat in the closet....beautiful to look at but that's just about it. Now I've found what works for me and have down-sized so that I get more than my money's worth on just about everything I own and everything I own I use.

So, given my own personal experience, I would recommend that you buy what makes your heart sing but that it must ALSO be put to good use....and often!

I totally agree !
And I have solved the dilemma by buying crocs(matte ones) AND using them everyday;)
To be honest it took me more than ten years to come to that reasonalble compromise.

So you have 1 workhorse B, you are going to get your beautiful SO... To me that would be on of my crown jewels in my collection just because it's an SO. I would probably get another workhorse with a normal leather.
I would prefer to be able to love and enjoy using my bags at the same time.

Thank you all. I've been thinking (and even doing a little buying) and I think I'll wait on the croc for now - a little delayed gratification is not a bad thing, no? I figure I can order a croc after my SO comes in, whenever that will be. In the meanwhile I can enjoy the little delights I'm picking up along the way.
Just today I got a lovely little package from Sam at Haute Gallery with my 25 cm black/silver crinoline Kelly. His pictures did not do her justice. She is gorgeous and oh-so-wearable. And yesterday brought my black Grand Apparat enamels. So pretty. My 4 year old is in love with those too.
Friday, if the weather is good, I'll be near the KOP store so I might pop in. If it's not so good, I might head in to NY - just to look at lovely things.

SpecialK12; I'm glad you made a decision for now; I was going to say; Take te croc! But I can see your perspective now; a croc-Birkin is something you really want to be ready for imo. Btw your SO sounds amazing. And in the meantime, you can do some nice shopping (like you have already done) hehe :graucho:, because you don't have to spend it on the croc.

Thanks tae. I'm thinking I can satiate my croc desires with something little and fabulous for the moment. Like your lovely purchase. I know it's alligator, but it's fab and not "out there" and youknow you have it and you love it. I think that something that's "just for me" but others can get a glimpse of , maybe could do it for the moment.

^^^^ Yes exactly! Although different; I'm in a bit of a similar situation; A few months ago I took the plunge and ordered my first (and probably only, ;)) crocodile Birkin (last october I received my first normal-leather birkin), because it's always been my dreambag. It seems like it will take quite a long time for it to arrive, though (in this particular store usually at least two years!):sad:, but I'm coming to terms with that by thinking that my bag will come some day, although it won't be in the near future. And like you said; it's nice to allready have that little piece of croc (well, gator) to remind me of that. And I too have been eyeing some other small things I probably wouldn't buy if the croc would arrive soon, so there's no hurry!