What would you do?

  1. Neiman Marcus Gift Card Event Earn up to a $500 gift card with regular-price purchase with code NMSHOP - Click or tap to check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  1. I need some inputs on this one ... I'm a bit torn about it personally and at this point, I am a bit desperate. And yeah, job-related again but it's a new thread since it's about a different concern/matter.

    As I've mentioned before, I've had couple of leads in the U.S.. The jobs in the U.S. is my Plan B, but even with Plan B I'd like it to be something that I want to do. In this case, it'll be getting a job as a financial analyst (consulting is STILL number 1) ... The problem right now is NONE of the leads have to do with consulting. Anyway, here is the situation.

    One of the leads has an interview pending next week. It's for a collateral analyst position at one of the big banks. HOWEVER, it is paid UNDER-MARKET although it does pay $3000 MORE than my last job. But wait, here's the catch!!! The recruiter said that I should look at this position as a "permanent long-term contracting position". Why? Because the money she quoted me was how much I would be making if I stay there a year.

    Essentially, it's a temp position that MAY last a long time and that there's a CHANCE that they may directly hire me in the future. The interview is next week but quite frankly, right now i'm not sure if I should do it. I do NOT want to be a temp, I NEED full-time permanent job because with my kind of luck, I tend to get sick when I don't have insurance ...

    The second lead is for a Senior Loan Coordinator position with yet another BIG bank (it's actually Sr. Underwriter). It pays 20K more than my last job and comes with commission and bonuses. Essentially, if I'm ambitious, I can make up to 150K a year. The problem is that I do NOT want to be an underwriter. I'd imagine it'll be difficult to try to go back to an analyst position in the future. Also, underwriting in that industry is not something tha'ts universally applicable. So if I get that job and take it, then it'll really be a paycheck and I will leave after getting my CFA/CIIA...

    Now, the problem here is I have NO other leads or interviews ... Like I said, ppl seem to assume that I have Accounting background when they see Financial Analyst and then they lose interest when they realize I'm not an accountant. In this case, should I still try for those two leads? The first leads is the one I have a lot of questions about because I really do NOT like to do Temp, and the way the recruiter said how I should look at it as a long-term Temp pseudo-full-time position is not reassuring at all.

    One last thing, she said for that interview, the managers will be sitting behind me looking over my shoulders while they tell me to do various Excel stuff. I don't know ... Just don't feel right for some reasons :shrugs:

    Anyways, if you were in my situation, what would you do? TIA:flowers:
  2. no for job nr 1 - bec it sounds like taking advantage of you.
    no 2, if it is yours, go for it, and get the accountancy background you need. just means to an end, and you can go for something you like afterwards - qualification just counts a lot in that area but I am sure you know that.
    good luck
  3. I think I would go in for both interviews, if only to feel them out. Just be very clear in each one what you are looking for. If you wouldn't be ok with temp, then let her know up front...you never know, they may be willing to negotiate. Just don't accept a job that you know you will be miserable in.
  4. Oh shoot, I KNOW I forgot something else for #1. Ok, as I mentioned before, #1 is a big Wall Street bank (actually, they're originally based out of country but their U.S. headquarter is on Wall Street). The position is a "long-term position" but they don't guarantee absolute hiring. Now, another issue that I'm concerned about is I'm actually thinking of submitting my resume STRAIGHT through the company's system (the current position was not done via company's career website, I was found by a recruiter via my careerbuilder resume).

    Here's the problem ... IF I go to the interview ... regardless of whether I get the offer or not, that would mean I have interviewed with the bank already and if I submit my CV through the bank's system and by some miracle they are interested in me for a position I actually wanted, then I'm going to have to explain to them WHY I didn't take the job (even if it's temp) or why I wasn't accepted ...

    I don't know if it's in my best interest to just not do #1 and try my luck at putting my resume through that company's system ... the problem with that is CV tends to get lost and it can be a year or more before I hear anything ...
  5. Thanks Lara.

    Number 2 is not accounting, it's underwriting. Problem is, I've done underwriting before and it was ... boring and sometimes more stressful than it was worth ... I'm concerned that it will also lock me in and prevent me from getting into an analyst position again, not to mention it's not internationally applicable ... so if I get an offer and end up taking that job, it'll be a paycheck and I may end up hating my job in the long-run ... but seeing I have no job offers at all right now, I'm going to give that a shot ...

    Seriously, if I can get a consulting position anywhere in the world, all my problems will be solved. My SO said he'll move back to the U.S. if I can get a job with a consulting company in the states. If the consulting job is in Singapore, then it's even better because then both of us will be happy. Not having a job in SG is why we're not married right now.
  6. good luck idk what to do..but I do understand my body understands no insurance= time to crap out and get :sick:
  7. ITA with AnimalCrackers. There is no harm in going in for both interviews. An interview is a vehicle for both parties to determine if it's the right mutual fit. Ask questions about the temp assignment - why is it temp, when does the company anticipate converting it to perm, etc. If you still decide it's not right for you, it's perfectly acceptable to pull your candidacy from consideration. And in the future, if another area of the company asks you about the other position, it is no big deal to say that you were seeking a permanent position. This is perfectly acceptable.

    Also, there are many internal doors an interviewer can open if he/she likes a candidate's skills, experiences, etc. A strong, successful interview with one area can open doors (internally) to other areas. I've known a lot of candidates who interviewed for one job in one department/functional area and gotten a job in another area, one that's maybe a better fit for his/her skills. The interviewer has acted as the candidate's "champion" internally.

    Plus, in your posts you mentioned being sad and depressed and sending out resumes all day...the interviews will not only break up your day but think of the networks and connections you could be making. You never know what might come if you get out there and interview in person.

    Also, I don't know if you've seen the stats on how people find their jobs...I saw one study once that indicated only 7% found them through blind resume submissions in response to a job ad or posting. I can't remember the stat off the top of my head but I do remember that the overwhelming majority found their current jobs through personal connections and networks.
  8. Thanks Redney. I'm going to give the interview a shot. I just spoke with the recruiter again and she said that while this is a long-term temp position, they do offer insurance (even though it's PPO) and the normal medical/dental benefits.

    Also, it's a good thing I called her up again and double-check, because I found out that she was asking for $3000 less than my last job. When I asked her why (I've specified I wanted the market range), she said that asking for below the market (which in this case would make it 18K below) will give me a better chance. I insisted that she put in the market range because I want to be upfront with the hiring party. I once again confirm with her about the possibility of direct hire, and she said there wasn't any available. I'm going to ask the interviewer (who is a manager) directly when I go in.

    I'm going to give the interview all I've got even if it's a backup choice (must always have a Plan B). I hope to have several offers in the U.S. pending before I go to Singapore so that I can have something to fall back on should Singapore not work out for me. Thanks again for the advice.:flowers:
  9. Well heck, yeah, a company would logically jump at the chance to hire someone willing to work for a few lousy peanuts, but in the words of my Mom, "You get what you pay for."

    Good golly, what kind of wacked out recruiter would advise that? :noggin:Has she not been in the biz for more than 2 freakin seconds to at least make an attempt to understand your skills/experience in the local market, understand what the company is willing to pay, understand what you are looking for and at least, at least, try to come to a mutually agreeable situation so that the position is filled with a qualifed employee with comp commensurate with his/her skills? :cursing: It's people like her who give the rest of us a lousy name. geez.:rant:

    OK, off my rant now.

    Heck, go in and impress the pants off the interviewer, especially if it's the hiring manager for the position. If the position is in his/her department anyway, s/he is accountable for the budget and will go head to head with the recruiter to ramp up comp if s/he wants you. Even if it doesn't work out from a comp or perm position perspective for you, at least you'll have a foot in the door to that company for potentially something else AND it could cause the hiring manager to start asking the recruiter - "why can't we fill this position? Do we need to increase the comp to make sure we get a good person to fill it?" Maybe then the stupid recruiter will get it through her thick skull...ya get what ya pay for. :p

    Good luck kou!
  10. Redney, thanks for the support!:flowers: I am sure that most recruiters are not like the ones I've dealt with. But it appears that she was quoting the salary on the very low end because most people she recruited were people with no experience. I reiterated to her again today that I was looking for market rate.

    So, I went to the interview today, I was there for 3 hours and 40 minutes. The problem is ... I bombed the interview.:push: I mean, I majorly bombed it. The test they gave me wasn't even an excel test, it was a test about a subject that I have absolutely no idea about ... They must think I'm either stupid or lying. The problem is, what they tested me on was something I have never done or learned in my previous jobs ... This was not what the recruiter had told me.

    After the test, I ended up interviewing with 5 people instead of just 1. The first two appeared semi-interested, the third and fourth one seemed okay, the last one acted as though she wanted to get rid of me so that she could go have her lunch. I really tried to explain and clarify everything, but they (especially the last one, who was a team lead) seemed to be disappointed that I didn't want to be a temp.

    Another thing that alarmed me was that one of the interviewers told me that someone else from my last job had also come in for an interview yesterday. They gave me that person's name (I don't think they were supposed to do that) and I immediately recognized that person as the snitch. This is the guy who always tried to get me into trouble with my boss ... That really worried me ...

    Nonetheless, it would still be good to get an offer from this company though. It might not be what I wanted to do, but at least it would be an offer from one of the top 10 banks in the world. So, even though this was a Plan B, I still feel rather depressed that I bombed it ... I have two weeks until Singapore ... I feel like I'm out of time