What would you do?

Gimmethebag

Gimme Gimme Gimme
O.G.
Dec 2, 2008
So a while back, I found a loose stone on the ground and since it didn't look like plastic I picked it up. I took it with me intending to take it to the neighborhood jeweler to check for an inscription. Then like an idiot, I lost it in my home.

A couple of days ago, my cleaning person found it in a vacuum. It was still intact. Still brilliant... so I put it in a glass of water, and it sank. I ran it over a printed letter, and couldn't read the words. So, then I made it a priority that afternoon to take it to the jeweler to check for a serial number. My plan was to file a police report with the serial number.

Y'all. The jeweler looked at it under a loupe and couldn't find a serial number to track the owner by. For a good 30-minutes, the jeweler thought I found a 3.68 ct D color diamond. The cut is too good for your run-of-the-mill CZ (including a polished girdle) and the light reflects like a diamond. She guesses it may be a Diamond Nexus stone, but whatever it is, it's a super simulant. It didn't pass a scratch test, so she could rule out moissanite and lab-created diamond.

I went home and I looked it up and similar simulants can be purchased for around $1600. Much more affordable than a $40K rock, but at $1600, it's stupid to just throw this stone away.

What would you do with it?

• Love
Reactions: 880
Your jeweler should be able to suggest some mounts for your stone. As far as the price is concerned, that depends entirely on the metal you chose and whether you go for a simple mount or for a semi-mount - this again depends on your taste and pocketbook and of course on where you live. In either case, ask your jeweler and then ask a couple more, just to get a good idea.
p.s. Price will also depend on whether you choose a pre-made mount or whether you want a custom mount.

Your jeweler should be able to suggest some mounts for your stone. As far as the price is concerned, that depends entirely on the metal you chose and whether you go for a simple mount or for a semi-mount - this again depends on your taste and pocketbook and of course on where you live. In either case, ask your jeweler and then ask a couple more, just to get a good idea.
p.s. Price will also depend on whether you choose a pre-made mount or whether you want a custom mount.

I definitely would want real gold (so about $500 for an e-ring looking basic setting online), but I would like to see others' opinions on what direction they would go. I want to have a clear idea of what I want to ask for. I recently brought in a modest jade stone to this jeweler and inquired about a dainty diamond setting for it and she quoted me $2-3K, which seemed high so I plan on getting other estimates elsewhere before committing.

Seems like attempting to find the rightful owner would be the first thing. Just because it’s not inscribed doesn’t mean someone didn’t file a police report. It could be very sentimental to someone. Especially since at that size and that supposed quality, it’s quite possibly an older stone (nearly all newer diamonds of that size and quality would be inscribed). If that fails, unless you want to use it as an upgraded or back up e-ring, maybe sell it? At that size and quality, I’d find it overpowering to a 2ctw e-ring as a cocktail or pendant (except for the occasional event) regardless of how it’s set. But if you decide to keep it, I agree that you should check with other jewelers for setting it. That quote seems high. GL! And definitely post pics!

I definitely would want real gold (so about $500 for an e-ring looking basic setting online), but I would like to see others' opinions on what direction they would go. I want to have a clear idea of what I want to ask for. I recently brought in a modest jade stone to this jeweler and inquired about a dainty diamond setting for it and she quoted me $2-3K, which seemed high so I plan on getting other estimates elsewhere before committing.
Ahh then there is 14k and 18k and maybe platinum. Even if you want good diamonds, i.e. clarity and color and of a decent size as side stones, then $2-3k seems high, given that you supply the center stone. If the diamonds are of the nail file size, the that price is outrages imo. In my personal experience, I paid way more for some side diamonds purchased from the jeweler who set one of my stones, than they are worth. They are ok side stones, but I could have gotten better quality at a lower price had I purchased them say from Nile or another diamond company and given them to the jeweler to set. And to make matters worse for us jewelry lovers, the price of diamonds of all ilk have been rising steeply over the last 3-4 month.

Seems like attempting to find the rightful owner would be the first thing. Just because it’s not inscribed doesn’t mean someone didn’t file a police report. It could be very sentimental to someone. Especially since at that size and that supposed quality, it’s quite possibly an older stone (nearly all newer diamonds of that size and quality would be inscribed). If that fails, unless you want to use it as an upgraded or back up e-ring, maybe sell it? At that size and quality, I’d find it overpowering to a 2ctw e-ring as a cocktail or pendant (except for the occasional event) regardless of how it’s set. But if you decide to keep it, I agree that you should check with other jewelers for setting it. That quote seems high. GL! And definitely post pics!
I was under the impression that this stone was a simulant ??? As far as the size is concerned, I agree with you this stone at 3.58 ct. is really large for a ringstone, but might make a lovely pendant in a simply basket-type setting. It all depends on your personal taste. I always felt that side stones should enhance, not overpower a lovely center stone :smile:.

Yeah, the stone is a good simulant. I can call the police station on Monday but I don’t think anyone filed a police report over a CZ, even if it’s a nice one. No one on our local FB pages or classifieds posted it missing.

About the jade ring, I also thought that quote was super high. I like this jeweler but I think for the prices she wants to charge, I would rather have designer signed jewelry.