What would you do to refresh the MMK bags?

melissatrv

O.G.
Feb 8, 2009
NC
I keep checking out MK hoping to see something that will catch my eye, but it is more of the same old, same old. I have noticed too many signature bags. And always the same static color palette. This brand is in desperate need of a refresh. What are some of your suggestions if you could make this happen?

Dec 10, 2014
1. Stop using MKC logo plates on the new line of Michael Kors Collection
2. Refresh the retail layout and white/silver disco theme
3. Include more collection bags in the retail boutiques displays outside of NYC
4. Use mannequins to display the brand's current season fashion pieces that should sell well
5. Use the logo monogram sparingly or in "fresher" ways--debossing or embossing.
6. Try more muted, mature colors (i.e., chocolate brown, deep gray, etc.) and styles. Move away from eccentric and loud studs or locks.
7. Stop relying on the Saffiano leather treatment and start doing more smooth or pebbled leather for the MMK line, too.
8. Make the logos smaller and less noticeable.

Then again, MMK bags are still relatively popular in their current designs. So what do I know?
Personal opinion: I think if the brand is not careful, MMK will end up being another Calvin Klein or Lauren by Ralph Lauren line sold in bulk at the department store or outlet retailers (i.e., TJ Maxx) clearance bins en masse. That is certainly a way to make money, but fashion-wise, it's very risky of course. But I do not see any of those brands having runway shows. After that, it's having to come up with another brand name and image altogether. That could be exciting for Michael Kors, or it could be an annoyance and he just wishes to sell it all away and retire.

Reactions: OJane

ccbaggirl89

Mar 26, 2015
The only MK bags I truly like are the pebbled leathers - I find the saffiano bags too heavy. I'd like to see more pebbled/smooth leathers and perhaps the saffiano phased out. I pass up a lot of items because they look too boxy or stiff. And some lines seem to never go away, like Jet Set - maybe retire some styles. I have a few of the newer bags with smaller MK charms and circular small logos, they look better, so more of those, too.

Reactions: donutsprinkles
Dec 10, 2014
The only MK bags I truly like are the pebbled leathers - I find the saffiano bags too heavy. I'd like to see more pebbled/smooth leathers and perhaps the saffiano phased out. I pass up a lot of items because they look too boxy or stiff. And some lines seem to never go away, like Jet Set - maybe retire some styles. I have a few of the newer bags with smaller MK charms and circular small logos, they look better, so more of those, too.
I agree re: retire some styles & smaller logos.
I think that they need to retire the Hamilton. I really dislike the Nouveau Hamilton, it looks too gimmicky. I do not think it will age well because all of the Nouveau Hamiltons have such loud, shiny hardware and colorways. I still remember the first thing my mother said when she saw the Michael Kors Dillon bag I'd gotten: "Why is it so stiff looking?"