What would you do in this situation? Neo Classic XS

Hey there,

I posted a few months back in the summer asking for opinions on which bag to get while I was in Paris, the LV Alma BB in black epi OR the Balenciaga Neo Classic XS in black. I ended up taking the Alma BB home with me. I still loved the edgy look of Balenciaga but wasn't really considering getting here in the US after having passed up the euro pricing and VAT.

Fast forward to last night, my husband and I were perusing handbags in Nordstrom when we spotted the neo classic xs in petrol blue in the "clearance/sale" table. My jaw absolutely dropped that it was even there in the first place as it didn't seem like an unpopular color. Didn't expect too steep of a discount off the $1950 price tag but was priced at $877.50.... (see pics linked below)

I picked it up so that I could have some time to mull it over and seek your opinions. I certainly did not expect to add another bag to my collection and this was not a first choice color for me (I lean towards neutrals like tan/taupe/grey/black). This would be an "adventurous" color for me. What would you do in this situation, keep or not keep? - also with consideration of the recent PR the brand has received. TIA!

Pic 1
Pic 2

Reactions: LucilleMika
Hey there,

I posted a few months back in the summer asking for opinions on which bag to get while I was in Paris, the LV Alma BB in black epi OR the Balenciaga Neo Classic XS in black. I ended up taking the Alma BB home with me. I still loved the edgy look of Balenciaga but wasn't really considering getting here in the US after having passed up the euro pricing and VAT.

Fast forward to last night, my husband and I were perusing handbags in Nordstrom when we spotted the neo classic xs in petrol blue in the "clearance/sale" table. My jaw absolutely dropped that it was even there in the first place as it didn't seem like an unpopular color. Didn't expect too steep of a discount off the $1950 price tag but was priced at $877.50.... (see pics linked below)

I picked it up so that I could have some time to mull it over and seek your opinions. I certainly did not expect to add another bag to my collection and this was not a first choice color for me (I lean towards neutrals like tan/taupe/grey/black). This would be an "adventurous" color for me. What would you do in this situation, keep or not keep? - also with consideration of the recent PR the brand has received. TIA!

Pic 1
Pic 2
If this isn’t a color choice for you, I’d return it. It doesn’t sound like you’re 100% into it.

I think it’s going to take awhile for the brand the bounce back from this scandal (they still haven’t admitted their mistake or take accountability for their actions). You can save your $ and spend it on a bag/color that you truly desire and have a better ROI in the long run.

I would keep it, considering the price and it is a neutral colour to me, easy to match with any outfit. But then if you really didn’t like it then probably return it and wait?

Do you wear jeans and don't think twice about them as a color on you? If you're already comfortable with blue, I'd say keep it. As @Conni618 says it's really a neutral itself, because some shades function that way, just as jeans do. It's a gorgeous little bag at an incredible deal, so if there's a way to love it, you just might have fun with something different!

I love Bal Blues and this one is no exception. To me most are a neutral and I wear mine all the time.
But if you don't think you'll use it often, then even at that price it's not a bargain.

I’m not that into blue so take this with even less than a grain of salt. But when I look at this on screen it looks kind of dull. To me if you’re going to get a color it should have some depth and vibrancy. There are Bal blues that I do love but not this one. It looks drab to me.
It could be how it’s looking on screen.

Also, it’s almost 1,000.00. That’s still a lot for a bag you’re not really loving.

Last edited:
If you love the bag and wanted to purchase it previously don’t let the color on such a cute bag hold you up. Colored bags are more useful than you think and this one is still dark enough you don’t have to worry so much about color transfer. Sounds like you found a great buy!

Hey there,

Pic 1
Pic 2
Did you keep it? Blue is my go to color for handbags and that price cant be beat. Then of course the scandal. I purchased the mini city full price at Balenciaga 6 months before the scandal. I was pissed. I still have it but not really sure what to do with it. I was hoping Fashionphile would buy it from me for a decent price but I doubt that will happen. I haven't inquired yet. Hope you've been enjoying your Alma BB.

Hey there,

Pic 1
Pic 2
Congratulations on finding a bag that you love at a great price! It's always exciting to come across a unexpected deal like this.

When deciding whether to keep the Balenciaga Neo Classic XS in petrol blue, it's important to consider your personal preferences and style. You mentioned that you tend to gravitate towards neutral colors, so the petrol blue may be a departure from your usual choices. However, adding a pop of color to your collection can be a great way to experiment with different looks and styles.

It's also worth considering the recent controversy surrounding Balenciaga and its use of animals in its products. If you're concerned about this issue, you may want to do some research to determine whether the company's practices align with your values.

Ultimately, the decision to keep the bag comes down to whether you love it and will use it. If you're not sure about the color or whether it will fit with your wardrobe, it may be best to pass on the deal. However, if you're excited about the bag and can see yourself carrying it regularly, then it may be worth adding to your collection.

It's also worth considering the recent controversy surrounding Balenciaga and its use of animals in its products. If you're concerned about this issue, you may want to do some research to determine whether the company's practices align with your values.
Balenciaga uses animals in its products?