What would you do if this happened to you? Purchase from Luxury handbag website

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hi, I didn't know where else to put this. Sorry it's so long, but I need advice!

I recently bought a bag off of a MAJOR fashion house's website. I am not going to say which one because I don't want to jeopardize anything regarding this bag. This is one of the big, very reputable fashion houses, along the same lines as Chanel, Louis Vuitton, or Gucci.

Anyway, the bag is white patent leather. I ordered it on sale, for about 55% off of retail. I thought I was exceptionally lucky to be buying this bag for that price, considering it's a very popular style. The transaction went through without a hitch, and I soon received my shipping confirmation.

The next day, I went to check the status of my order and happened to look at the bag again online, to see more detail. The price had been changed to only about 40% off, which I found strange (I just checked it and the price is back to the price I paid).

I received the bag today. I opened the box and pulled out the dustbag and bag. I noticed there were little bluish spots on the tops of the handles, even before I took it out of the dustbag. There is also a brown spot that looks like dirt (but won't rub off). The handles are stained that way-- it's penetrated the leather and I believe it will be impossible to clean.

After further inspection of the bag, I noticed all sorts of flaws. There was more of the bluish/black smudging on the front of the bag, as well as many many spots of brown (both inside and outside). Around the zippers there is yellow glue residue showing, and even part of the leather is discolored on the hang tag.

This bag looks like it was worn, heavily, and then returned and sold to me. The bluish black spots look like denim dye.

I am so mad, and I have no clue what to do. I left a message with their customer service line (of course, no live person to answer the phone). I haven't removed the hang tag or anything off the bag.

I feel so ripped off, like they knew what they were doing when they sold the bag to me. This thing doesn't even look like it's worth $100. To be honest, it looks like a knockoff-- which is ridiculous. If a major fashion house's products look like crap, how can anyone be proud to carry it?

How should I deal with this when (and if) they call me back? I have no idea how to clean this bag or even if it's worth cleaning. If someone could tell me what to say to them so that I can have the upper hand, I would appreciate it. I would even accept a partial credit, and keep the bag, if I knew they would do such a thing... and if I knew I could clean it.

Thanks so much!

2. #2 Jan 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
    how come you don't want to say where you purchased this bag? the more info we have the better we can help you...

there are tons and tons of threads about the cleaning and care for specific bags...have you tried to look in those particular forums for help in cleaning the bag?

also, was the purchase a final sale? if you are so disappointed just return it a get a refund...i know i could never be happy if i purchased a bag in that condition. don't be swayed by the price; get a refund and save up for a brand new or gently used one.

3. I would send it back for a full refund! Sale or not, you did not agree to purchase a used and dirty bag. You were buying a supposed brand new bag, as advertised which was not what you received.

4. If it was a reputable website they should refund your money regardless of what you paid for it, even if it was a final sale. It is not in the condition that they alluded to, correct?

5. I would just return and get a refund

6. I would call customer service again and explain the situation and basically demand a refund (but be polite). Also, send an e-mail to customer service regarding the situation. Before you send the purse back, take pictures of the bag at all angles, including the signature of when it was delivered or save the courier slip. I would only wait about a day before you actually do send it back. If they do not honor your request, I would consider it a disrespect to you as a loyal customer. And you do have the right to complain and even write a review about how poorly they handled your situation (of course, only if they refuse to accept responsibility and give you a refund).

7. REFUND! That's ridiculous.

8. I would just say the name, it helps the rest of us know who your dealing with and/or how to fix the bag if need be. I would just return it and look elsewhere though.

9. Just return it. What is name of store?

10. Just return and exchange or get a refund. You haven't used it so it won't be a problem.

11. Absolutely return it! There's no excuse for that. Did you pay with a credit card? If you don't hear back from the company, you could do a charge back. Keep bugging them first, though.

12. *shakes head* That's outrageous. Absolutely return it.

13. That's very disappointing. Try your hardest to get your money back but tell them that you don't want the bag!

14. get a refund

15. Return it immediately for a full refund! Even if it was purchased as a "final sale!" Its obviously used since there is denim transfer, and stains on the handles. SMH, shame on them!!