What Would You do?? Help!

purseinsanity

I can't stoaaaaahp!!
O.G.
Apr 10, 2007
So I have the opportunity to buy a 40cm clemence Birkin. I have looked at tons of pictures to get an idea of how it would look on me. I need personal opinions though: What would YOU do? Would you buy it or pass? Too big? Too heavy? I'm 5'4". I did a search, but didn't come up with exactly what I'm asking. I use big bags, but I don't want to look dwarfed. Any help is appreciated.

What color is it?? Cause with your new Etoupe from last week, if it were a really cool bright color, and the price was right, and I thought I could afford it, and I HAD to have it, I'd probably just buy the darn thing and not care about the size :amuse:

I'm 5'4, 35cm looks pretty big on me, never tried 40 and not even considering, but I prefer smaller bags in general.
Would be better if you can try it first, JMO.

What color is it?? Cause with your new Etoupe from last week, if it were a really cool bright color, and the price was right, and I thought I could afford it, and I HAD to have it, I'd probably just buy the darn thing and not care about the size :amuse:
It's blue jean....I don't HAVE to have it, LOL. I've been searching for a 35cm BJ togo, but this popped up.

I'm 5.6 and think that a 40 looks like I am carrying the kitchen sink (so I would pass) but I think you should try it on an see what you think. I personally also think that it will be quite heavy and would pass for that reason as well. Would go for a 35 or even a 30 instead.

I'm 5'5" and size US size 4/6 eventually I'll try to get a 40 because I will not be looking for a lady like purse and more a carry-all bag. An HAC of that size WOULD look too big even for me but Birkin no.

IMO I can get away more with 40cm and larger bags when I keep clothes close to the body.

I borrow a Kelly 32? on special occasions but that's for the look rather function.

I think the 35 is a perfect balance beween elegance and practicality.

I would say to try it out before you get it. You'll know if it works or not. Sometimes it makes a difference in your decision when you consider the use for it. Just from my experience, upon trying it out in the boutique, (of course I'm much shorter than you) I've decided that a 35 will only work for me as a tote and not much of a handbag. As much as I love the roomy interior of it, I couldn't bring myself to get a 35 as a handbag. However, it's on my list as a workbag though. Another thing to take into consideration is that if you prefer structure bag or floppy bc Clemence on a 40 will definitely flop. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
I'm 5.6 and think that a 40 looks like I am carrying the kitchen sink (so I would pass) but I think you should try it on an see what you think. I personally also think that it will be quite heavy and would pass for that reason as well. Would go for a 35 or even a 30 instead.

That's what I was afraid of...looking like I'm carrying around the kitchen sick.

I'm 5'7 and have tried Classic Twist's etoupe 40 and it looks fine on me but then I'm still 3 inches taller than you. A 40 in blue jean is one big bright blue bag. The thing with the 40 is that not only is it wider it's all the proportions are larger