What Would You Do? Cancer

An update on "Ubi" (OOH-bee). He is feeling GREAT! He had so far 4 or 5 I can't remember, chemo treatments, and had hardly any reaction - maybe a little tired about 3 days after. He is eating very well, not drinking as lot of water (bad side effect of the cancer) bossing the other dogs around (he is the pack leader - what in the world is going to happen when he is gone? I dread it in more than one way. There is no qualified dog IMO. We shall see. Hope no fights.

I am nervous because tomorrow he has an ultrasound to see if the tumor has shrunk. I guess realistically, it doesn't matter, what matters is he feels good; but I would be so happy if it had shrunk. Maybe give us more time together.

He also starts the second round of chemo, a repetition of the different drugs he had the first round (a different drug each week). Wish us luck. I am so glad he is 'all that' again in his own mind:smile:

Wow I just checked in to see if there were any updates, OK, we are crossing our fingers and paws over here!!
Please please post as soon as you can tomorrow!

Millie had her check up today and she remains cancer free, so she especially is sending good doggie vibes!

An update on "Ubi" (OOH-bee). He is feeling GREAT! He had so far 4 or 5 I can't remember, chemo treatments, and had hardly any reaction - maybe a little tired about 3 days after. He is eating very well, not drinking as lot of water (bad side effect of the cancer) bossing the other dogs around (he is the pack leader - what in the world is going to happen when he is gone? I dread it in more than one way. There is no qualified dog IMO. We shall see. Hope no fights.

I am nervous because tomorrow he has an ultrasound to see if the tumor has shrunk. I guess realistically, it doesn't matter, what matters is he feels good; but I would be so happy if it had shrunk. Maybe give us more time together.

He also starts the second round of chemo, a repetition of the different drugs he had the first round (a different drug each week). Wish us luck. I am so glad he is 'all that' again in his own mind:smile:

Great update. I didn't read beyond your first post and this one. Just wanted to say.... been there, done that. Glad you are seeing good results from the treatment. Our experience did not go as well but we have no regrets on going thru the treatments with our 7 yr old Boxer. Hope the ultrasound results are favorable for your pup. :smile:

See if he will eat ice chips to supplement his water intake or wet his food nice and sloppy. Just make sure he keeps eating, cause that was part of the issue that caused serious problems in our case.

What breed is Ubi?

Last edited:
Great update. I didn't read beyond your first post and this one. Just wanted to say.... been there, done that. Glad you are seeing good results from the treatment. Our experience did not go as well but we have no regrets on going thru the treatments with our 7 yr old Boxer. Hope the ultrasound results are favorable for your pup. :smile:

See if he will eat ice chips to supplement his water intake or wet his food nice and sloppy. Just make sure he keeps eating, cause that was part of the issue that caused serious problems in our case.

What breed is Ubi?

Well the ultrasound showed no sign of the tumor - so he is in remission. :smile:

The bad news is, with this type of cancer, the tumor always comes back, I am just buying time for us to be together. Since his quality of life is still good, I will keep up the treatment unless and until his quality of life declines.

He is eating and drinking really well so far, I am pleased - jumping on me for his food! But today we had another chemo, so I hope it affects him no more than any of the others, which was very minimal. I do worry about keeping him eating. He is naturally a VERY thin breed, with no spare weight to lose.

Unfortunately I seem to have a little 'bug' going through some of the other dogs, a few days of vomiting or diarrhea; if he gets this I won't know if it the chemo or the bug, so I will immediately take him to the clinic and park him there for fluids, etc.

The breed is an Azawakh, a greyhound-type dog from Africa. If you google you can find lots of pictures.

There is one on my lap in my avatar but you can't really tell what she looks like.

Thanks everyone for the well-wishes. I wish it could last forever though :sad:

I had an 18yo golden retriever diagnosed with metastatic melanoma. A very aggressive skin cancer. The vet told us you can remove one tumor and another will grow somewhere else. It was unstoppable and scary. Because of her age and cancer type we elected to keep her until she told us it was time to let her go. That day did come and we listened.

But my answer to your question is, I would not put an elderly dog with an aggressive form of cancer through chemo. I would keep them comfortable and happy until they told me they're ready to go to the bridge. But that's just my opinion from personal experience.

I had an 18yo golden retriever diagnosed with metastatic melanoma. A very aggressive skin cancer. The vet told us you can remove one tumor and another will grow somewhere else. It was unstoppable and scary. Because of her age and cancer type we elected to keep her until she told us it was time to let her go. That day did come and we listened.

But my answer to your question is, I would not put an elderly dog with an aggressive form of cancer through chemo. I would keep them comfortable and happy until they told me they're ready to go to the bridge. But that's just my opinion from personal experience.

-I am so sorry for the loss of your dog...but what a grand old age to live to

I agree, I would not put an old dog through heroic measures. Ubi is only 7.5 years old though, and the breed has a lifespan of 12-15 years - Life is just not fair over here in my household.

-I am so sorry for the loss of your dog...but what a grand old age to live to

I agree, I would not put an old dog through heroic measures. Ubi is only 7.5 years old though, and the breed has a lifespan of 12-15 years - Life is just not fair over here in my household.

Sorry, I misread your original post. For some reason I thought you were talking about an older dog.