What Would You Do? Cancer

Chessmont, I'm so sorry about your doggie. I would be doing the same thing you are doing. I could not give up without at least giving the chemo a try. You just need to have faith and know that you are giving your dog as much life as possible, and that you will know when treatment or chemo is no longer the best option for him. It is such a very delicate balance - but you know him better than anyone, so in a lot of ways this is the right time to let your heart be your guide. :hugs:

I am crazy and am going to spend the money. I need him with me for as long as possible I just need him. Until he is suffering, of course, I am not that selfish.

I'm so sorry that you and your dog are going through this Chessmont! :heart: I've been there a couple of times and I know exactly what you're feeling. The little guy in my avatar had a near-fatal drug reaction when he was about 12 years old, and I ended up spending about $2K-$3K (I just handed over my credit card and never looked at the bills) in emergency vet and vet school ICU bills. I kept telling myself o.k., if he lives another couple months I'll be thrilled and will consider the money well-spent and I won't look back. He ended up living another year and it was a great year.

Sometimes when it comes to those you love you just don't think about money. I never told DH how much I spent, I just paid it off. A few years back he had a very special dog who developed cancer. I told him "Honey, don't ask about the bills, don't think about it. Just do what you have to do for your dog and I'll pay for everything." So that's kind of how we work these things.

What is happiness with your dog worth? It's priceless really, even if it's just for a few weeks or months. This is what money's for.

Wishing you and your dog much love in the weeks ahead!

I'm so sorry you've had to experience this situation Chessmont! I hope you get to spend as much time as possible with your precious :hugs: And hopefully a miracle will happen!

I've discussed this extensively with my family, we have two dogs, one whose breed is prone to bone cancer. I personally would not put my dog through chemo, my grandparents did to their dog and I felt it wasn't right, it didn't extend their dog's life and she was so unhappy the entire time. If either of my dogs were diagnosed I'd look at the type- if it were essentially a death sentence than I would only take palliative measures.

Our cat last year was diagnosed with a brain tumour and in Dec we made the decision to put him down. He was at the stage where his behaviour was so aggressive and erratic that he was a danger to be around (he leapt on my dad's face and it's left him with facial scars). There was no treatment possible other than phenobarbitone (sp) and that was not a cure (no surgery as his tumour was attached to the very top of his brain stem, impossible to get at). It was unfair for me to keep him around because I couldn't bear the thought of losing him (I wish I had put him down earlier as seeing him fall over as he lost control over his back legs broke my heart). With my pets if one of them is ill money is never even considered, we do all we can to help them get better, however we're also realistic.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry for you and your dog. I have really no idea what I would do. But I think that I would want to have the dog with me as long as possible for the dog.

We had 1 cat and she had a swelling in her jaw which was going up to her brain. We tried everything possible to save her but in the end she didn't moved anymore then neccesary and she even coulnd't eat liquid food. Then we called the vet to give her up cause we new she was having pain.
For me our cats are family and I would at least try everything possible to have them longer with me as long is possible.

Wishing you all the best in this hard time.

Hi, I'm so sorry, I know how sad you feel. I am crying right now and have been most of the day. My beautiful long haired german shepherd has tumors and masses, and the vet says it looks bad. I don't know what to do about chemo, etc. either, I have a few days to think. She is only 5, and the sweetest best girl ever. Before my dogs all got ill when they were old. This is a heartache, I am trying to figure this out too. I know I don't want her to suffer, if treatment only extends her time, I don't think I can put her through it.

Hi, I'm so sorry, I know how sad you feel. I am crying right now and have been most of the day. My beautiful long haired german shepherd has tumors and masses, and the vet says it looks bad. I don't know what to do about chemo, etc. either, I have a few days to think. She is only 5, and the sweetest best girl ever. Before my dogs all got ill when they were old. This is a heartache, I am trying to figure this out too. I know I don't want her to suffer, if treatment only extends her time, I don't think I can put her through it.

Oh, MArie Lee, many {{{{hugs}}}} and prayers to you and your pup! I know how you feel. It hurts more when they are not old...

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of cancer is it (since chemo is an option. I am just curious)

Many dogs do very well with chemo, it isnt like with humans. You can take it a week at a time and see how she does. You don;t have to let her suffer, you'll know if she is, and then you can stop.

We went thru this with one of our Boxers, Heidi. She had lymphoma. We did chemo weekly and monitored her side effects--some weeks were worse than others, Overall her quality of life was good, tho. She was in remission for a few months when it came back. They said the protocol was to do a surgery, then chemo again. Previously the surgery hurt her a great deal and they said even if the 2nd round of chemo worked she prob. only had 3-4 extra months. We didn't think we should put her thru any more distress and her quality of life had declined (not eating, sad). She lasted one more month. Looking back I feel we handled it as well as possible.

Monitor your dog's well-being for side-effects and the general quality of life. The hardest part is to consider what is best for your beloved companion when we really do not want to let them go. Helping them to a painless end is a loving, unselfish gift to them.

Hugs and best wishes for a miracle.

Thank you for your support. It does help. It is rectal, and my husband and I went through a hard time with another dog, trying to save him, and he suffered, and no results, so we are scared that way. We talk to the vet Wed. I will ask him about the chemo. How are you guys doing?? It helps to read these. Right now she seems great, you wouldn't know.

We went thru this with one of our Boxers, Heidi. She had lymphoma. We did chemo weekly and monitored her side effects--some weeks were worse than others, Overall her quality of life was good, tho. She was in remission for a few months when it came back. They said the protocol was to do a surgery, then chemo again. Previously the surgery hurt her a great deal and they said even if the 2nd round of chemo worked she prob. only had 3-4 extra months. We didn't think we should put her thru any more distress and her quality of life had declined (not eating, sad). She lasted one more month. Looking back I feel we handled it as well as possible.

Monitor your dog's well-being for side-effects and the general quality of life. The hardest part is to consider what is best for your beloved companion when we really do not want to let them go. Helping them to a painless end is a loving, unselfish gift to them.

Hugs and best wishes for a miracle.

Thank you for your well-wishes and wise words.

Thank you for your support. It does help. It is rectal, and my husband and I went through a hard time with another dog, trying to save him, and he suffered, and no results, so we are scared that way. We talk to the vet Wed. I will ask him about the chemo. How are you guys doing?? It helps to read these. Right now she seems great, you wouldn't know.

I know, it's hard when they look fine but something is very wrong.

He is not doing so well the last few days, the chemo is working great, but a different vet put him on an antibiotic "just in case" because his white blood cell count was low (could lead to an infection, but he didn't have one yet). His appetite plummeted. I got him to eat 5 large dog biscuits today and that makes me ecstatic. He is off that antibiotic as of today and I hope his appetite comes back. He was eating great before that. But if his appetite does not come back, I'll have to let him go. He'll be a walking skeleton I can't let that happen. Here is his breed to Google and you can see how thin they are naturally, no extra weight to lose... Google "azawakh"

I am hoping you get some encouraging news on Wednesday.

When I get off, I'm looking into the pix, a azawakh?? I thought I knew dogs, never heard, can't wait to check out. I agree about the too thin scarey look, it just throws the illness at you whenever you look at them. I have always had dogs, and never one like her, the tempermant is perfect, docile, sweet, fun loving, silly everything perfect. Sad. We need to let them go when it's time, I know that too, it's never easy. Have you tried hard eggs, cottage cheese? even peanut butter bread?

I just put her pic on my avatar, I hope I don't feel sad now onTPF when I'm trying to distract myself! So do you have more than one azawakh? A very fast and regal looking breed, I checked them out.