What would you do after trying TOO many acne products?! What else is left?

I've used Murad for my mild acne and it does produce results. Their product line for bacne made mine virtually disappear. The face wash wasn't so effective, but the mask, oil mattifier, and toner are awesome.

Do you use any products that contain a good amount of Benzoyl Peroxide? BP helps eliminate the bacteria that causes pimples and is your best weapon against them. Try "Panoxyl"--it comes in both a body/face wash and soap bar form and contains 10% BP. It's the strongest stuff that I know of like that. It's available at CVS, Walgreens....A note of warning: it can dry out your face a little if you've never used it before, but nothing that a bit of moisturizer can't fix.

Just a few questions--how often do you exfoliate your face? Do you use toner daily? Do you remove makeup before you go to sleep?

Also, how often do you change your bedding? I know it's a silly question, but changing your pillow case and sheets at least once a week (if you don't already) can really make a difference with acne.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone! I have kept up with reading the replies, but haven't had the time to actually respond back until now.

accutane was the best thing i ever did but doctors will milk you for as much money as possible before prescribing it...they'll probably put you on oral antibiotics and a topical ointment.

have you tried differin? DF is on it and seems to have tamed his mild acne very well.

also from time to time i use Queen Helene's Mint Julep face mask its awesome and cleans out your pores you can try that as well.

I have been on Differin. I actually forgot about it, but yeah, it also turned out to be ineffective for me so the derm had me stop that before trying Retin-A.

I do already use QHMJM. I also tried using it as a spot treatment for my pimples & it also doesn't work! Something must be wrong with me, lol!

Have you considered one of the blue light devices - I've heard mixed reviews about them for anti-aging, but people generally seem to feel they work well for acne and the post-lesion inflammatory marks/pigmentation.

I haven't heard about these blue-light devices! I will have to Google this later.

I have used Dr. Wexler's products and found them to be effective..

you need to be patient an give them a chance.. they do work

Thanks for the recommendation, but it's entirely subjective for a product to work for one person & not for another. ;)

Your face might be irritated because you're doing too much. I wish somebody had told me a long time ago not to use those products. Your scars will fade with time - I used to have really bad scars on my cheeks but now you can't see them. I think that if you just use a gentle cleanser and nothing else you're skin will improve, too and you'll save a lot of money and time. Don't fall for those ads and claims - the people that create those products don't use them themselves, so why should you?

Thank you for bringing this point up -- and I too am aware of this, so when I had attempted to only use Cetaphil & toner last fall for months on, nothing had really changed. But I totally know what you mean by doing too much!

Do you use any products that contain a good amount of Benzoyl Peroxide? BP helps eliminate the bacteria that causes pimples and is your best weapon against them. Try "Panoxyl"--it comes in both a body/face wash and soap bar form and contains 10% BP. It's the strongest stuff that I know of like that. It's available at CVS, Walgreens....A note of warning: it can dry out your face a little if you've never used it before, but nothing that a bit of moisturizer can't fix.

Just a few questions--how often do you exfoliate your face? Do you use toner daily? Do you remove makeup before you go to sleep?

Also, how often do you change your bedding? I know it's a silly question, but changing your pillow case and sheets at least once a week (if you don't already) can really make a difference with acne.

I used to use BP cream when I was younger & I think I stopped since I was put on stronger medication. I actually bought Clean & Clear's Persa-Gel last weekend. It has 10% BP as well. I've been using it for a few nights now, but my current pimples haven't subsided. I'm still going to continue using it though.

I use toner twice a day. I rarely wear makeup & when I do, I only put it on before an event & take it off immediately when I get back, so it's not like I wear it for a whole day.

I wash my pillowcases every one or two weeks.

In any case, I am against shelling out more money for a brand at Sephora as of the moment. What makes Juice Beauty or Murad any different from Clinique, Mario Badescu, or Proactiv? Not much, in the end. I guess I should just keep using my current Neutrogena facial cleanser & toner until I can see my dermatologist again.

I NEED to increase my water intake... I definitely know I do not drink enough!! On some days, I will rarely drink any water.

If your main concern is getting rid of hyperpigmentation/post acne marks, I highly recommend Skinceutical's Phyto+ (http://www.skinceuticals.com/_us/_en/catalog/correct/Phyto.htm). My esthetician recommended it to me and over time I do see results. It isn't an overnight miracle, of course, but I think it helps.

I have seen a few threads mention this before! I'm intrigued, but that price tag is a bit hefty! Can I ask what your own personal skincare routine is? I don't want to be investing in such a product if my skincare routine is too harsh if combined with the product. I'm only using a Neutrogena acne facial cleanser & toner as of the moment anyways.

I use - sometimes overuse - Retin A; Cetaphil to cleanse and shea butter to moisturise. The thing is that if you're using one medical grade harsh product, that actively disinfects/peels/bleaches/etc, then the rest have to be gentle and nourishing to protect and repair the damaged skin. You can't smear truckloads of product on your face when you break out bad.

I was on BC too until about a month ago. The side effects just weren't worth it in the end. I had no idea I'd think that, six years ago.

I hope you find something that works for you. Hmm...who knows, maybe doing nothing at all and washing your face with a washcloth and water only is the best thing for it.

I'm not sure if this will help or not, it would depend on your skin type. I have really oily skin, and around my period my acne would get worse. I've recently started using calamine lotion as a mask, and it really helps to reduce both the amount of oil and the appearance of red spots. It's pretty cheap, and you can find it in any store, it wouldn't hurt to try it. :smile:

When my acne was really bad, I used the Biotherm Acnopur line. It did a lot of good for me.

Lately, though, I found that it was making my skin way too dry. So I went to the drugstore (they have a good mix of low/high end products) and she gave me a Dermaglow sensitive skin cleanser and La Roche Posay Hydraphase Legere moisturizer. She told me that when I find I'm breaking out more, to use my old Biotherm Acnopur cleanser-but not the whole line because that will make my skin too dry and make my face overproduce oil.

So maybe that would work best for you-use ONE acne product (eg. toner) and otherwise use products for sensitive skin.

I don't have any advice for you regarding acne products or medications, but make sure you're drinking lots of water.

I'm 24 and had acne ever since I was about 14. I tried a million different skin products like you, and most of them didn't work for me. (I now use Proactiv, which works for me.) But I've also found that if I drink a lot of water everyday, it makes a HUGE difference. I started this a year ago with frosty's Water Club thread:

http://forum.purseblog.com/the-beauty-bar/water-club-quest-for-beautiful-skin-326419.html

Water makes a big difference. I can definitely say that my skin is the most glowingly clear and radiant it has ever been in my life. I realize this may seem like a total no-brainer. But just wanted to offer my two cents. :hugs:

I was about to suggest the water thing. I recently stopped drinking any sort of soda, etc and focused on primarily just water and that is when I've seen the most drastic improvement in my skin.