What would you do about this?

trumanfinn

O.G.
Jul 31, 2009
(Backstory- I contacted an ebay member who bought a HORRID fake speedy through the seller's feedback, she got it all worked out, but asked for help finding a real one...so this question is for her..lol.)

So, she bought the Speedy 30, which was pictured with the lock on the hangtag- bag looks good, auction lists it as coming with the keys and lock.

The first weird thing that happened is that her high bid was $451.00. She and her husband swear that the auction ended at $400, but when she got her paypal invoice, it was for the full amount- $451.00. Outbid at the last minute? Shill bid? Hard to tell, but she ended up paying $451.00 for the bag.

Then..she sent a message to the seller asking when it had shipped, and he responded:

Hello
Yes, I shipped today. There was a small problem though. I could not find the keys to the lock that is on the bag. So I took the lock from another LV I have and attached it to the zipper. That way you can lock it. The keys are in the pouch on the inside of the bag. Sorry for the inconvenience, let me know if you have any questions, Shawn

Isn't that strange??? So the bag will have 2 locks, but the one on the hangtag doesn't come off? Or did he saw the locked lock off? Weird!
She asked me what she should do, and I really don't know what to tell her. If I spent $451.00 on a used Speedy and then found that the lock was stuck (when it was advertised as coming with the lock and keys) I would be ticked.
I'm thinking that she could ask for some kind of refund..I don't know. What would you do? Return the bag? Request a partial refund because it isn't as described, and the lock is stuck on it? Be thankful that he sent an extra lock?
Another thing that bothers me is that he didn't contact her BEFORE shipping the bag! He shipped the bag, and then sent her the message about the lock problem.
I don't know, would this be a huge problem for you?

I don't think I would mind if there's an extra lock without keys to it. As for it been attached tot he bag already, where is it attached to the bag? Is it on the leaf? If so, and she has no intention of ever removing that lock, then it would be fine.

If she wants to remove the lock then I guess she could cut if off or have a locksmith take a look at it.. Personally I would jsut wait and see the bag first. It might be a good thing with two locks.

Sounds like the seller is being proactive (sending an extra lock with keys). Although I guess he could mention it to the buyer of this before sending the bag.

would ask for 25.00 back so she can take it to LV, get keys and take it off. Or she could have a lock smith take it off, but that would cost money too. I am sure he shipped it because he didn't want her to cancel the sale. I would se what it excatly looks like when it comes, but yes if she needs the lock removed she should ask for a partial.

(Backstory- I contacted an ebay member who bought a HORRID fake speedy through the seller's feedback, she got it all worked out, but asked for help finding a real one...so this question is for her..lol.)

So, she bought the Speedy 30, which was pictured with the lock on the hangtag- bag looks good, auction lists it as coming with the keys and lock.

The first weird thing that happened is that her high bid was $451.00. She and her husband swear that the auction ended at $400, but when she got her paypal invoice, it was for the full amount- $451.00. Outbid at the last minute? Shill bid? Hard to tell, but she ended up paying $451.00 for the bag.

Then..she sent a message to the seller asking when it had shipped, and he responded:

Hello
Yes, I shipped today. There was a small problem though. I could not find the keys to the lock that is on the bag. So I took the lock from another LV I have and attached it to the zipper. That way you can lock it. The keys are in the pouch on the inside of the bag. Sorry for the inconvenience, let me know if you have any questions, Shawn

Isn't that strange??? So the bag will have 2 locks, but the one on the hangtag doesn't come off? Or did he saw the locked lock off? Weird!
She asked me what she should do, and I really don't know what to tell her. If I spent $451.00 on a used Speedy and then found that the lock was stuck (when it was advertised as coming with the lock and keys) I would be ticked.
I'm thinking that she could ask for some kind of refund..I don't know. What would you do? Return the bag? Request a partial refund because it isn't as described, and the lock is stuck on it? Be thankful that he sent an extra lock?
Another thing that bothers me is that he didn't contact her BEFORE shipping the bag! He shipped the bag, and then sent her the message about the lock problem.
I don't know, would this be a huge problem for you?

Regarding the pricing... If this is the auction (Item number: 370343064112) than it looks like bidding started at $400.00 and a bid was placed for $450.. and then $451...

Bidder Bid Amount Bid Time
s***t US $451.05 Mar-06-10 07:28:10 PST

e***i US $450.00 Mar-06-10 13:27:14 PST

Starting Price US $400.00 Mar-01-10 13:27:20 PST

So it looks legit to me... she paid what she bid..

:smile:

would ask for 25.00 back so she can take it to LV, get keys and take it off. Or she could have a lock smith take it off, but that would cost money too. I am sure he shipped it because he didn't want her to cancel the sale. I would se what it excatly looks like when it comes, but yes if she needs the lock removed she should ask for a partial.

ITA! :smile:

All she needs to do is cut the lock off with bolt cutters or something. I dont see what the big deal is, cut it off and put the new lock on which has the keys. I dont see a need for partial refund, thats crazy IMO. I could see if the seller said that she is sending it WITHOUT a lock, but she is sending it with a lock and key, and one lock just has to be cut off.

All she needs to do is cut the lock off with bolt cutters or something. I dont see what the big deal is, cut it off and put the new lock on which has the keys. I dont see a need for partial refund, thats crazy IMO. I could see if the seller said that she is sending it WITHOUT a lock, but she is sending it with a lock and key, and one lock just has to be cut off.

I have to agree with this post. IMHO, the seller was very proactive in sending a new set of lock and keys with this bag. And really, I know $451 is a good chunk of change, but it's also quite a bit off retail. If the only problem with the bag is a lock with no keys, then I still say the bidder did better than those of us who paid retail for our beloved Speedies. ;)

I agree. Sholdnt be to much of a problem to have that done, and also, it was nice of teh seller to include a new lock and not just ship without the keys and hope buyer didnt notice or care enough to complaint...

Maybe the seller should have chopped the lock off. lol It just makes for a little hassle for the buyer.

Yeah, not a huge deal- this woman I'm helping (I don't think English is her first language) is just very upset because she already bought one that was fake. I think that she's completely new to LV (if you saw the fake speedy she bought...yowza....lol) and she doesn't really understand how ebay works.

She doesn't seem to realize that the original lock is on a hangtag and can be cut off- she thinks that the seller is trying to pull a bait and switch with her.

And yeah, I looked at her auction, and you're right, she was fairly bid. Like I said...I don't think she really understands how ebay works.

that is exactly what i would do!

Maybe the seller should have chopped the lock off. lol It just makes for a little hassle for the buyer.

Yeah, not a huge deal- this woman I'm helping (I don't think English is her first language) is just very upset because she already bought one that was fake. I think that she's completely new to LV (if you saw the fake speedy she bought...yowza....lol) and she doesn't really understand how ebay works.

She doesn't seem to realize that the original lock is on a hangtag and can be cut off- she thinks that the seller is trying to pull a bait and switch with her.

And yeah, I looked at her auction, and you're right, she was fairly bid. Like I said...I don't think she really understands how ebay works.

I think it is really nice that you are helping her. I have to disagree with the bolt cutting thing. What if you don't own a pair of bolt cutters? you still have to go and buy them. Plus I wouldn't get bolt cutters near my bag. I am super clumsy. anyway I still think a 25 dollar credit should happen. It is not to punish the seller. It is good that she sent another lock. It is just the cost of doing business. She is the one that advertised the keys and lost them. Oh well things happen, but why should the buyer have to do the extra leg work with out being compensated for their troubles. As a seller I would have offered the 25 up front. who wants 2 locks on their bag? And 1 or the other will not be used.