What would you consider a defect/flaw, and how bad would you accept?

Wobble987

Apr 25, 2010
What would you consider a defect/flaw, and how bad would you accept?

I just (re)purchase a daniel mm bag. And after I bought my latest one I'm still not reasonably satisfied enough.

Of course anything cannot be 100%, so I will list the problem that I think is big enough (bother for me) to warrant a mention.

- The weighty badge thing on the front of the flap is crooked and sits at an angle. The left side is higher than the left. Which also pushes the trimming upward in an arc.

- The flap also sits at an angle. The left side is higher than the right and it seems to be offset slightly to the right. I don't know how they manage to do this since the start point from the back is almost spot on. (Probably only 1.0-2.0mm deviation).

- The damier pattern on the lid is diagonal exacerbating the perceived problem of the badging and lid angle issue. (everywhere else is I would say to be excellent). Although after a bit of research before I post this, it seems this is fairly common :huh: varying in severity.

- The textile lining is very wrinkly on the left side of the bag (near the strap attachment point). The other side is fine.

- One of the strap attachment point on the left is offset slightly (about 3mm).

- The end point where they fold the canvas at the corner of the bag to finish it off has cracked revealing canvas underneath the coating. Is this normal?

- Some part of the leather trim is wrinkly and some bubble.

Funny thing is this is probably one of the better one that I've seen.

I really like this bag. I'm wondering if I should give up with this bag/style entirely...

So what kind of flaw would you accept on your bag/wallets/etc?

Is it just me or am i really picky?

Thank you for taking the time to read this long post.

Also I have not included photo since I'm on my mobile. I will post photo if anyone request one.

Ok will do. I will post it when I get home.

Also forgot to add that they have 2 string sticking out. Which is quite rare for LV. Its small but its there nonetheless.

Do they have QC? I have to wonder.

Did you buy your bag used or from the boutique?

I'm glad this thread is on here because I just realized something on my Westminster GM! Just got it two weeks (brand new from LV boutique here in SD) and it has light use. I've taken it to work and other than that it sits on my desk.

I just looked at the handles and the area where it attaches to the bag looks weird. It looks like maybe friction of the hardware "shaving off" the leather. This makes me upset because it makes the bag look a little less glamorous having that. Anyone else experience this?

Here is a picture. One has it, the other for comparison. (sorry, not sure why the pictures aren't showing so here are links)
Problem

Without

Last edited:
I just looked at the handles and the area where it attaches to the bag looks weird. It looks like maybe friction of the hardware "shaving off" the leather.

yeah it seems that is normal.

it happens a bit less on my taiga bag (roman mm). in fact i don't notice this shaving at all.

the daniel mm that i've got last year has that leather shaving problem also (i returned it for a store credit coz of zipper tab problem). i must say i do wonder why the leather do this. probably because that the inside is not treated/glazed/painted like the outside. and this daniel mm (which i claimed the store credit with) already started sign of shaving (even though i haven't use it yet).

I think I wouldn't consider it a defect. it just the type of leather that LV uses.
while saying that, i don't like the look of it. maybe others could clarify.

Did you buy your bag used or from the boutique?

from the brand new boutique in australia.

in fact this latest one just arrived and i was the first one to open it. it still comes with that cardboard box that they stuffed the bag in.

which increase the appeal at that time. blah. i promised myself i wouldn't get the bag again. but i really like it, and that just put me over the edge.... plus the bag has really good stitching on the strap and back zipper tab.

here is the image.

Attachments

• IMG_1896.JPG
    IMG_1896.JPG
    171 KB · Views: 747
  • IMG_1913.JPG
    IMG_1913.JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 734
  • IMG_1916.JPG
    IMG_1916.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 728
  • IMG_1922.JPG
    IMG_1922.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 721
  • IMG_1930.JPG
    IMG_1930.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 721
i'm very happy with the stitching of the strap (first photo). that is the back of the strap attachment not the front. this is usually not as neat as this. although now i've seen it the leather around the loop has some wrinkle which i'm not too sure how i feel about that (a bit disappointed i guess). the strap on the other side of the bag doesn't have the wrinkle.

the second photo is for the back of the bag. it looks well done. and the zipper tab which i have problem previously is now spot on.

Attachments

• IMG_1944.JPG
    IMG_1944.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 726
  • IMG_1946.JPG
    IMG_1946.JPG
    197 KB · Views: 729
Last edited:
i'm very happy with the stitching of the strap (first photo). that is the back of the strap attachment not the front. this is usually not as neat as this. although now i've seen it the leather around the loop has some wrinkle which i'm not too sure how i feel about that (a bit disappointed i guess). the strap on the other side of the bag doesn't have the wrinkle.

the second photo is for the back of the bag. it looks well done. and the zipper tab which i have problem previously is now spot on.

My Valmy MM came with a wrinkle on the side tabs as well from the boutique. I am a little disappointed with that but regardless did not exchange because it was not really noticeable and if I waited for a new bag to come in, it may be made in USA with a cloth tag so I wanted to avoid that. However, the unsymmetrical plaque on the front would definitely annoy me and so i would exchange it for that reason. It is not unreasonable to exchange your bag because your not satisfied with it.

To be honest, I am very disappointed with LV quality thus far and have moved on to Hermes or is in the process of moving on to Hermes. LV use to have superior quality control but now its all going downhill. Prices are increasing, quality control declining, and most certainly canvas is thinner and cheaper feeling. I'm not quite sure how I feel about LV anymore.