What will ebay due with a SNAD case?

princesskara

Princeskara
O.G.
Jul 5, 2008
I like so many others on this thread it seems am frustrated with ebay. I have been selling for over 10 years, over 2500 in positive feedback (mostly as a seller) and have only had 1 issue like this (but it was years ago and I was hoping they had fixed the problem).
I sold a bag on ebay for 800 - the buyer seemed a little off (emailed a question and then bought before I answered) but I was not to concerned.
When she received it, she emailed me that it was not in the "Condition" she was expecting - fine. I did not want to argue - even though I say no returns I tell her to send it to me and I would refund minus shipping. She then opens a case - in it states handles are more worn, and it smells like cinnamon (what?) and sends the item to me fedex. I should have told her to use ups or usps but figured it would not be a big deal (again so wrong). They try to deliver on Wednesday - its a crazy week at work I couldn't figure out what the note was but it said they would try again. Nothing on Thursday, then note on Friday it was the final attempt. Like most people selling a bag of this worth I am working all day so of course I can not be there to sign. I try to call the 1-800 number - really not a lot of info on the card and am on hold for 10 minutes so figure I will enjoy the weekend and worry about it on Monday. I call fedex and get the biggest run around of my life -more than 45 minutes. Seems the item is in a city 30+ minutes from my house. I ask if they can deliver closer to another fedex - no the buyer requested they dont. I email her letting her know I cannot get it during the week but if she sends it to the fedex near me I can get it right away. She immediately escalates the case. Now ebay is saying I have to give her the money or they might and if they do I will not get any fees back. So I drag my toddler out there tonight after daycare (yea that was a lot of fun!) and its not there. Guess what - the buyer requested THIS MORNING to return it to her. Now ebay is closed - they are not allowing me to email them, yada yada!!

I am sorry this is so long but I am stressed!!! It is going to be close to a thousand dollars out of pocket if they find in her favor (plus I was selling to by the same bag but bigger so over 2000 when it is all said and done!).
Can anyone suggest what to do? I am stressed out and it is a crazy week at work as it is...
Thanks for reading.

O and I think it is important to mention I did not state it was new, said it was used, took pictures of the straps (but sent them to another buyer who actually asked but was emailing the same day saying it was her.). The date code is clearly listed which shows the bag is from 08 - so it does show wear.

I had the same experience with UPS. I had to drive out to booniesville to their warehouse facility. The suggested route included toll roads. I had to Google another way. Took me half the day to finally find the place and get my package.

I hope you can get this straightened out

I would also try to request some kind of document from Fedex showing that it was the buyer who requested the bag be returned to her, and it wasn't that you didn't pick it up. If necessary tell PP that you're willing to pay return shipping again - that's an expense that you should never have to pay, but it would be better than being out the whole amount and the bag.

I would also try to request some kind of document from Fedex showing that it was the buyer who requested the bag be returned to her, and it wasn't that you didn't pick it up. If necessary tell PP that you're willing to pay return shipping again - that's an expense that you should never have to pay, but it would be better than being out the whole amount and the bag.

This. If the buyer requested the return and you can show them that they should not award her the refund until you have the bag back.

How do you know it was definitely the buyer who requested the package be returned? Usually after a certain number of days, FedEx returns it to the sender if the recipient hasn't picked it up yet. Could you get something in writing that explicitly says the buyer requested it be returned?

After over an hour on hold I was able to to to them. Fortunately tracking shows she requested the bag. It's now on hold while the try and contact her. So at least she will be getting the money tomorrow. Hopefully when I talk to them again tomorrow they will have more details.

After over an hour on hold I was able to to to them. Fortunately tracking shows she requested the bag. It's now on hold while the try and contact her. So at least she will be getting the money tomorrow. Hopefully when I talk to them again tomorrow they will have more details.

any updates on your bag? hoping for a good outcome for you!

any updates on your bag? hoping for a good outcome for you!

Thanks for asking - I finally received the bag back - closed the case and got my fees back. So I am only out 15 for shipping - sucks but much better than it could have been. I love how ebay will always find in the buyers favor - it is true the handles are worn - maybe more than she expected - but everything else she wrote was lies. I was scared she had ruined the bag but I guess she knew opening a case period would let her win!

Thanks for asking - I finally received the bag back - closed the case and got my fees back. So I am only out 15 for shipping - sucks but much better than it could have been. I love how ebay will always find in the buyers favor - it is true the handles are worn - maybe more than she expected - but everything else she wrote was lies. I was scared she had ruined the bag but I guess she knew opening a case period would let her win!

Glad you got your bag & fees back & in this case the buyer had to make
more out of the condition of the bag than necessary. Shame on her

What you've found is that many buyers who would otherwise admit to buyer's remorse and request a return will see a seller with a "no return" policy and assuming that unless they file SNAD, they can't return.

Although I don't know that I'd change the return policy, I think I'd probably suggest adding a comment at the bottom of the description saying that if the buyer isn't delighted with the item, please contact. It might tend to encourage more returns but it will also (possibly) avert unwarranted SNAD claims.

What you've found is that many buyers who would otherwise admit to buyer's remorse and request a return will see a seller with a "no return" policy and assuming that unless they file SNAD, they can't return.

Although I don't know that I'd change the return policy, I think I'd probably suggest adding a comment at the bottom of the description saying that if the buyer isn't delighted with the item, please contact. It might tend to encourage more returns but it will also (possibly) avert unwarranted SNAD claims.

I agree that this is a good moderate approach. Sellers, particularly those sellers who are just selling their own things, might not want to accept returns (who wants their old stuff back :P). But I have seen so many threads on here about sellers knocked off their equilibrium because a buyer wants to return something. Ebay doesn't make it easy for sellers to have a "no return" policy. So it is often easier just to accept the return rather than fight it.

The whole thing was just to much work for me. I sent it off to a consignment store. I'll actually only make a little less due to the ridiculous fees and cost of shipping but the piece of mind is worth it. I enjoyed the extra money but will not sell there again. I noticed over the summer they almost encourage opening cases. I went to email a seller over the summer as I had received some but not all my items and it opened a case for me. I was not concerned about receiving the item as I had shopped with them before. I was horrified.

The whole thing was just to much work for me. I sent it off to a consignment store. I'll actually only make a little less due to the ridiculous fees and cost of shipping but the piece of mind is worth it. I enjoyed the extra money but will not sell there again. I noticed over the summer they almost encourage opening cases. I went to email a seller over the summer as I had received some but not all my items and it opened a case for me. I was not concerned about receiving the item as I had shopped with them before. I was horrified.

Yup. That's right. They changed it so that any post-sale contact with the seller opens a dispute. OTOH just opening one doesn't count against the seller anymore. :smile:

You're certainly correct that eBay is a big headache! Consignment is often the way to go.