What will eBay do if buyer goes beyond my return period?

jellyv

O.G.
Mar 29, 2006
Hypothetical: Must I accept a return outside my listing's return window? Let's say the listing says 14 days return accepted. The buyer comes in on day 20 and demands a return. Will eBay force me to accept the return and therefore allow the buyer to override my stipulated return window? I don't see the point of being able to choose a return period only to have it be essentially meaningless.

Can the buyer leave a neg feedback or ding me for refusing a return outside my return window?

Thanks.

Hypothetical: Must I accept a return outside my listing's return window? Let's say the listing says 14 days return accepted. The buyer comes in on day 20 and demands a return. Will eBay force me to accept the return and therefore allow the buyer to override my stipulated return window? I don't see the point of being able to choose a return period only to have it be essentially meaningless.

Can the buyer leave a neg feedback or ding me for refusing a return outside my return window?

Thanks.

If the buyer initiates the return after your return window, you will be asked to approve it. If the reason stated is buyer;s remorse (did not fit, no longer want, don't like), you can deny it and it will automatically close. Yes, the buyer will still be able to leave a negative feedback.
If the reason the buyer chooses is not as described, you can still deny it, but if the buyer chooses to escalate it, there is a chance, ebay will side with the buyer. In that case, the buyer will also be able to leave a negative feedback.

I had both scenarios. In the first one, I was able to offer the buyer an exchange for another item and the buyer agreed. In one case, the buyer claimed that the color of the item did not match the rest of her decor and I was able to get ebay to close it my favor.

One more question: if they claim not as described but they're lying, is there any way a seller can defend against that claim? As in, does eBay have a mechanism for making the buyer prove NAD, or is it taken at face value as true?

One more question: if they claim not as described but they're lying, is there any way a seller can defend against that claim? As in, does eBay have a mechanism for making the buyer prove NAD, or is it taken at face value as true?
It depends. I won a SNAD case when the buyer claimed it was too small as the measurements were in the listing, the size small was in the item specifics, and the description said "This is a small bag."

I've heard of other cases where SNAD was denied for smells or not being in pristine condition if it was listed as preowned.

It isn't a foregone conclusion that sellers lose every time.