What will a Chemical Peel do for my skin?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hi everyone,

I did a search and didn't see any threads that cover this topic, so I'm throwing it out there. Please just let me know if I've missed something.

I'm 38 and have have very fair, but resilient skin. I have struggled with what I think are an excessive number of clogged pores that have only expanded to new areas of my face every year since puberty –*my nose, forehead, chin and beyond. It's really annoying.

Overall, my skin isn't bad and doesn't break out terribly, but I do get a pimple here and there. It's just the clogged pores/oxidized oil that get me down. Now, as I age, my pores are getting bigger and it only makes things worse. :rolleyes:

Has anyone here ever had a chemical peal or similar procedure? Do you know if this would change my skin's nasty little habit?

2. I had several chemical peels right after high school, I had bad acne and finally sought out a dermatologist. It worked wonders for most of the scarring that I had, and it does help to slough off that top layer of dead skin, another thing that often clogged my pores.

As far as shrinking pores, I'm not so sure. There were days I had it done and it made me feel like my pores were wide open, but that feeling would go away after a few hours.

3. chemical peels do work great. I know there are different types. I've only done 50% gycholic acid. My MIL got one where she peeled for a week or so and had brand new skin underneath. It was done by a plastic surgeon. Something went wrong with her skin peeling thou and she now had dark dark marks underneath her eyes :sad:.

4. Oh no! I'd be so sad if it messed up my skin coloring.
    I am lucky to have a very even skin tone.

5. You could consult with a clinical aesthetician for advice. There are several milder peels with only light shedding that are performed in weekly/bi-weekly sessions for 4-6 weeks or so. I've witnessed great results both on myself and clients.

6. I had a peel, I peeled for almost a week. My skin looked great. Check with a professional to see what strength you need.

7. The best thing to do is find a good clinical aesthetician and have an assessment. Tell her/him what your concerns are, what you like and don't like and see what they have to say. There are a number of different options.

8. I've had three series of lactic peels done at a medi-spa. One series per year. I got 6 peels each series, with 2 weeks in between each peel. The shedding was very minimal, but the results after the series were amazing--smooth, clear skin, old acne scars gone, and pigmentation issues gone. I will be going back again this fall!

9. wow, Alexis77! Your post convinces I need this!!! Congrats on your wieghtloss as well!

10. Thanks for all of your input and for sharing your experiences! It's really helpful and encouraging. :flowers:

Alexis, LuxuryLover & Glossgal that sounds great!

Irishgal You're right, about getting a consult. I will set something up with my dermo and see what he's got to say.