What (Who) Do You Associate with Different Brands?

AugustaBlue

Mar 1, 2015
This is meant in the spirit of fun, but what stereotypes and assumptions do you have for the clients and style identities of certain brands? Obviously, serious answers would be nuanced and complicated. I’m curious about the jokingly general perceptions we have. I've shopped with most of these so I'm mocking myself as much as anyone else :smile: Try to focus on where the brands are today and/or where they've been in the past five years or so.

For me:

Valentino – romantic, frou-frous girls. "I'm offbeat, quirky, and cute! My outfits are not all the same."
Chloe – bohemian sister of Valentino; the “peasant style” for people who aren't peasants. "I live a pure and free life...in my very expesive clothes."
Saint Laurent – rocker 1980s/90s chic (or kitsch extraordinaire) for people who like their basics on the edge. "My jeans are just so much more."
Balmain – less is not more, tighter is better, and slits are my friend. "I have a bazillion followers and am super sexy!"
Chanel – young noveau riche or old-money old ladies who want to be obvious about what they wear. "It's Chanel. I'm classy."
D&G – glam that sometimes meets trashy; aka, the Fabulously Gaudy. "I love animal and floral prints! See-through is also nice, as are corsets. Is it kind of tacky? Maybe. But you know it's awesome."
Alexander Wang – urbanite who pays a lot of money to be casual and a member of the in-crowd. "I don't care about fashion...except I do."
Ralph Lauren – Town and Country. "I'm not traditional and boring. I'm classic."
Burberry – Town and Country except I think I’m cooler. "We get the best models. Plus the trench is iconic!"
Alexander McQueen – there are two types: 1) "I miss Lee!" or 2) "Sarah is so romantic (but not like Valentino - this is McQueen after all). We have ruffles (but not like Chloe)! We're edgy and fierce (but not like Saint Laurent; Sarah is a dreamer). Our prints and patterns are better than anyone else's."
Dior – ultra feminine sophisticates who've been having an identiy crisis for the past five years. "Dior today is well, I don't know. But I know what it should be. I miss [insert whoever you like as long as it's not the current designer]."
Gucci – crazy-disco-hippies. "The 1970s were the best decade. You just don't understand the brilliance."
Hermes – status. "I have a Birkin/Kelly." Or: "I'm wearing something that's not a Birkin/Kelly and I feel superior because I'm not flaunting my Hermes fabulousness. I buy for the craftsmanship people."

Last edited:
This is meant in the spirit of fun, but what stereotypes and assumptions do you have for the clients and style identities of certain brands? Obviously, serious answers would be nuanced and complicated. I’m curious about the jokingly general perceptions we have. I've shopped with most of these so I'm mocking myself as much as anyone else :smile: Try to focus on where the brands are today and/or where they've been in the past five years or so.

For me:
Chanel
– young noveau riche or old-money old ladies who want to be obvious about what they wear. "It's Chanel. I'm classy."
Dior – ultra feminine sophisticates who've been having an identiy crisis for the past five years. "Dior today is well, I don't know. But I know what it should be. I miss [insert whoever you like as long as it's not the current designer]."
Hermes – status. "I have a Birkin/Kelly." Or: "I'm wearing something that's not a Birkin/Kelly and I feel superior because I'm not flaunting my Hermes fabulousness. I buy for the craftsmanship people."

Agree especially with these three!!

For me:

Valentino – romantic, frou-frous girls. "I'm offbeat, quirky, and cute! My outfits are not all the same."
Chloe – bohemian sister of Valentino; the “peasant style” for people who aren't peasants. "I live a pure and free life...in my very expesive clothes."
Saint Laurent – rocker 1980s/90s chic (or kitsch extraordinaire) for people who like their basics on the edge. "My jeans are just so much more."
Balmain – less is not more, tighter is better, and slits are my friend. "I have a bazillion followers and am super sexy!"
Chanel – young noveau riche or old-money old ladies who want to be obvious about what they wear. "It's Chanel. I'm classy."
D&G – glam that sometimes meets trashy; aka, the Fabulously Gaudy. "I love animal and floral prints! See-through is also nice, as are corsets. Is it kind of tacky? Maybe. But you know it's awesome."
Alexander Wang – urbanite who pays a lot of money to be casual and a member of the in-crowd. "I don't care about fashion...except I do."
Burberry – Town and Country except I think I’m cooler. "We get the best models. Plus the trench is iconic!"
Alexander McQueen – there are two types: 1) "I miss Lee!" or 2) "Sarah is so romantic (but not like Valentino - this is McQueen after all). We have ruffles (but not like Chloe)! We're edgy and fierce (but not like Saint Laurent; Sarah is a dreamer). Our prints and patterns are better than anyone else's."
Gucci – crazy-disco-hippies. "The 1970s were the best decade. You just don't understand the brilliance."

Agree with just about all of these! I also tend to think of brands in terms of people, so for me -

Valentino = Keira Knightley types -- waiflike, ethereal, not quite of this world
Chloe is Rosie Huntington-Whiteley x 10000
Chanel always makes me think of semi-undone European elite who are always semi-drunk, never comb their hair and have smudgy eyeliner but have a kind of mystique about them nonetheless
Alexander Wang is inextricably bound up with the Kendall & Kylie Jenner / Hailey Baldwin / Gigi Hadid group - undone and casual but instagrammed to death
Ralph Lauren I will always associate with Emmy Rossum bc of her early Hollywood years & his general association with a very fresh-faced, ingenue kind of set
Dior I've never really been able to pin down...maybe Kristina Bazan? with an exaggerated semi-retro femininity & predilection for performative French-ness?

Lilly Pulitzer: very active in her sorority, always Instagrams Starbucks cups in her car.
Isabel Marant: much cooler than you are and always seems to know about the cool new thing before it's cool.
LuluLemon: very into working out/yoga or drives a Range Rover to pick the kids up from soccer practice.

For me:

Oscar de la Renta - Ageless. And by that, I mean that a 20 year old wearing it looks like she's going on 50... It's a weird sort of time warp.
Carolina Herrera - Valentino for grown-ups. Romantic for a woman who likes a little more support in her clothing.
St John - Granimals for adults. For the American hospital administrator or judge who doesn't want to go shopping in her off hours - she says, "If I wear this, I can just match the label colors, and wear it and it looks expensive but not particularly stylish and I'll have it for the next forty years."
Natan - the Benelux St. John
Akris - Luxurious basics.

Reactions: prepster
You missed Louis Vuitton. For me the speedy or neverfull says 'this is my first designer bag!'

For sure, and it's either, "I have zero originality so I'm gonna choose the most common bag on the planet and happily blend in with what's considered fashionable," or then it's, "I will carry this and rock it despite everyone and their twelve year old cousin having one on their arm as well, because I don't give a flying F what others do, I like this bag." It's easy to differentiate which is which, and the latter is never carrying a fake of course.

For sure, and it's either, "I have zero originality so I'm gonna choose the most common bag on the planet and happily blend in with what's considered fashionable," or then it's, "I will carry this and rock it despite everyone and their twelve year old cousin having one on their arm as well, because I don't give a flying F what others do, I like this bag." It's easy to differentiate which is which, and the latter is never carrying a fake of course.

Sooooo true!!