What were your surprise MVPs?

Sugardragon

Oct 23, 2012
I was just wondering if other people had the experience of picking up something on a whim that ended up being a surprise heavy hitter in your jewelry box? I don't often buy without a plan but it seems surprising to me how often the unplanned purchase ends up a favorite.

For example, while vacationing in the Dakotas we ended up at the Landstrom jewelry museum, which of course finishes in their store. I picked up a small piece as a memento of the trip. Half the size of my thumb nail it is two green gold leaves, a rose gold leaf, yellow gold grapes with one grape being a 2 pt diamond. I thought it would be a once in a while piece to remember a nice vacation but it ended up being my go-to casual glitter.

Do these surprises happen to anyone else?

Last year on my birthday, I went into Tiffany's thinking I was going to purchase a pair of earrings. Instead I got their circle diamond pendant on a total whim (which is bad since it was quite pricey). At first I regretted the purchase and thought that I would've liked to spend the money on a different piece, but now I wear it so much and it is always in my rotation. Glad that it was a classic piece that will serve me for a long time, but I'll probably stop impulse-buying for peace of mind :smile:

mine is my YG MOP sweet bracelet, i thought sure it's cute and a great layering bracelet, but it's been a go to since i got it. if i'm only wearing one bracelet it's this one! i also love to layer bracelets and it's always included in my stack because it plays so well with other designs :biggrin:

On a whim I purchased a jade monkey ruyi peach pendant off of ebay. The bidding didn't go too high, thankfully, so I paid less than my max bid. I didn't expect to like the carving and the color so much. It was much better quality jade than it looked like in the auction photos. It's got a tiny diamond set in the bail, too. I put it on a tiffany chain and now it splits time with my ladybug.

aLd7V3W.jpg