What was it like to sell your Classic Chanel Flap?

May 3, 2020
Hi - I am curious to know what it was like for those that have sold your Chanel handbags. The main reason I ask was I used to think Chanel was an investment item and if I ever decide to sell I would recoup the costs. Now I don’t think so, given how many preloved Chanel’s are out there plus the commission fee. Yet everyone keeps going on about what an investment item it is and the potential to recover the funds.
I tried selling a few other designer items via VC, all of my items didn’t sell for good 6 months I took them off (sold one item and got bad experience so decided not to sell via them again).

I should point out I am not looking to sell my Chanel, purely curiosity and also help me make any purchasing decisions.

- Which handbag size, colour, hardware and leather?
- sold privately or via a resell retailer? Any commission?
- how long did it take to sell once posting, etc?
- did you recover the costs?
- Do you have any regrets?

Reactions: Nikki PHAN
This data is about five months old now. Since I sold, inventory and prices have changed a bit, so your mileage may vary.

1. Black Jumbo caviar SHW single flap from 2011, very gently used because I favored my Maxi flap tenfold. The majority of the shape loss was due to storage and packing from three major moves.
2. Fashionphile -- no commission or consignment, just a buyout.
3. They accepted my bag within 10 business days. They quote 2-5 days, but user experiences shared here would indicate that it's always more. I think it took a few weeks to go live on the website, and then I stopped paying attention. The listing shows as sold now.
4. I amply recovered my purchase cost and made a nice profit because of the way prices have increased in the last 9 years (ahem, and the last 9 months). I bought my bag for something in the low $3000 range after sales tax, if memory serves.
5. No regrets because I didn't like the bag nearly as much as I liked my Maxi. I was even more comfortable with the sale because of how prices on the preloved market have skyrocketed.

TL;DR
If you keep a Chanel in good condition for long enough, you'll make your money back. I would call all of my Chanel bags a good investment, but I have no interest in purchasing anything else.

Reactions: Minimalist_Chic
Hi - I am curious to know what it was like for those that have sold your Chanel handbags. The main reason I ask was I used to think Chanel was an investment item and if I ever decide to sell I would recoup the costs. Now I don’t think so, given how many preloved Chanel’s are out there plus the commission fee. Yet everyone keeps going on about what an investment item it is and the potential to recover the funds.
I tried selling a few other designer items via VC, all of my items didn’t sell for good 6 months I took them off (sold one item and got bad experience so decided not to sell via them again).

I should point out I am not looking to sell my Chanel, purely curiosity and also help me make any purchasing decisions.

- Which handbag size, colour, hardware and leather?
- sold privately or via a resell retailer? Any commission?
- how long did it take to sell once posting, etc?
- did you recover the costs?
- Do you have any regrets?

I’ve sold several classic flaps over the years, all of them have been black in either lambskin or caviar, silver or gold hardware. I’ve ALWAYS made money on them due to the price increases. Sometimes it’s taken a few months to sell though. I’ve always sold them on eBay with the £1 seller fee offer. My jumbo was harder to sell than M/L.

Reactions: Nikki PHAN
I just sold a seasonal Chanel bag for the very first time..it wasn’t a classic bag but it’s a single flap, calfskin and in pristine condition. Sold it for only AUD3,650 but bought it for AUD4,970 in 2016. Guess I was just in a rush to sell the bag because I needed the funds to purchase my Chanel Coco handle. Looking back now, I could have priced it a lot higher at around AUD4,200 - AUD4,500..it might take a while but at least, the price would have been better. It was sold in a snap because of the low price..oh well, such is life. I didn’t like the bag too much and I was quoted AUD3,800 for it by a consignment store in 2020 so I just went with that.

But I’m glad I sold it in a facebook group because the consignment store’s commission was 30% and I would have made only AUD2,700 from the bag back in 2020..so in a way, i’m glad i waited a bit and sold it myself this month. Wish I wasn’t too generous with the pricing though..Now I kinda regret selling it for so low..

Pic of the bag for attention. 9A35761F-BE33-4A8B-A61F-B2B04B067EE5.jpeg