What was Dooney thinking?

Here is another style, called "candy". Good color detail, but still too young for me:

candy.jpg

Also very cute, IMO. :yes:

These are obviously designed for tweenies and teens and there's nothing wrong with that! :biggrin:

They probably did widen their target market base if they marketed for the teenage crowd, but in doing so may have lost some of their 'old and established' market who were middle class thirtysomething women who liked a sturdy bag with a restrained design that could withstand bad weather and lasted a long time.

They have some cute bags !! Just not very "adult" bags. I thought the bees were adorable BUT, they are very very youngish..... you see alot of teens carrying them here. I wouldn't buy one for myself but for a daughter, sure.

I don't know..I don't think the new Dooney styles are any more fugly than say the Tokidokis I see. I agree that the candy, pops, etc, are probably geared more towards younger women, but when it comes right down to fugly v. fugly, I'd buy a D&D picnic in pink eons before popping for anything Tokidoki.

I guess it is the kid in me or maybe I just don't want to grow up. I love the Toki's and some of the Dooney's new prints. I like to mix these bags in with my classic leather styles as well. Versatility!

They probably did widen their target market base if they marketed for the teenage crowd, but in doing so may have lost some of their 'old and established' market who were middle class thirtysomething women who liked a sturdy bag with a restrained design that could withstand bad weather and lasted a long time.

Why do people continue to say that Dooney's target market has changed? Yes, they make whimsical bags that many people may not feel comfortable with carrying in a business or professional setting, but I go to their website ALL the time, and things like the It line and the Ice Pop line really only represent a FRACTION of what they have to offer. They have PLENTY of professional looking, well-made, timeless and iconic handbags on their websites and available in stores, and this means they obviously ARE targeting the professional, career-minded, mature buyer. In fact, the Croc line, the Glove line, and other lines have pieces that are very classy looking and well-thought out. Dooney DOES still make bags with "restrained designs" that can withstand bad weather and last a long time. You just can't be superficial and stop looking when you see something like the Madras or Texas line. Do a little work--all it takes is three or four clicks of the mouse--and expand your knowledge of this great handbag manufacturer. I mean, where are you people GETTING your ideas that Dooney and Bourke bags can't be classy, elegant, or professional?

i'm glad all these threads got stuck in their own forum hehe... now there will be less negativity ;) i personally don't fancy the ice pops but i do like the bees and mini bubbles and picnic stuff for wristlet sized things, and i think they're kind of fun to collect... i'd have a flap wristlet in every single print they made for collectors purposes if i was rich lol...