What was Costco thinking....?????

I really feel a pre-need is the best gift you can give your family.

Just curious, what was the median price for the Costco caskets?

Seriously! It solves *most* of the problems people face with funeral homes. Not all, by any means, but most!

Costco sells around 1000-1300 for something we would probably sell at 2000+. You could probably get something really nice for 1500-1800 even. There are some places that will try to match prices, but it's almost impossible. Funeral homes differ on markup, but wherever I have worked, it's the same as any other retail establishment. That is a point I'll argue! I think about the markup I spend on purses and it probably has nothing on a moderately priced funeral home's caskets!

How do you get the casket home? Do you store it for an emergency?

My ex did (really beautiful) woodworking as a hobby. He really, really wanted to make his own coffin. He thought it would make an excellent coffee table until the time came.

:roflmfao:

On a serious note, my ex father-in-law did make the coffin when my sister-in-law's baby only lived a few days. And my ex mother-in-law sewed the cushioning/lining. They put a lot of love into it.

We're plain wooden box people (AKA Jewish). I'm all for people doing what works for them and if spending thousands on a coffin is what they need to do (AND they can actually afford it), that's fine. But I'm going in my plain wooden box.

I do have a beautiful spot in the cemetary picked out, though.

^^So how can you tell what funeral homes have moderate pricing or not?

Sometimes that requires a little leg work, although I think most funeral homes know they need to be competitive. Just like any other sort of place, there are funeral homes that cater to the more wealthy. These will be in cities or neighborhoods where higher prices are more acceptable. Hopefully, along with these higher prices you will find that the staff may look exceptionally professional (we all are professional, but if you see the guys in the super nice Brooks Brothers suits, there might be a different sort of clientele around), the decor will be newer/fancier etc etc.

I would advise people to not just stick with the closest or most-used-by-your-family funeral home. If you try one or two other places, you may find it is worthwhile to go elsewhere. That in no way means the most-used-by-your-family place isn't the best--having history somewhere never hurts, especially if you have found people that you feel comfortable dealing with. If you look around, you are less likely to feel taken advantage of.

And more on topic, Costco caskets are some of the least expensive metal caskets you will find.

Wish I didnt have the knowledge around these, but I do, so I can share..

A funeral can literally break you, and at a time when you are past the point of having any emotion or ability to make decisions. The fact that Costco can sell these for almost 50% of what it costs in a funeral home is really helpful - you just place your order over the phone, and you dont do anything else, you dont take them home with you. They arrive at the funeral home quickly. Having taken care of this on your own, means you wont be upsold (and YES it really does happen) at the funeral home when you are completely vulnerable.

^^ completely agree - and it is great to have had the conversation in advance - it gives you the confidence to pick out the cheapest one on the rail (and not feel worried that you are being disrespectful to the person who had died - ..)

Jessica Mitford's American Way of Death is a really good read...

BTW - I just did a google on cardboard coffins. When I first heard about them about 4 years ago they cost less that $100 with shipping - now they are available at over $1000 - with pillows and lining etc.

Anyway - thats what I'm having - and I'll provide Sharpies so that people can scribble on my casket.. (to the tune of My Way in the background - just kidding). Seems a bit more authentic to me...