What to wear to evening wedding?

LovePinkCoach

Jun 25, 2008
Hey ladies! I need your help.

My boyfriend and I are attending his friend's wedding this October. The ceremony starts at 5, and the reception starts @ 6:00 pm. I'm a little lost on what kind of dress to wear/what colors. Does it matter what colors you wear? I found a really cute cocktail style dress that kits my knee, and it's a print dress..the colors are brown, white, and light blue/aqua. It really is very cute. I would post a picture, but I need to charge my digital camera. Anyway, does that sound too casual? Should I be getting something more dressy?

(Oh, and I don't know whether it's black tie or not- my bf is the one with the invitation, and knowing him he probably threw it out!)

Any suggestions/advice would be great. Thank you for your help!

I'm going through this right now too. Wedding in Oct and I'm already freaking out about my dress. Wedding starts at 530 and invitation doesnt mention black tie or not, but I assume its formal. I ordered a few bcbg dresses already...All I know is dont wear white! HAHA.

So if it's formal, does it need to be long?! I suck at this lol. The last wedding I attended I was a bridesmaid, so I didn't have to worry about my dress!

I'm going to ask my bf tonight if he still has the invitation. Which is pretty doubtful.

^^ Yes! Black is always safe for cocktail or formal weddings. Is there anyone to ask if your BF threw away the invite? I've made my husband actually call some of his friends and ask when I wasn't clear. Also, living on the west coast is very different than the east coast, so some of it matters where the wedding will be.

^^ Yes! Black is always safe for cocktail or formal weddings. Is there anyone to ask if your BF threw away the invite? I've made my husband actually call some of his friends and ask when I wasn't clear. Also, living on the west coast is very different than the east coast, so some of it matters where the wedding will be.

The wedding is on the East Coast (New England). I actually just talked to my bf and he said he still has the invitation, so hopefully it states the dress code on there. Hmmm, I'm thinking about returning the dress I bought now and just getting a black one to be on the safe side..

I'm going to a wedding in September and I'm wearing a black Dolce dress that is knee length...I think a cocktail dress would be perfect, but if it is a very formal wedding, a longer length would be appropriate.

I'm a bit oldfashioned when it comes to wedding attire so I would never wear black or white to a wedding.

If it's black tie, I'd definitely wear a long dress. But if its normal semi-formal attire then the dress you've chosen should be just fine.

I really think this depends on local customs more than anything. Where I live it is considered a little too much to wear a long dress to anything but the most formal weddings weddings-unless you are a bridesmaid or the bride!

Thanks for the responses ladies. Alright, now I need more help. :shame: I've decided to return the dress that I originally bought- just not feeling it as much as I thought. I'm trying to decide between these dresses. Which do you like better/think is more appropriate for a fall wedding? Keep in mind it will be in the evening. Thanks for any input!

The first one:
http://www.davidsbridal.com/social_dresses_detail.jsp?stid=2965&prodgroup=213

Second (in either black or dark blue):
http://www.davidsbridal.com/social_dresses_detail.jsp?stid=3319&prodgroup=213

Third:
http://www.davidsbridal.com/mother_of_bride_detail.jsp?stid=3317&prodgroup=59