What to wear to a funeral?

mocha beans

Jul 21, 2008
My fiance's grandmother is in the hospital after a heart attack and probably won't make it out. I haven't been to a funeral since I was a little girl, so I'm not sure what is appropriate now. Is black still the standard, or do people wear other colors now, like muted jewel tones? I don't really have anything to wear, so I need to pick something up fairly soon.

The last funeral I went to I wore black pants, a black sweater, and a white button up underneath. There were others wearing colours like different shades of grey and navy blue.

Where I live it is still most common for people to wear black, navy blue, charcoal grey or dark green. Dark and subdued is the general rule, though it doesn't have to be black. Brighter colors are commonly viewed as celebratory and not somber enough for a sad occasion.

Usually either a black dress or a black suit. Dark neutral and not revealing.

Sometimes funerals are considered "celebratory" and people are encouraged to wear party clothes because it is going to be a party celebrating someone's life. It seems though that you know the deceased and would be privy to if this was the case.

Dark colours and covered up. You don't want to stand out on this day - the day is about grief of the family and supporting them.

I have relied on a black dress + 3/4 length coat combination in the past.

I think muted jewel tones are fine as long as they are on the darker side. Black and navy are always good too, but it doesn't have to be black. Keep it conservative, simple, tasteful. Nothing flashy. Unless you are wearing something vibrant or revealing, no one is really going to pay attention to what you are wearing. I am sorry about your fiance's grandmother.

Dark, conservative and respectful.

I went to one funeral where we were asked to wear the deceased favorite colour (pink) though. My friends and I just wore pink cardigans/shirts under black jackets. Others went all out with the pink.

Dark, conservative and respectful.

I went to one funeral where we were asked to wear the deceased favorite colour (pink) though. My friends and I just wore pink cardigans/shirts under black jackets. Others went all out with the pink.

I agree.

(The pink idea is a very nice idea, as well)

First off Im really sorry to hear about your fiance's grandmother and I hope she pulls through. as most others have mentioned black, navy, grey. Colors that are dark, neutral and dont draw attention. Last time I went to a funeral I wore black pants with a black turtle neck and a grey coat.