What to Wear in Italy?

Jun 18, 2008
I am going to Italy in mid October. I have absolutely no clue what to wear. I think it will be in the 60s. Please, anyone have advice on what to wear to be comfortable but not look like a hag? We are going to Positano and Capri. I'm 41...help me with my attire!!

Also, not sure what type of jacket to bring.

Thanks!

Attachments

• myspace.jpg
    myspace.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 310
Bring as little as possible and SHOP, SHOP, SHOP! Actually, it'll start getting chilly. Jeans, sweaters, scarves and a smart coat will be fine. When was in Italy, I remember that the women always looked so "dressed" even at the supermarket!

Bring as little as possible and SHOP, SHOP, SHOP! Actually, it'll start getting chilly. Jeans, sweaters, scarves and a smart coat will be fine. When was in Italy, I remember that the women always looked so "dressed" even at the supermarket!

I agree with bags&shoes - she gave you some good wardrobe ideas. I'd also suggest packing a fab pair of winter sunglasses (Italians wear sunglasses ALL year round no matter what the weather is like). Don't be afraid to wear colorful acessories like an orange scarf or gloves. For daytime shoes, I'd suggest some tods flats or any ballet flat.

My boyfriend is studying abroad in Italy for the semester and I'm going to visit him in May for 10 days. We'll be staying in/by Florence and by Venice, and although we plan on doing some sight-seeing, I don't think we'll be walking TOO much. I'm 20 and active, so walking definitely isn't a problem but I want to get some shoes/sandals that will go with the outfits I plan on bringing. I have plenty of comfortable sneakers but I'd rather get something less sporty which I can wear with dresses and such. I was thinking about getting something like this http://www.ae.com/web/browse/product.jsp?catId=cat120147&productId=1415_1550 but I'm not sure how comfortable they'll be since I've never owned sandals like that. I'm a college student and I'm not looking to spend more than $50, just want to find a pair of shoes/sandals that I can walk around in, something that's versatile and will go with most outfits ;) Thanks in advance!

The ones you linked to are cute but I would stay away from faux leather!! Man-made materials can be uncomfortable and unable to breathe, and may give you blisters (yes, I know they are sandals but what touches your skin can turn out to be *very* uncomfortable even after a short while).

You might look into something like this http://www.travelsmith.com/jump.jsp...&path=1,2,1816,1817&iProductID=15054&sortBy=0

Good luck and have fun on your trip!

the sandals you posted may be good if the weather is hot in May, but beware that in Venice and Florence weather can be a bit chillier especially in the evening or if it rains. I would go with a closed pair of shoes, maybe All Star can do the trick

the sandals you posted may be good if the weather is hot in May, but beware that in Venice and Florence weather can be a bit chillier especially in the evening or if it rains. I would go with a closed pair of shoes, maybe All Star can do the trick

Thanks! I think I'll get those sandals and wear them around a bit at home before I leave in May and get a pair of flats for night or something :smile:

when i went to Italy last summer i bought a pair of AE flats and they were surprisingly one of my most comfortable shoes. they have a nice comfy footbed and i would wear them morning to night

Leaving for Italy in a few weeks...
Since I figured most are more Fashionable and confident (even if though not all are wearing designer clothes) then my Canadian grounds:P, Im having trouble deciding what to pack!

So my question is: What would be a typical summer outfit you would wear in Italy. Designer or NOT
Pictures would be great!!:smile:

last time I went to Italy in late June, these were the kinds of outfits I wore. One thing to be aware of: depending on the city you're visiting, there can be a *lot* of cobblestoned streets! So unless you're very stable on stilettos, you're probably better off avoiding very thin heels in a city like Florence.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I am leaving for Italy in a week and I go often as I have family/bfriend there. I would suggest taking light clothing as it is going to be hot!! I usually wear light summer dresses with sandals. Keep it simple but elegant is my suggestion. Also don't overpack because the shopping is sooooo awesome over there that you will want to leave room in your luggage to bring back. Sorry don't have pics yet...I will work on getting some...have fun!!!! :smile:

Yes it will be hot. Light summer dresses would be on my list, too. And some sort of a hat for sun protection during the day if you plan to be outside. For shoes, I would wear sandals and, if I want a bit of height, espadrilles.

I vote dresses/skirts...no shorts. And a wedge or a flat for shoes!

I used to live in Rome, and always wore dresses, skirts or pants (in the winter, of course!). I hardly ever wore heels because the cobblestone streets were just impossible to walk on with them. (made even more difficult at night :tispy:smile:

Depending on where you go, it's smart to carry a thin cardigan - if you plan to visit any churches, there is often dress code and sleeves are a must! :smile:

honestly, heels are not even remotely practical unless just out for a meal. There's a lot of walking/hills/cobblestone. Pretty flats and sandals are great. People are not dressed to the 9's like you'd see in France. People look pulled together, but not overly dressed up.