What to Wear in Italy?

I went to Spain last summer (which I think is similar to Italy in that it's relatively laid back fashion-wise), and wore a lot of sundresses (mostly from Anthropologie), and some flat woven sandals from J Crew. I was there for sightseeing (ie lots of walking), and I only had carry-on luggage for a little over a week (I don't trust checked baggage, hehe), so I only packed flats since they would be ok for all situations and take up less space in my luggage. Ideally, I would have also had a pair of lower wedge heels for days I didn't walk as much.

Dress as you would for a major international city.

But the point I want to add is to consider your touring activities: if you'll be visiting historic churches, be prepared with a sleeved top or a shawl and not bare arms, and also pants or skirt longer than knee length. Some churches really patrol visitors' dress and turn away people in shorts or tank tops.

It will be incredibly hot in some places. Definitely comfortable shoes.

Dress as you would for a major international city.

But the point I want to add is to consider your touring activities: if you'll be visiting historic churches, be prepared with a sleeved top or a shawl and not bare arms, and also pants or skirt longer than knee length. Some churches really patrol visitors' dress and turn away people in shorts or tank tops.

It will be incredibly hot in some places. Definitely comfortable shoes.

I agree with this.

I am leaving for Italy in a week and I go often as I have family/bfriend there. I would suggest taking light clothing as it is going to be hot!! I usually wear light summer dresses with sandals. Keep it simple but elegant is my suggestion. Also don't overpack because the shopping is sooooo awesome over there that you will want to leave room in your luggage to bring back. Sorry don't have pics yet...I will work on getting some...have fun!!!! :smile:

This is spot on!

Cjones99, you will be in my neck of the woods. Celebray and Swanky have it right. Keep it understated and elegant. Anything overly dressy during the day will immediately mark you among locals as TOURIST or worse, trying too hard.

A crisp white shirt, loafers or driving shoes for walking around during the day (e.g. Tods or Tods like shoes) and fitted pants are good. If you like dresses, wear a nice basic shift paired with, for example Tods or Repettos ballerinas.
You can dress it up a bit with a scarf or bangles, cuffs. Even the so-called "ladies that lunch" of Roman society usually wear something casual for their day to day outfits.

Save the heels for night-time wear when you can be much more dressy.

(However, if you are going to Milan, you can be more adventurous with your dressing. :smile:)

I just saw this photo of Giovanna Battaglia in her style thread and this is a great peg for walking around Rome, Florence while on vacation.
The look is fresh, clean, comfortable and effortlessly chic.

attachment.php

honestly, heels are not even remotely practical unless just out for a meal. There's a lot of walking/hills/cobblestone. Pretty flats and sandals are great. People are not dressed to the 9's like you'd see in France. People look pulled together, but not overly dressed up.

I agree, especially if you are going to visit the historical center of a city where it's not allowed to use the car, unless you live there! Also, I can tell you it's very hot here these days so I would suggest cute flats (or low heel sandals), linen/cotton dresses and a nice bag. Make sure you pack a cute cardigan since (especially here in the North) it can get a bit humid during the evening/night.

Hi All

I will spent my holiday in Italy (Rome, Venice, Florence and Milan) during 6-15 Aug 2010. Heard that the weather is pretty hot and Humid.
wonder what should i wear?
Is Short acceptable there?

Thanks. :biggrin:

Hi All

I will spent my holiday in Italy (Rome, Venice, Florence and Milan) during 6-15 Aug 2010. Heard that the weather is pretty hot and Humid.
wonder what should i wear?
Is Short acceptable there?

Thanks. :biggrin:

We'll be in Italy around the same times :smile:

Nice shorts are def. acceptable! I'm expecting temps around 35-38° where I'll be (Umbria/Tuscany) so I am def. taking anything that will help me stay cool ;)

Firstly, you are extremely lucky as Italy is a beautiful country. Secondly, wear what you want depending on where you're going i.e. in tourist areas you'll be fine in a short dress, shorts etc BUT if you plan on visiting the Vatican/anything remotely religious then they will be forced to cover your legs and upper body if you're wearing very little on the top. Obviously avoid parading around in a bikini, but I doubt you're intending to do this anyway.

Take a look at Scott Schuman's blog (the sartorialist) as a lot of his shots are taken in Italy (Milan etc), so if you browse through his summer albums you'll get a taste of how varied the style is there. Oh and one last thing, she streets do not accommodate for high heels, I would even be weary of wearing wedges, so stick with flats especially if you're doing the tourist trips. If you're going out at night you could always wear heels/wedges and bring flats in your bag incase you find the old streets too much to hack!

Have a fab holiday :smile:

I wore a lot of james perse cotton sundresses there last summer on a trip. They covered my knees and I brought a rolled up cardigan or pashmina shawl in my bag everywhere so I could get into the churches without a problem (you need to have your shoulders and knees covered). HTH :smile:

I don't think I would wear shorts there. The Italians were so sophisticated when I went, I tried very hard not to look to "American" with shorts and Ts. I would go for dresses and skirts.

I have to ask. . . why do we try so hard not to look "American" when we go?
Do Italians try not to look Italian when they visit the US?
I don't mean anything, just super curious!

I wore tailored shorts when I was there when we weren't touring religious locations.